Anyone else going through "man nesting"?

This is a discussion on Anyone else going through "man nesting"? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; You might also look at the CZ site, they have excellent handguns and are still reasonably priced. I have a CZ75 Compact PCR in 9mm, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else going through "man nesting"?

JRG
    You might also look at the CZ site, they have excellent handguns and are still reasonably priced. I have a CZ75 Compact PCR in 9mm, it is primary gun for carry and home SD. CZ-USA.com

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the Forum.
    The G19 is a really nice gun, especially if you think you might someday want to get your carry permit. I've been carrying one for roughly a year now and alternate between that and a .38spl snubby when a more concealable weapon is called for. At times I'll carry a 1911 .45 instead of the Glock.

As far as your concern over an accidental discharge, I'd recommend carrying the gun around your home for a while (in whatever holster you'd normally carry it in) but with the chamber empty. In time you'll see that a good holster will prevent the gun from discharging unintentionally and that'll do more for your confidence and peace of mind than any amount of supportive responses from other people. It's one of those things you really need to prove to yourself. Just remember that the Glock has no manual safety: If you should ever drop it, just let it fall. Trying to catch a falling Glock is where the majority of unintentional discharges happen. It's a tough gun and it'll handle hitting the floor just fine.

As far as whether or not to get your permit:
    When carry permits first became available in my state, I originally thought I'd get one just so I could carry while traveling. It's always nice to have that option should you feel the need, even if you never actually do carry it. By the time I got around to getting my permit, my needs and neighborhood had changed to the point where I felt better protected by carrying full time.

Hang around and you'll get some great insight from the folks here. Jump in anytime, we're glad to have you.
    Jack

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Welcome from Maryland!

I am somewhat skeptical of the biometric reader, myself. I have the regular GunVault and quite like it. The hand-shape4d keypad is easy to use quickly, and it has a manual key backup.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

pax
    Welcome aboard!

Woman's perspective here: to reduce the amount of resistance to gun ownership, try to get your wife involved in your safety choices. Have her help you research and pick out a good gun safe. Discuss and compare features versus price point. Talk with her about where to put the safe for maximum security and ease of access. Discuss how and where you'll store ammunition. Discuss how and when you will educate your child about firearms safety. The Eddie Eagle rules ("If you see a gun -- Stop! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult.") are vital, but even more vital is communicating to your wife that you are serious about keeping the kid safe. So enlist her help especially with your safety choices.

You've said the gun is non-negotiable (great!) -- so you should let your wife know you would be willing to negotiate on other things. She may want you to budget for the safe before you've even purchased the gun, for example. If so, do it and praise her foresight for thinking of it.

Heck, if you do it right, she might "insist" you take a class about firearms safety. Reluctantly agree ... ... and suggest she should take it too since she will also need to know what you are doing for safety's sake. (Ooooh, sneaky!)

If she suggests something you think is totally goofy, safety-wise, don't belittle her or try to shut her down. Instead, discuss the issue with her and have her help you research related issues. For instance, she may tell you that she does not want any ammunition in the home at first. That's not acceptable, because you want the gun for defense. But don't dig your heels in if you can help it. Instead, emphasize that you understand her concern and share it -- you, too, want your home to be as safe a place for your child as she does -- and then find some reading material about home security that you can discuss with her. Not just scary news stories, but common sense articles or books that suggest beefing up window and door locks, improving the exterior lighting, burying or camoflaging the spot where your phone line comes into the home, and so on. As you discuss these security-related issues, she'll probably come to see that your family needs to be prepared to cope with times when security does get breached. And then you can ask her, "Honey, what would we do if ...?" in a totally natural, non confrontational way. It will just be within the normal flow of conversation, and -- provided she has seen your commitment to the entire spectrum of security and safety measures -- chances are she'll come around to your way of thinking without any severe lobbying on your part.

Plus, truth be told, all that other stuff such as fixing the locks is just going to be a lot more useful for security, day in and day out, than your firearm will be. The firearm is only useful if your other measures fail, after all.

Good luck.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Welcome from Michigan!

You've gotten a lot of good advice in the preceding pages. And from your initial post, it sounds like you're off to a great start.

Even though I'm predominantly into the 1911, I do have three Glocks (all 9mm) and they are a very good pistol. Can't go wrong there. Pick up a light for the rail when you can, a very good tool to go with the pistol for nighttime home defense (I use a Kimber Desert Warrior w/Surefire X200B in that role).

