Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greeting from Illinois

1K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Mongo 
#1 ·
Hey all! My name is Brad, I live in southern Illinois as of right now, I'm 21 and am attending SIU in Carbondale (oddly enough :biggrin: ) I recently made my first gun purchase, an S&W 686 .357 4" barrel. I've been wanting a handgun for a long time and a little while before my 21st b-day, I sent in my firearms owners id card into the state.

I choose a wheel gun as my first because I was convinced by a friend that it would be a good choice. That, and on my own accord, I love revolvers. My second choice was going to be a Glock and while there's nothing wrong with one, I figured I'd get some practice with something easy to operate, clean, etc... Before I purchased the 686 I got incentive and went to my local shooting range, rented a Ruger GP-100 .357 and put about 600 rounds though it, half .38 spl and half .38+p. I have never fired magnum ammo as of yet. I found I really liked the feel of the wheel gun and grew very comfortable with it, I've also shot Glocks and my friend's Beretta 92. So, I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I'm going to devirginize my 686 hopefully on Sunday, depending on how much money I have, and am going to do the same ammo choice, few boxes of .38 and a few of +p, gradually moving up to the very expensive .357 magnum load :wink:

And yes, Illinois doesn't have a CCW, and I doubt we ever will, but I'm in full support of one (very recently it got voted in the house but everyone seemed to have lost track of it after that). Damn you mayor Daily!

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome rat - :smile:

The 686 is a fine revolver - and having teethed on revo's way back still have a soft spot for them - a very good way to start and gain general competence.

#4 ·
Rat686 I have to commend you on your choice of a handgun. Of course great minds think alike. My first handgun was a S&W 686 4". I have put around 7000 rounds through it, a lot of that magnum. It is an awesome revolver and it hooked me on revolvers for life.

Welcome to the forum. Fight the good fight in Illinois, or I suppose you could relocate at some point in the future.

Best,
-Scott-

#10 ·
Hi Brad ~ Some Friendly Greetings To You!

You sure are doing everything right! :unitedsta
So glad that you joined our little web fraternity.
Feel free to join right in. :smile:
You found yourself a whole bunch of really decent like minded people.

#14 ·
Hey Rat, Welcome. A wheelgun was my first purchase too. a little mousegun, .22lr, Still have it, great little plinker.

Have fun and I hope you get either a CCW or move to a State where people understand it's your job to protect yourself and your family.

#17 ·
Howdy Rat, congrats on the Smith. BTW Glocks are easier to clean than any revolver, but you got a great gun..

Why don't you move across the river with the rest of us freedom lovers, and get away from the Cook County shuffle.

You are only about 20 miles away from STL. After you graduate, come to the Show Me state. (stay out of the Peoples republics ... STL City, STL County) Work there, live elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.