new member from alabama

This is a discussion on new member from alabama within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; greetings to all. i am a college professor and sporting clays shooter from alabama who has a ccw license but is a relative newcomer to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member from alabama

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

new member from alabama

greetings to all. i am a college professor and sporting clays shooter from alabama who has a ccw license but is a relative newcomer to handguns of any sort. i do like revolvers, however, and have several. my ccw gun is-surprise- a s&w chief's special in good old 38 spec caliber. model 36, blue, made about 1970 approximately. i also have a 686 and a ruger single action 32 h&r for plinking. i hope to learn some stuff about handguns. if anyone has a shotgun question, especially on english side-bys, i may be able to help. probably not, but you never know.
    thanks!
    Last edited by chiefs-special-guy; November 8th, 2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typo

2. Remove Ads

Welcome Pull up a chair ..

Assistant Administrator
    CSG - if I may abreviate - big welcome to you

That gun (Chief's Special) has class and history - many have been carried over a long time. We are here - obviously - very much into carry and the platform choices so - do feel free to ask or contribute knowledge to posts and re shotguns - I shoot clays way too little these days but do like my shotguns!!

I never yet have had a true English SBS shotgun - tho being an Englishman (was!!) I have a love for fine things like H&H, Purdy etc - but not the bufget ever to afford them .

I do still tho have my very first shotgun which is (sorta apology!) a Spanish - Sable 12G SBS, non eject but a gun I have always treasured. Cost me approx equivalent of $200 back in 1975, so I guess it was not really that cheap - I did also have stock lengthened to achieve the fit I wanted, tho that did not aesthetically do a lot for it.!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Welcome!

It's good to have you, a representative of college academia, here with us.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Welcome to the Forum. We look forward to your contributions.

Welcome to the group. I'm glad I'm not the only Prof here.
    I started out with a wheelgun, then shifted to a pistol.
    Read and ask, carry what you're comfortable with.

Again, Welcome.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Welcome to CombatCarry! I am originally from Alabama. I now live in South Carolina. Grew up in Birmingham. Moved about 1998 or so. Why did you get a CCW? I know Ala is not a shall issue state so you had to go to the sheriff. Just curious. How difficult was it for you? I'm sure we would all be interested in the process. Again welcome.

Welcome Chief and a big hearty Roll Tide, or War Damn Eagle if you are of the other football persuasion, I'm originally from East LA (East Lower Alabama), Geneva in fact. I live in Georgia now, and envy Bama CCWs' because they can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. We can't here in GA. What subject(s) do you teach?
    Pershing SIR!!

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.

Interesting choice on the carry gun, a real classic.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up Hi chiefs-special-guy

Welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for registering! :unitedsta
    Please feel welcome to be active on the forum.

BTW~Being an accomplished clay shooter should give you a very real advantage in shooting your handgun defensively.
    Just mentally transfer that "already ingrained" instinctive shotgun ability to "hit"....over from your shotgun to your defensive handgun & you've got it!
    You should be a "natural" defensive shooter.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Welcome to the Fourm !!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

thanks

i appreciate the kind welcome. in response to a few questions:
    1. i teach economics at auburn university. my work mostly deals with something called "game theory", but i do some empirical things as well. i actually published a scientific article on the physics of shotguns in the Journal of Applied Statistics, jan 2005 I believe.
    2. to get a ccw in alabama, you go to the sheriff. in lee county, the sheriff (jay jones) is quite helpful- I know him somewhat, and i actually took a handgun course from him (i.e., he was the instructor).
    3. every shotgun, except the mossberg bolt guns, is a thing of beauty, more or less. never apologize for any gun with two barrels- that pretty much defines cool to me. revolvers are cooler than pistols because at least revolvers have multiple chambers, if only one barrel. ( Not counting pepper box pistols..)
    4.profs must stick together, dpesec, or else we will find ourselves totally ignored..
    again, thanks.

never apologize for any gun with two barrels- that pretty much defines cool to me. revolvers are cooler than pistols because at least revolvers have multiple chambers, if only one barrel. ( Not counting pepper box pistols..)

How about Belt-Fed??? Or rotating multi-Barrel weapons?

Hi, chiefs. I'm in the 'bama too - in Montgomery, and I also share your love of the older Smith revolvers - I still have one of the first guns I bought, a 4" Smith 586, and it's one of the few I know I'll never part with. If you're in Birmingham, you may remember a gunsmith who passed away about 8-10 years ago named Harry Deal. Harry did a great action job on the revolver, and it's still tight and slick to this day.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Cool BAMA Rules

Quote Originally Posted by HollowpointHank
    I know Ala is not a shall issue state so you had to go to the sheriff. Just curious. How difficult was it for you? I'm sure we would all be interested in the process. Again welcome.
    I know this was not originally directed at me, but my very FIRST CCW permit was in Alabama in 1979 and it went thusly: Sheriff walks out into the bright sunshine squints at me. Notes Army ROTC uniform. Lokks again....states well...you're free white and over 21 so that'll be..............it was either $5 or $15 IIRC....and that was that! Thereafter I carried on campus and off. Had to actually DRAW just once in the middle of the night in the middle of town in my roomies car (I'm driving...borrowed for a date) and the next day the cops in all my criminal justice classes were saying that if I'd blown the dirt bags away they'd be givin' me the key to the city.....It's a middlin' long story that I'll save for another time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links