Can't give you any advice on dealing with the wife, but you seem well reasoned, I'll bet she is too. Eventually, she'll probably come around with gentle prodding (NOT pushing).

Best of luck, and stick with the site, there's plenty to learn!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Good choice with the Glock 19.

If you conceal properly, the wife may not know for several weeks. At that point, you can say "why yes dear. I've been carrying for several weeks, and it has not caused any problems."

Good advice about involving your wife with decisions besides carrying.

Take her shooting, to the range with you.

welcome to defensivecarry
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the group from VA

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard.

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Cheers, thanks for the comments, I will definitely look into some courses and dvd's, great advice, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.
    The G19 is a really nice gun, especially if you think you might someday want to get your carry permit. I've been carrying one for roughly a year now and alternate between that and a .38spl snubby when a more concealable weapon is called for. At times I'll carry a 1911 .45 instead of the Glock.

As far as your concern over an accidental discharge, I'd recommend carrying the gun around your home for a while (in whatever holster you'd normally carry it in) but with the chamber empty. In time you'll see that a good holster will prevent the gun from discharging unintentionally and that'll do more for your confidence and peace of mind than any amount of supportive responses from other people. It's one of those things you really need to prove to yourself. Just remember that the Glock has no manual safety: If you should ever drop it, just let it fall. Trying to catch a falling Glock is where the majority of unintentional discharges happen. It's a tough gun and it'll handle hitting the floor just fine.

As far as whether or not to get your permit:
    When carry permits first became available in my state, I originally thought I'd get one just so I could carry while traveling. It's always nice to have that option should you feel the need, even if you never actually do carry it. By the time I got around to getting my permit, my needs and neighborhood had changed to the point where I felt better protected by carrying full time.

Hang around and you'll get some great insight from the folks here. Jump in anytime, we're glad to have you.
    Jack

Thanks Jack, that was the major reason I am leaning toward the glock. Now I have to decide between 9mm and 45. Maybe I will just get both

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Welcome aboard!

Woman's perspective here: to reduce the amount of resistance to gun ownership, try to get your wife involved in your safety choices. Have her help you research and pick out a good gun safe. Discuss and compare features versus price point. Talk with her about where to put the safe for maximum security and ease of access. Discuss how and where you'll store ammunition. Discuss how and when you will educate your child about firearms safety. The Eddie Eagle rules ("If you see a gun -- Stop! Don't Touch. Leave the Area. Tell an Adult.") are vital, but even more vital is communicating to your wife that you are serious about keeping the kid safe. So enlist her help especially with your safety choices.

You've said the gun is non-negotiable (great!) -- so you should let your wife know you would be willing to negotiate on other things. She may want you to budget for the safe before you've even purchased the gun, for example. If so, do it and praise her foresight for thinking of it.

Heck, if you do it right, she might "insist" you take a class about firearms safety. Reluctantly agree ... ... and suggest she should take it too since she will also need to know what you are doing for safety's sake. (Ooooh, sneaky!)

If she suggests something you think is totally goofy, safety-wise, don't belittle her or try to shut her down. Instead, discuss the issue with her and have her help you research related issues. For instance, she may tell you that she does not want any ammunition in the home at first. That's not acceptable, because you want the gun for defense. But don't dig your heels in if you can help it. Instead, emphasize that you understand her concern and share it -- you, too, want your home to be as safe a place for your child as she does -- and then find some reading material about home security that you can discuss with her. Not just scary news stories, but common sense articles or books that suggest beefing up window and door locks, improving the exterior lighting, burying or camoflaging the spot where your phone line comes into the home, and so on. As you discuss these security-related issues, she'll probably come to see that your family needs to be prepared to cope with times when security does get breached. And then you can ask her, "Honey, what would we do if ...?" in a totally natural, non confrontational way. It will just be within the normal flow of conversation, and -- provided she has seen your commitment to the entire spectrum of security and safety measures -- chances are she'll come around to your way of thinking without any severe lobbying on your part.

Plus, truth be told, all that other stuff such as fixing the locks is just going to be a lot more useful for security, day in and day out, than your firearm will be. The firearm is only useful if your other measures fail, after all.

Good luck.

pax
    Great stuff, thank you! My wife has already started "negotiating" Get a security system first, clean the garage, stop smoking, lose 20 pounds, and then we will discuss it... Yes dear! All pretty reasonable requests, maybe this gun will actually solve even more problems!! Thanks for the "better half" perspective!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Welcome from Savannah

Best of luck sorting out your security options. Others have offered some good tips and advice, I'm certain you will find a solution.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links