Getting my feet wet again. (central VA)

This is a discussion on Getting my feet wet again. (central VA) within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey everyone, my name is John. I've been lurking here for a couple days, and I wanted to register and make the most of all ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting my feet wet again. (central VA)

Hey everyone, my name is John. I've been lurking here for a couple days, and I wanted to register and make the most of all this awesome information I've found on this forum. here's a quote from my first post over on member meeting place, it pretty much sums up my introduction.

"I grew up around plenty of rifles, but my wife is pretty much anti-gun. I respect her opinions, but it's been six years since I've handled any firearms.. I think it's time to have some protection again, and I'm turning in my CHP application tomorrow after work.

Honestly, I'm not very familiar with handguns, other than the basics of how they work, how to handle, ect.. That's not the same as hands on training time though, so I'll be doing some practice with whatever gun I finally decide on.

I'm looking at purchasing a High Point .45 ACP, I found one that's just been broken in, is in good condition, and is a good price for something to learn with. ($140)

I would really like to find something left handed, as I'm a south paw, but everything I've seen is way out of my price range, so I think I'll just train myself to automatically go to a straight forward stance when shooting to keep shells off of me.

I could go wheel gun, which in all reality would be better for me to learn with when it comes to being a beginner with handguns.. but I'm a hefty guy and I don't think a wheel would be very comfortable to CC every day, which is my goal.

So, for now I'm gonna find a semi auto to learn with, and work with it until I'm comfortable handling it.

Should I be looking at another caliber as a first handgun? I'm limited as far as price goes, which is frustrating, but I do want to get something I can learn with and possibly CC until I can drop the coin on a better model. I'm probably not going to be going over $200 right now."

So hello to everyone, and I hope to learn everything I can here, and get some good real practice and training of my own.

VIP Member
    Hi John, welcome from another central VA guy.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Well the biggest thing that i see is what you are looking to buy. Hi-points are monsters. They are huge bulky guns and there might not be as much holster options as say a j frame smith which you might be able to get used but for a little more than you wanting. And as for learning i would say 22lr is best but not suggested for carry and 9mm is much cheaper to shoot than your 45 ammo. FWIW
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Welcome from Alabama
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend with a HiPoint .45 and he likes it. I've shot it and it is OK. As mentioned before, it's pretty bulky. If you aren't planning on carrying it a lot, an Uncle Mike's nylon holster will probably suit it just fine. Definitely put a bunch of rounds through it to make sure it is reliable. Semi auto handguns can be finicky with the ammo you feed it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Welcome from Lynchburg!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Arizona.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    welcome from Texas

this is JMO, but with our political climate changing along with prices, I would look at getting your hands on a quality CCW piece ASAP, don't go with a hi-point now to "start" with and plan on getting something later, since you don't really want a wheelie and budget is a concern, I think a Glock would give you the best all around option of price, quality, etc, like maybe a 19
    again, just my opinion
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama, John.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

1943 - 2009
    Welcome from Montana.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Welcome from Mass.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Hi John and welcome from Fort Worth TX!

Personally, I think 9mm is a great round to start with. They are inexpensive and available in different configurations. Glocks and Springfield XD-9's are well-respected choices.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links