Checking in from Baghdad

This is a discussion on Checking in from Baghdad within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I've been here in Baghdad since June 2003 as a contractor. Retired from the Navy in 2000. Raised outside Philly, I now call Denver, CO ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking in from Baghdad

Checking in from Baghdad

I've been here in Baghdad since June 2003 as a contractor. Retired from the Navy in 2000. Raised outside Philly, I now call Denver, CO home and hope to return in November. Very interested in CC for self-defense and have been mostly looking at the Glock 27, 23, and SIG P239. I spent most of my military time on Quick Reaction Force teams for base defense. I always had a 45 cal and 12 guage. I was usally a sharpshooter/sniper so I also had rifles for those purposes that varied base to base. Trained by the USMC, GSA, and the Federal Protective Service I firmly believe in stopping power. Looking for ideas on CC, choice of weapons, and just generally related info.
    Managerial Nightmare
    A proud supplier of ex-managers to mental health clinics.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    RB...

welcome. this is a great site for info. we're all still learning (from everyone).

i can't offer a whole lot of insite into what to buy for CC...as my state has VERY restrictive permits, and moving is not really an option at the moment...

the advice that I seem to have picked up from the forum is carry whatever is comfortable for you.

If you like 1911, carry a 1911.

If you like Glock, carry a Glock.

We have a few guys who enjoy shooting revolovers, however usually carry an autoloader, again, their choice!

It's all in you're comfort level.
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will learn plenty on the forum. I have and carry a Glock 27 and Glock 23. I am very happy with both, they are both very reliable and accurate enough for thier purpose (Self Defense). Most of the time when I carry the 27 it is loaded with Speer 155 gr Gold Dots. I don't really know why, but I prefer the feel and balance of the 27 over the 23. Just a personal preference i guess.

Assistant Administrator
    Hey Rat - welcome Don't envy you your current location too much - keep your head down and watch your six.

There are so many options for carry really - much depends on build, environment and the effect of that on clothing choices etc. From a practical and function POV, best thing you could do IMO is lay hands on some pieces and try em out.

I am a SIG carrier, tho mine is full size, 226. I shoot IDPA and some of the best shooters are using G17's some 19's and shoot darned well with em.

If you have specific questions - give some info re budget factors, your body type and expected clothing, preferences for rig (IWB, OWB, pocket etc) and we'll all throw in enough 2c I expect to make a full dollar
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

welcome to the forum Rat... Tanks for doing your part of in Baghdad......
    Carry piece? hmmm <scratching head> depeneds if you're taking about over there <Iraq> or in Denver.... If over there....I'd say whatever the natives are carrying, due to plenty of parts, spare mags, etc...........In Denver? well.....Personally, I've carried a H&K P7series, sig228, sig226, S&W ASP, Browning HPs, most of the 1911 flavors......a lotta Smiths, autos and wheelies..
    yes,.. a few Glocks as well........
    What's your preference? DA/SA auto? revolver? cost factor? etc.. you've got a LOT of GOOD people here to help you through your choices..pull up a chair, pop open a cold one (your preference> and start sifting through the postings...

Welcome .. I prefer a 1911 for carry myself

Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome

Thanks for joining the forum.:unitedsta
    You'll fit right in here!
    By The Way....You might not be aware of this but, we work very closely with the Armed Forces Recruiting Offices and when you registered on the forum...you simultaneously signed up for yet another stint in the Navy. Welcome Aboard Sailor!

DC Founder
    Welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I have always found that securing a firearm in any foreign shore is as close as your nearest cabbie. Those guys can get you anything if you've got the $$$$. I personally would NOT walk around Baghdad unarmed. If it was me, I'd have a small Glock M27 and a couple sp M22 Hi-Cap mags as backups. Get a Blade Tech IWB for carry. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RatBastard
    Very interested in CC for self-defense and have been mostly looking at the Glock 27, 23, and SIG P239.
    First, Welcome!

I'd go for the SIG 239. If 9mm isn't what you want the .40 also shoot really nice. The 239 has the reputation of being one of the best shooters in it's class on the market,
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I'm getting my CC when I return to Denver. Don't want a weapon here in Baghdad. I'm in good company of military types that take care of that kind of thing. In fact, unauthorized possesion of a firearm will get you fired on the next flight out of here.

BTW- I really like the success stories in the forum. When I do get back I'm currently thinking of a 40 cal. I've tried 9 mm and 38 cal but just don't feel like they have the stopping power I want. The 1911 feels like an old friend but is a bit large to carry. I'll look for a range back home that rents so I can try before buying.
    Managerial Nightmare

VIP Member
    Welcome, RatBastard!

http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/statutes/18-12-214.htm is a good place to start on CCW info in Colorado...

Basically there are only 3 places in Colorado that a licensed CCW cannot legally carry:

Designated Federal buildings ( Post Office )
    Schools
    Buildings that have either a metal detector or physical searches at the entrance.

You can legally carry in a bar ( as to the wisdom.... ). Your CCW is treated just like your drivers license... .05 blood alchohol = trouble.

Also, you need a CCW to legally transport "assault weapons" through the city and county of Denver. Are you going to live in the city of Denver or one of the suburbs when you return? If you know which county you are going to reside in, check the County Sherif's website for CCW requirements and State law.

And, it will probably be cooler in Colorado around November than it is in Baghdad!
    Last edited by Team American; July 20th, 2005 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    God Bless and be with you.

I was with 1165th MP Company Fairhope Alabama over there Spring, Summer and Fall of 2003. Baghdad and all sorts of other places for various duty. I had to come back to states for surgery and recovery then Army "let me go" Medical discharge. Rest of my guys had to stay for several more months before they got to come home.

You get to see \ visit the Olympic Diving Pool? My team was able to get a swim and diving in there before coming home.
    For God, Family and Country!

I'm out in Douglas County and know that the city of Denver has CCW limits. We'll be moving to Castle Rock when I get back.

Was the Olympic Diving Pool was the one near ORHA/CPA at the Republican Palace and across the street from the bombed out palace we called 'Baghdad Bobs'? It had 3 diving boards and stadium seating on the sides? If so it is gone now. It got bulldozed.
    Managerial Nightmare

VIP Member
    Here is the link to the Douglas County Sheriff's Dept. CCW info:

http://www.dcsheriff.net/main/divisi...ations/ccw.htm

Castle Rock is a great area...I was down there for a wedding 3 weeks ago, and was really suprised how much the town and surrounding county have grown.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links