Another new guy

Another new guy

This is a discussion on Another new guy within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hello everyone. My name is Gregg. I live in central oregon. I am really excited to get my CCW licance this spring. There is a ...

Thread: Another new guy

Another new guy

Hello everyone. My name is Gregg. I live in central oregon. I am really excited to get my CCW licance this spring. There is a training class here in town that I am going to attend but they dont start till the spring. THen with that class behind me Ill apply for my licance. I hope to learn alot about carry tactics as well as choose a proper carry pistol. Right now My collection is small. I have a S&W 686-1 .357mag 4" barrel SS. And a really cheap .380 Highpoint. The highpoint was sold here in town at a local retailer on a one time special for $50 so i really couldnt pass it by. It shoots really well and is very accurate. Its more of a "camping" protector than anything else. Although i might start packing the 357 for the woods.

Anyway enough of my babble, I hope to make some friends here..
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Welcome

Welcome! FYI, the proper carry pistol is the one you have on you when you need one.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

VIP Member
    I've only been here a few days myself, Gelicious. Very friendly, knowledgeable folks here...I'm learning a lot. Good luck in your class, and welcome!

Welcome. Great forum with experienced folks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Assistant Administrator
    Welcome Gregg

If you can find a suitable rig then that 686 would serve very well as a carry. If it is the earlier 6 shot then also a coupla speedloaders too could be handy - I favor the Safariland myself - Comp 1 being most economical for size re carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome.

Wow that was alot of welcomes real fast! hehe I thought about carrying the 686 but its real heavy and its a large frame so i think thats just a little large for me. I have had my eye on a .380 i forgot who makes it but others have carried it before. Some people dont think the .380 has enough stoping power but I am more of the "shot placement" type person, and if you get hit with a .380 REGUARDLESS of where your hit, i think it would stop the attacker long enough for you to take better aim and make the next one finish the encounter.

But Like i said im still learning... Please feel free to school me! I dont mind good information being hammerd home if needed!
    I carry because I care.
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Assistant Administrator
    Several .380's Gregg but maybe you are thinking of the Bersa Thunder .380 - it's been discussed along with others on this thread -

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6289

The NAA Guardian is also quite a popular small .380 too - as well as being available in .32. No doubt also the kel-Tec P3AT is another but that is not to everyone's taste for comfort - the G2 version out now is tho reputed to be a better gun for reliability than its predecessor.
    Chris - P95

amazing! thats the gun i was talking about. The bersa Thunder. Do they make that one in a 9mm? I like the 9 better than 380.. and that gun is in my price range. I saw one on gunbroker for about 200
    I carry because I care.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed yes - there is a 9mm - still IIRC called a Thunder.

I believe too these days there is a .45acp Bersa around but have no info and am open to correction.

Some will say - and maybe I agree up to a point - despite the gun's great performance i do suspect that it is not a ''high mileage capable'' gun. I mean by that - 1,000's of rounds of recreational shooting will probably show wear quicker than higher price guns.

That hardly matters tho IMO if we reckon a few hundered rounds break-in and practice - then carry. Gotta be a good option IMO - prices are so fair and sure help folks get started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW - to add - a member on THR ''Horgue'', runs a very handy site for Bersa owners and those interested - well worth a look -

http://www.geocities.com/bersa_thunder/
    Chris - P95

Nice thanks. Im kinda liking the Firestorm too.. more of a classic design. MMM cant wait to get one..
    I carry because I care.

Welcome, Gelicious!

I have a Mini Firestorm 40 and have been very happy. The Mini Firestorms and the Bersa Ultra Compacts are basically the same with a few cosmetic differences (i.e. the trigger guard). They are slightly larger than the Thunder 380 (& Firestorm 380), but are still quite concealable.

There are Bersas made in 380, 9mm, 40cal and 45cal. Here are links to the corporate/importer web sites. I hope that this info helps you.

http://www.firestorm-sgs.com/products.htm

http://www.bersa-llama.com/

Lead Moderator
    Welcome, and good luck with your class.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Thumbs up Gelicious

Welcome to the forum.
    You are very welcome here!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links