Questions from a new guy - Page 2

Questions from a new guy

This is a discussion on Questions from a new guy within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome to the board. I've been shooting for 40 years and I still learn something new here every day. BTW, your home state is our ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Welcome to the board. I've been shooting for 40 years and I still learn something new here every day. BTW, your home state is our favorite vacation destination.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by McInnis View Post
    .........When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling?
    Not uncomfortable but extremely aware of the presence of the gun. Kansas has only had CC for 2 years so I haven't been carrying as long as a lot of members here. I'm more at ease carrying now but I still remain aware of the presence of the gun.

What made you decide to carry concealed?
    Society

Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "Thank God I have my gun"?
    Several times.

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished that you weren't carrying?
    Not yet.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Welcome!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Thumbs up

So I was wondering if those of you who have been carrying for a while would mind giving me your thoughts on these questions:

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling?
    Yep. A few week to get past "uncomfortable." A few months to get to "This is the way it should feel and "uncomfortable" when without.

I finally moved out of Maryland back to a sane state.

Yep! Any number of times.

Nope!

Looking forward to your thoughts. I will take them seriously as I try to decide what I'll do.
    Welcome

From SWVA

dave

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

So I was wondering if those of you who have been carrying for a while would mind giving me your thoughts on these questions:

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling?

Looking forward to your thoughts. I will take them seriously as I try to decide what I'll do.

First of all, Welcome from South Carolina. Now to answer:

1) I was never uncomfortable carrying. Perhaps initially self conscious of my decision. Never uncomfortable with my weapon and equipment.

2) I made my decision to "carry concealed" because of my increased awareness of things going on in society, my community, etc of which I had no control over, but now am taking the steps to hopefully control my little space and the little space that my family occupies, in hopes of remaining as safe and secure as possible.

3) I thank God that he has made available my choice to carry. Luckily I have never "needed" due to any particular situation. But, you can't control what happens when you least expect it. Better to be prepared and not need than need and not have.

4) I've NEVER been in a situation to wish I wasn't carrying. I've been in some "gun free zones" that I wished I could/was carrying.

Again..welcome to this site and a wealth of information from many experienced folks.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Well I sure appreciate all the folks who have taken time to respond.

I own an old Charter Undercover .38 special, got it sometimes in the late 80s I think for the wife. If I were to carry, I would probably start with it.

Would I be better off starting with a pocket or IWB holster for it?

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    WELCOME. Much great info here. Many great people as well.

I never found it uncomfortable. It is not all kittens and pillows. A good holster and reasonably sized firearm make it not so bad. Finding the exact position on your belt, cant in the holster... stuff like that helps.

The realization that bad stuff is going to happen. I looked at my life, family, friends, city, home, daily routine... and recognized the situations I may have to face one day. There is a risk I will be put into a violent situation and I want control over the response I can give. A concealed pistol gives me additional options.

Yup. Never had to use it. It has to be ready when you need it. Not in your trunk, not locked up, not at home. Ready...

Not really.

It is a personal decision and one that I am glad you are taking it seriously. If you are responsible, have a cool personality (cool=calm), and a lot of respect for following the law, I say go for it!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Welcome from Michigan!

Maybe just a very little. Didn't take long at all to get over it.

Always seemed like a prudent thing to do. Never wanted to be a victim, and realized this is one of the best ways to prevent that. (Always lived in a "major" city, that may have a bearing on it?)

Yep.
    Not carrying legally, no.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard.

VIP Member
    Hi there.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Welcome from Washington State.

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

I felt uncomfortable maybe the first 2 times, after that, I now feel naked without one on. I even hate going to places that serve alcohol and have to leave my gun in the van.

Never been in a situation where I said Oh-Crap I wish I had my gun and thank G-d for that, I never want to be in that situation.

I started carrying because there are just bad/evil ruthless people without a conscience for other people's life or property .

I wish I can always carry. It is just not right that I am limited not being able to carry is eating places that serve alcohol. Just think of what is required of me in AZ.

Can never been convicted of DWI/DUI
    Can never been busted for drugs, including pot.
    Can never have a conviction for Domestic Assault.
    Can never be convicted of any type of Felony, violent or non-violent.
    There are also a handful of Misdemeanors that I could never been convicted of.

To Get my CCW, I had to get a background NICS check and had my finger-prints taken and had an additional federal background check.

That means I have to be "Squeaky Clean" just to obtain a CCW and I can't be trusted to CC in a Restaurant where alcohol is served.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Smile

Welcome from N. Florida

It did but very little.

I've always carried a gun in my car. After a couple of times when the "officers discretion" caused me a lot of time and money. I decided not to leave it up to them any longer. After a while I started CC all time.

Yes several times. Nothing happened but it gave me a real feeling of safety knowing I had it.

Nope.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    'A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is big enough to take away everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links