Newbie to this forum, newbie to firearms

This is a discussion on Newbie to this forum, newbie to firearms within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Mellow greetings to all of you! I have only recently (finally!) decided to do what it takes to get a firearms acquisition permit, so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to this forum, newbie to firearms

Newbie to this forum, newbie to firearms

Mellow greetings to all of you!

I have only recently (finally!) decided to do what it takes to get a firearms acquisition permit, so I don't have any first-hand experience with firearms yet.

I joined this forum because like-minded people are very hard to find in my country, and I'll need a lot of determination and patience to jump through all the hoops. The prospect that I'll never have a CCW permit (at least not in this country) isn't exactly encouraging. But at least I'll have a gun (or two) at home. Better than nothing.

Best wishes to all of you!

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Welcome to the forum! Everyone here will help you with your questions, just ask.

I fondly remember my Army service in Munich in the sixties. I loved that city, and Bavaria in general.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Welcome Look forward to your posts ask away there very knowledgeable people here

Lead Moderator
    welcome. too bad you can not carry in your country.

Welcome to the forum. You will find a tremendous amount of help here. I know I have.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forums I hope you enjoy your visits, and all your questions are answered.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome!

That's great!
    Do you have any idea what model of handgun you'll be buying?

What are your laws?
    Are you able to own more than one handgun?
    Some information about your firearms regulations would be an interesting future thread topic.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Choice of handgun

I am currently considering the following handguns for future ownership. Having never fired any of them, I can only preselect by design and specifications.

Glock 17
    SigSauer P-226
    H&K USP 9mm
    Walther P-99
    Rohrbaugh R-9 (okay, this is rather silly since it's a weapon specifically designed for carrying, but I can dream...)

I'm obviously a sucker for 9mm, but like I said, I'm inexperienced. Gotta look into the advantages/disadvantages of different calibers.

I plan on starting a thread about comparing gun laws in different countries / states, but I still have to decide whether to wait for experience with de facto enforcement of the law or whether I'll just summarize the textbook law. Any preference?

Well, here's a brief outline to answer your quantity question:

As a gun owner for "sporting purposes", you can have a maximum of two handguns and 3 rifles (manual action or semi-auto only, and no pump-action).

In case you're wondering "Why no pump-action?": Our lawmakers "reasoned" that any self-respecting psychopath will go on his killing spree with a pump-action shotgun. So, if we just outlaw this kind of weapon, the psychos will lose interest in killing. Simple, eh?

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    wow...semi auto but not pump action....

thats interesting...

as far as having only two handguns and 3 rifles..

my suggestions are go to with a Sig 226 in 9mm. if prices on ammo are better on .22, i'd look into picking up a .22 pistol...but that's all my opinion :)

--Jim

P.S. - Welcome to the Forum!!!
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    Ibex - welcome to you - from the other side of ''the pond"

My daily carry is the SIG 226 ST in 9mm - bit heavier than the std 226 but IMO a great gun. Also tho the Glock 17 is extremely popular and if you get on with its ergonomics then it'll be a cheaper and reliable option.

Yes, the R9 is probably way too pricey to get if not for carry and the P99 - well I have a SW99 which is same thing really - great gun and good for concealment but IMO you want to go for what we call ''full size'' as against a compact version.

HK USP too a nice one to consider - you'll find here that out of all of us - we have about everything!! Here is my SIG.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Welcome to the forum. Being from Kalifornia, I sometimes forget that there are worse places as far as firearms laws go. All of your choices for firearms look good. The choice will probably be just a matter of preferences, my personal preferece would be for the Sig. If you get a firearm you are not satisfied with, can you sell it and replace it with another one? Also, do they have ranges where you can try out the firearms before you buy them?

WELCOME to the forum.. !!!

Administrator

Interesting

"In case you're wondering "Why no pump-action?": Our lawmakers "reasoned" that any self-respecting psychopath will go on his killing spree with a pump-action shotgun. So, if we just outlaw this kind of weapon, the psychos will lose interest in killing. Simple, eh?"

That sounds just like Ultra~Liberal Left Good Old USA Logic...only you would need to lump the semi~auto right in there with the pump action.

Welcome!

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure you'll learn a lot here; I know I have.

By the way, NRW - is that Nord Rhein Westfalen?

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's really great to meet y'all!

I'm glad I made a reasonable pre-selection and I want to thank you for your advice.

@Dirkster:

That's correct!
    But gun laws in Germany (as far as I can tell) are entirely federal, for better or worse. So I'll have to leave the whole country (or start a revolution ) if I ever want to carry, and since I only know German and English, my choices are limited.

@ uudl:

Yes, you can sell or trade firearms, you "only" have to un-register the one you're selling and register the one you bought at a police station no longer than one week after transfer of ownership.

That way, the JBTs always know exactly where to confiscate when the time for tyranny has come... again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links