Hi, y'all

Hi, y'all

This is a discussion on Hi, y'all within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Just wanted to introduce myself. Been lurking for a while and come to conclusion that compared to a few other gun forums, you guys talk ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, y'all

Hi, y'all

Just wanted to introduce myself. Been lurking for a while and come to conclusion that compared to a few other gun forums, you guys talk like ya got some sense! (Hope you feel the same about me... ).

Been carrying for years with a CCW here in NC. The Glock 27 is my "winter gun" while the Glock 23 is my "summer gun". And usually carry a NAA 22 mag as a BUG. After going thru a number of autos, I have settled on the 40 cal. Glocks for simplicity (same ammo - both guns).

Anyway, hi.
    Attached Images

GhostRider,

Welcome to the forum...you'll like it here.

Regards,

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

welcome to the forum
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Assistant Administrator
    Ghost - welcome aboard

Thx for your comments too - indeed we do feel this forum has much sense to offer, plus some fun too!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum....... We're trying to be the voice of reason!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

DC Founder
    Welcome to the forum!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks, guys.

I feel the necessity of being up front with y'all right off the bat. I joined this forum for one simple reason. I'm selfish.

I have been riding motorcycles for years, and decided a couple of years ago to take an "advanced rider's course" at a local dealer. Current bike is a big old heavy HD Fatboy. The first thing the instructor did was ask everyone in the room to stand, introduce themselves and then tell everyone WHY they were there. When it came my turn, I stood, said my name and then said "Although I have been riding for years now, I figured if it ever got to the point where I thought I knew everything there was to know about riding a motorcycle, then it would be time to hang up my helmet and sell my bike". Darned if the instructor taught me some things I didn't realize about how to handle a motorcycle...

Although I have fired most everything Uncle Sam had to offer when I was in the service (and became fairly good with some of the hardware), and even though I try to make it a habit of "self training" with my Glocks by hours of range time, I figured that if it ever got to the point that I thought I knew everything there was to know about self defense, then it would be time to sell my weapons and hide under the bed.

So I joined this forum because I'm selfish. I have already learned some good stuff from you guys just by lurking. Hopefully, I will never stop learning...

Thanks again for the welcome.

(Geezzz Bob. Shaddup! These people are going to think you don't know when to QUIT!)

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - nothing selfish dude - your reason is about same as most of us here!!

Whole deal is exchange of info and opinions - the better for us each to improve our mindsets, equipment and overall abilities.

Works for me!

I am a biker too, of many years - but ''only'' have a ''poor man's Harley'' - a Honda VTX. Suits me tho very well. I was gonna go do the advanced rider deal but locally they only run it about twice a year and so it's hard to time things right.

Could be I'll slot it in this year. I may have ridden the equivalent of four or five times round the globe but - am always eager to learn more. We never ever can know it all!
    Chris - P95

welcome

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    *snip* I am a biker too, of many years - but ''only'' have a ''poor man's Harley'' - a Honda VTX. Suits me tho very well. I was gonna go do the advanced rider deal but locally they only run it about twice a year and so it's hard to time things right.

Could be I'll slot it in this year. I may have ridden the equivalent of four or five times round the globe but - am always eager to learn more. We never ever can know it all!
    VTX (from what I understand) is a sweet ride. You have the 1800 or 1300 - those ARE the sizes, right? Both have good reviews, and I would be proud to have either. Actually, the Harley was NOT my idea - it was my wife's. So I took her up on it.

My oldest brother has a Kawaski Vulcan (?). He complains that Harley riders don't wave because we are "stuck up". I told him that when I'm meeting someone on the highway and I'm approaching the speed of light, I can't tell if you are on a Harley, Kaw, Honda or whatever. (I can USUALLY tell if you are on two or four wheels.) I wave at everyone - even the guys on the liquorsickles.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - it is indeed a very sweet ride - I added a decent Mustang seat, huge windshield, Rhinehart pipes, sissy bar - ya know - usual gear!!

I elected to go with the 1300 - tho 1800 is of course quicker and has injection but it is way more thirsty. Mine is normally aspirated but pipes added about another 8 HP and I get 45 mpg for sure and up to 50 on a long day's slow cruise - suits me Also the 1800 was when I bought mine, a retro style - prefered my own which is a sorta plain so called custom.

Round here ''Hog snobs'' are not too plentiful and overall - I find most folks exchange a wave, no trouble. To me a biker is a biker - we are the same mould pretty much whatever we ride.

Here it is, one of the pics from last year's (many) runs - it does have some decals added here and there since.

Chris - P95

VIP Member
    ...I gotta get my bike fixed....oh yeah...welcome Ghost Rider!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Wish I could brag about gas mileage like that, but mine runs in the mid 30's. I have a detachable windscreen, and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's on or off for the mpg's.

Last year, I rode the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and found that 45 mph is just perfect for a nice, lazy ride. (And it's fun in the tunnels - wife said I will never grow up...) If your part of the country is experiencing a drought, give me a call. I have come to conclusion that the rain gods have it in for me for some reason. (I must have made them mad in a different life...)

I have a Mustang seat as well - MUCH better than stock - and it holds up to humidity quite well.

Can't figure how to make the pics as large as yours, so I will settle for a thumbnail. Don't fuss at me for "Ole Yeller" being on a trailer - that pic was taken a couple of years ago for the trip to D.C. for Rolling Thunder and my wife refused to ride that far on the back. No sense of humor...
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    No drought here Ghost - you wanna go across to TX or OK - but then you'd come back with respiratory troubles from all them dang grass fires!!

NICE pic - and it's plenty large enough - mine start life huge but I size 'em down to 700 or less on max dimension.
    Chris - P95

Oh, and I forgot to add - South West PA? Your riding season it what? three weeks?

Just kidding - PA has got some of the nicest scenery in the whole U.S.of A., and I'm sure you enjoy it on that ride. I need to make it up into your area - it's on my short list.

And srfl - don't do what my Orthopedric (sp?) surgeon did last year. He hadn't ridden in years, and he put some gas in his bike - an old SC Highway Patrol Kaw, tried to fire it up and sprayed gasoline all over the inside of his garage. Seems all of the seals and hoses had cracked and kinda gone bad! Kool guy - he is (I guess) ~75 years old - brilliant, but no common sense...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links