Hello everyone

This is a discussion on Hello everyone within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; As way of introduction, it's best to do it this way: From my "about Dave" page: I started Rochester Personal Defense about a year ago ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Hello everyone

As way of introduction, it's best to do it this way:

From my "about Dave" page:

I started Rochester Personal Defense about a year ago after discovering that there is a need for someone versatile to fill the gap between the small, feel good seminars and the martial arts dojos.
    History

My interest in self defense started in 1993 when I was 'introduced' to the world of firearms by my father, who was the organizer of a pistol match at one of our local gun clubs. Right from the beginning, I felt I wanted to learn everything and anything about how to shoot my best and the legal rights and responsibilities of carrying a firearm. Under my Dad's watchful eyes, I quickly worked my way up from the most basic levels to an intermediate point where I felt confident and secure with my skills. I started developing the mindset for carrying a firearm for self defense fairly early and it has since expanded as my skills have grown.

It did not take long to figure out that I was learning one solution of a wider set of problems. I started looking into other forms of self defense, such as hand to hand, sprays, impact type weapons, etc. I found myself attending many different schools as I learned. I went through a police academy and received a New York State Police Certification. I went to training facilities around the East Coast and took classes in personal combatives, tactical operations, SWAT training, baton, pepper spray, edged weapons, firearms, and evasive driving. All of the training and experience that I received from those classes has been whittled down and separated into what I offer in the classes I teach.

Dave Jenkins Philosophy

The basic idea that I believe in is simple: I want to be able to live my life without the threat or fear of something bad happening to me. I have taken steps to ensure that I will have a better than average chance of prevailing in any encounter or situation I run into. I will win and I will go home every night, no matter what the odds, no matter what the situation. This statement may sound aggressive or harsh, but it is true and it is the attitude that you should have or should start developing in your life.

I believe in the "why" behind the "what" in my training. For instance: when I am attending a class, I learn better and faster by knowing WHY I am doing a skill or tactic, WHY it will make me safe and WHAT that skill or tactic will do to get me my end result. I can translate this into my teachings. For instance: when I am showing a student how to counter a punch, I also show them how to set yourself up to counter a secondary attack as well as set up your own defensive attack. As the skill (the 'what') is explained, I also add in the 'why' which puts the skill into the proper context thus the student actually will learn faster and better.

This is not meant to be a sales pitch or commercial for me. This is the easiest way for me to intro myself.......

I look forward to the interesting conversations and tidbits that all of us can generate and participate in.

Go forth and be safe!!!

Dave

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Welcome to Defensive Carry from VA, glad to have you aboard!

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Dave, from PA - and thanks for the detailed intro.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    welcome aboard Dave

Dave, welcome from Pennsylvania. Glad you joined!

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Missouri.

VIP Member
    Welcome

Lead Moderator
    Good intro, welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

1943 - 2009
    Welcome from Montana.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama, Dave.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Welcome from FL's Space Coast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Welcome from NE Florida.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Welcome aboard!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Dave, welcome from California!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links