Hello from Nashville.

This is a discussion on Hello from Nashville. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I found this Forum yesterday and had to register. I'm a long time shooter and gun nut but only recently received my carry permit (like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Nashville.

Hello from Nashville.

I found this Forum yesterday and had to register. I'm a long time shooter and gun nut but only recently received my carry permit (like one week ago today).

I'm recently retired/disabled due to severe back trouble (surgery, fusion, nerve damage, etc.) so I knew it was time to get my carry permit: I'm too old to fist fight and too broken down to run, that didn't leave many options other than get my carry permit or prepare to be a victim. Our neighborhood has also recently declined and, like everywhere else, crime is on the rise.

Someone tried to break into our apartment with a crowbar at 12:30 in the morning last July. I woke up when I heard the noise but since I thought it was the cat, I'd really only gotten up to have a cigarette - I was lucky , simple as that. When I heard prying at the door again I grabbed my Mossberg and prepared for something ugly. I managed to run them off by banging on the door but, since the odds are against facing a home invasion in the first place, I chose not to push my luck any further and began working toward my carry permit. After all, aren't we "suppose" to be safer when we're at home then when we're out in public with unknown variables? Not very encouraging to say the least.

BTW, while I kept the door covered I had my wife call 911 from our bedroom (the furthest room from the door), .357 S&W close at hand. It turned out okay I guess but it took 30 minutes for the Police (one officer) to arrive and nobody has yet been arrested, doubt they ever will be. Since our incident there have been four or five other break ins in our complex ... oh yeah, management is really concerned.

While I prefer 1911s, I'm currently carrying a S&W 642 (.38spl. +P) in an Alessi Hard Shell Talon - not the most effective weapon by any means but until finances improve it beats going unarmed. If nothing else I'll probably switch to my S&W M66 (2-1/2" .357mag) when weather allows more appropriate covering garments.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending lots of time here. I can already tell there's tons of experience I can learn from and some really good people contributing.
    Jack

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Welcome,

I'm just down the road from you in Chattanooga.

Greetings from Georgia!!

Congrats on your CCW!! Stay Safe, Shoot Straight! I've spent some time in the urban part of Music City, always felt the need to keep my head on a swivel, although Franklin and Brentwood seem safe.
    Pershing SIR!!

Welcome to the forum, sir. I'm glad that you were able to thwart the break-in.

Since you are a 1911 fan, I'm sure you'll be hearing from Bruce soon.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Frontsight, that's a pretty fair evaluation of the Nashville area. I worked downtown until late January: Lots of mentally unstable folks, punks and wannabees roaming the streets even in the daytime. I tried to never let down my guard but working in a Gov't Office (TDOT) the most effective thing I could carry was my Benchmade(s) ... another strong positive for retirement, I can carry whenever and where ever I want!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30
    Since you are a 1911 fan, I'm sure you'll be hearing from Bruce soon.
    Not sure if that's good or I'm in trouble already ... sorry, paranoia comes with marriage.
    Jack

VIP Member
    Hey, another Nashvillian! Welcome to the boards! I work in north Nashville, not too far from the Capitol.

I can also relate to back problems and spinal fusion. I was burglarized late last December when I wasn't home; apparently some guys wanted some free Christmas presents and all they got was my watch, but not before they tossed my place inside out and vandalized my gun safe. They also got two other neighbors. All target houses belonged to young or very old females living in corner buildings.

Enjoy the boards!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Not sure if that's good or I'm in trouble already ... sorry, paranoia comes with marriage.
    Jack
    Its a good thing. Bruce is one of the bigger 1911 fans here. Just don't be scared by his avatar.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    While I prefer 1911s
    Welcome, glad to have you here maclean3.

(seceretly goes and scrambles maclean3's name to add to my coded "list", looks like we are close now only 17 more and the transformation shall begin. MUAHAHAHA)

Welcome Maclean. Yup there are a few of us 1911 fans out there.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Administrator

Great Intro maclean3

We're happy to have you here.
    Keep on posting.
    Glad that you made it through that little "situation" OK.
    Fantastic that you decided to take positive measures to insure your family & personal safety. Kudos!
    You'll feel so much better being "out & about" armed.
    It's a great feeling.
    BTW ~ I might copy part of your introduction posting into another forum (at some future point in time) if that's OK with you.
    It's an interesting "real life" scenario.
    I think I'll move it into Citizen Success Stories since you and your Mossberg Shotgun thwarted a certain Home Invasion.
    Anyway...Thanks for registering. Feel free to contribute posts to any forum thread! :unitedsta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Jack - welcome aboard

Nice intro piece you wrote and I am delighted you now have your CCW. I too am at that stage where fist fights probably would not get me far - no sugery on back but its a constant source of partial disablement at times.

Hope to see you post whenever it takes your fancy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

welcome

VIP Member
    Welcome!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    BTW ~ I might copy part of your introduction posting into another forum (at some future point in time) if that's OK with you.
    Wow, by all means feel free. I feel so "special" now (and for once it's got nothing to do with riding the short bus! )

Thanks for the warm welcome all, much appreciated. Betty, I worked over in the AJ Building (above TPAC). If you're over by the capitol then you're well aware of the mental cases I was referring to.

Bruce, I'm all for that "transformation" as long as I'm not required to buy a Kimber (I'm a Colt man)! In all honesty, my favorite aspect of the 1911 is the shot to shot consistency in trigger pull - same can be said of Glocks too so I've considered getting one of those at some point ... so many choices, so little cash.

Spent most of the day reading the other folders: CCW issues, LEO encounters, etc. - VERY helpful. Also seriously considering a membership in USCCA when payday comes around again, I'm really impressed with what I've read so far.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links