New member from Sweden

This is a discussion on New member from Sweden within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hi all! I have been a member for a couple of months now. Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Stockholm, Sweden, with my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New member from Sweden

New member from Sweden

Hi all!

I have been a member for a couple of months now. Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Stockholm, Sweden, with my wife and my dog. I'm 32 years old.

I have been shooting handguns for about 8 years. I have a limited experience from different guns, because I only shoot with my service gun. While I was in the army I used a Glock and now I use a SIG Sauer. I like my SIG better than the Glock.

I also have experience with assault rifles and machine guns from my military service.

That's about it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Welcome

Thanks

Welcome aboard from Virginia, The Old Dominion and Mother of Presidents.

While I have a thorough knowledge of several state's laws concerning firearms and a working knowledge of many more, I am completely ignorant of these laws in any other country. Other than outringht bans anyway.

Are civilians permited to generaly carry a handgun in Sweden? Is there a distinction between open carry and concealed carry as in most U.S. states? Is the cariage of firearms, long and short, outside the home controled by a permit or is it unlicensed? What are the laws governing the posesion/ownership of long and short guns in the home? -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
    Welcome aboard from Virginia, The Old Dominion and Mother of Presidents.

While I have a thorough knowledge of several state's laws concerning firearms and a working knowledge of many more, I am completely ignorant of these laws in any other country. Other than outringht bans anyway.

Are civilians permited to generaly carry a handgun in Sweden? Is there a distinction between open carry and concealed carry as in most U.S. states? Is the cariage of firearms, long and short, outside the home controled by a permit or is it unlicensed? What are the laws governing the posesion/ownership of long and short guns in the home? -Jay
    In Sweden you can under no circumstances carry a gun in public. In order to have a gun you need to get a license. You can only get a license if you are a member of a shooting club. You need to be an active member for 6 months before you can start to shoot more than 0.22 caliber. After 6 months you can start to shoot other calibers than 0.22. And after 1 year you can get a license for that certain weapon. The license is for sport shooting only. And to get the license you need to take a test on the shooting range. It's kind of hard and you need to practice a lot.

You can take the gun home, but it always needs to be locked in a gunsafe. You can only take it out to go to the shooting range. You can't wear a gun on you while doing other things than going to a range.

You can also get licenses for rifles and shotguns. But that is only for hunting purposes and the rules are the same as for handguns.

Hey, Sig. Glad to have you here. You can educate everyone on what firearms ownership is and isn't, in your country (and possible elsewhere in Europe).

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thanks guys!

Gun Laws in different Countries

Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post
    In Sweden you can under no circumstances carry a gun in public. In order to have a gun you need to get a license. You can only get a license if you are a member of a shooting club. You need to be an active member for 6 months before you can start to shoot more than 0.22 caliber. After 6 months you can start to shoot other calibers than 0.22. And after 1 year you can get a license for that certain weapon. The license is for sport shooting only. And to get the license you need to take a test on the shooting range. It's kind of hard and you need to practice a lot.

You can take the gun home, but it always needs to be locked in a gunsafe. You can only take it out to go to the shooting range. You can't wear a gun on you while doing other things than going to a range.

You can also get licenses for rifles and shotguns. But that is only for hunting purposes and the rules are the same as for handguns.
    Here is my two cents worth! Remember everything said in a blog is just hear sey and can't be used to save your behind in a court of Law.

I have heard that every able bodied male in Switzerland is required to own a machine gun and required to practice marksmanship on occasion too.

Incidentally there is a high rate of suicide in Switzerland but I don't think they use their machine guns to do it.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think that hand guns are pretty much banned in Australia and England now.

Which brings me to a question? How many members are there on this web site from Countries where Citizens can not posses guns or hand guns legally?

Ohio Saab Owner says Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Skibum4106 View Post
    Here is my two cents worth! Remember everything said in a blog is just hear sey and can't be used to save your behind in a court of Law.

I have heard that every able bodied male in Switzerland is required to own a machine gun and required to practice marksmanship on occasion too.

Incidentally there is a high rate of suicide in Switzerland but I don't think they use their machine guns to do it.

Correct me if I am wrong. I think that hand guns are pretty much banned in Australia and England now.

Which brings me to a question? How many members are there on this web site from Countries where Citizens can not posses guns or hand guns legally?
    I wouldn't know anything about Switzerland.

I think that most countries in Europe have similar laws like Sweden about owning a gun. No one can own them if them if they don't show that it is for sports or hunting. No one are able to carry it in public.
    I think that US are one of few countries that allows CCW??

I think that is very strange that a regular police officer in England and Norway are not allowed to carry a gun. It's beyond me how they can handle their work without carrying

Quote Originally Posted by philman View Post
    Ohio Saab Owner says Hello
    Hi! I got a Volvo

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sig sauer View Post

Thank you for the reply.

Is one permited to use the firearm in the home in case of deadly criminal home invasion?

Also I read you are a police officer. Is it just one national police force? In the states all sworn LEOs may at all times in all US states and teritories carry off duty. How about for you? Horror of horrors, You are not an unarmed officer like in UK are you?!?!

Anyway, you could immigrate here and enjoy all of your natural rights. So consider this an invitation.-Jay

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links