A most interesting forum

This is a discussion on A most interesting forum within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I live in central California, and applied for a CCW for the sole purpose of defense - driving up to my residence after dark and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A most interesting forum

A most interesting forum

I live in central California, and applied for a CCW for the sole purpose of defense - driving up to my residence after dark and surprising a BG (the house can not be seen from the public road - only one entrance/exit).
    I am in the process and will probably have the permit to carry in about 3-6 weeks.
    The thought of carrying has brought up dilemmas that I would like resoved before taking on the added responsibility. My questions will be about senarios and how one should react. I have read several posts that say only use your weapon if you yourself are threatened, or only if it is worth your house, which I fully agree.
    But is that the only criteria? I will post what I am not clear on, and ask for your advice.

PS As you may be able to tell I am a teacher (very verbose).
    Not a liberal though...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The criteria in which you are able to use a gun to defend yourself with is entirely dependent on the laws of the state that you are in. Every state is different, so the information that you get may or may not be accurate due to the fact that some people forget that the laws of their state don't apply to your state. Therefore it is your responsibility and yours alone, to know the laws of your state inside and out before you carry a concealed weapon.

Not a teacher, nor a liberal.

BTW...welcome to the forum. Its always good to have a another teacher that aint a liberal here...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Howdy from No Dak
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum. You should be able to find many of your answers here.
    Some of the answers that you cannot find here are the ones that you need to search for inside yourself.
    Then you must factor in a bit of individual state law and you're off to a great start.
    Feel free to ask questions.
    Ask lots of questions & you'll get lots of various answers.
    So you'll need to sift through things a bit.
    Your good common sense will get you going off in the correct direction.
    Ultimately you'll have found it very worthwhile that you've decided to join us.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri. Sounds like you already recieved some good advice.

VIP Member
    Welcome

VIP Member
    Hi.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum....
    Kudos to you on your quest for accurate information....
    Be sure to train as much as possible in the use of firearms....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Ron
    Welcome. Wow! Another academic, not a Liberal. Thought that we had just about become an extinct species.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Welcome to defensivecarry.com! Glad to have another enlightened soul from California see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    I live in central California, and applied for a CCW for the sole purpose of defense.

My questions will be about senarios and how one should react. I have read several posts that say only use your weapon if you yourself are threatened, or only if it is worth your house, which I fully agree.
    If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend two excellent books:
    • In The Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob. It's available on Amazon.com and a number of other places. Written over 25yrs ago, it's a bit dated, but it's all great material. It focuses on the pros/cons and the decisions you must make as someone armed with a weapon. It speaks about the many "mines" that are placed in front of you by the laws, people's ability to still sue you in civil court, etc.
    • How To Own A Gun And Stay Out Of Jail: California, by John Machtinger. Very good summary of the basic laws in California. While sometimes still not in plain English, given how twisted some of the laws really are (as written), it is a good book to have to help clarify most of the requirements you have legally.

Carried for years in California, myself.

California's one of those places where, in a very real sense, criminals as "victims" are afforded almost more "rights" than defenders against them. If you do find it necessary to defend the life of yourself or your loved ones, at least in California you should be prepared to lose everything you have financially from the whirlwind that's kicked up in the wake of that action. Sadly, the schmucks folks have voted into government, there, have deemed it a worthwhile sport to go after a person's very last nickel in recompense of the effrontery of defending one's self. Leastwise, that's the practical effect of whatever prompts such thinking in the first place. For the foreseeable future, that's the way it is. Eyes wide open. Good luck!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Welcome
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

GBS,

Welcome from FL's Space Coast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Welcome from NE Florida.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi from Fort Worth TX!

You may also be interested these resources:

Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Welcome from Madera, Central California!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links