Questions from a new guy

Questions from a new guy

This is a discussion on Questions from a new guy within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I found your forum just last month and let me say how impressed I am with the wealth of information I've found here. I would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions from a new guy

I found your forum just last month and let me say how impressed I am with the wealth of information I've found here. I would like to not only introduce myself, but ask a few questions.

I grew up in a small town in Texas where it was normal for kids to take shotguns in their trucks so they could hunt together after school. I've owned firearms and hunted nearly all of my 52 years, but have never considered CC until a couple of years ago. And the main reason I started considering getting a CCW license is so that I wouldn't have to worry about keeping my revolver in my car or hotel room when I travel.

I live in Wyoming now, so I didn't need to take a CCW course to get a license, but I took one anyway and now I'm waiting for my application to be approved. Since I live in a "shall issue" state, it's just a matter of time. The course I took made me think about whether or not I will carry on my person. I'm still undecided. I guess I'm still not comfortable in being able to always follow the three safety rules for firearms if I do carry. And honestly, in all my years I can't think of one instance where I really wish I had been carrying a gun (except for one time with a really curious black bear). Lucky to have lived in some pretty good places I guess.

So I was wondering if those of you who have been carrying for a while would mind giving me your thoughts on these questions:

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling?

What made you decide to carry concealed?

Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "Thank God I have my gun"?

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished that you weren't carrying?

Looking forward to your thoughts. I will take them seriously as I try to decide what I'll do.

Welcome from central Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by McInnis View Post
    So I was wondering if those of you who have been carrying for a while would mind giving me your thoughts on these questions:

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling? Yes. Everybody is probably different, but it really didn't take me that long. Maybe 2 or 3 trips to Wally-World. Once I realized nobody noticed I was carrying a firearm, I felt fine.

What made you decide to carry concealed?Got married and had 2 kids. Actually, I was carrying for about 5 years before I got married, but not regularly. After I got married, I carried constantly.

Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "Thank God I have my gun"?I have been in many areas that I felt a little better that I had my gun, but have never been in a situation where I have needed it.

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished that you weren't carrying?NO. This is a crazy world we live in and you just never know when you will need your weapon to survive.

Looking forward to your thoughts. I will take them seriously as I try to decide what I'll do.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum.

AS to the first question, yes, but you'll get over it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

First off, welcome from Pennsylvania!

To answer your questions...

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling?
    Yes, carrying at first made me uncomfortable. I was constantly worried someone was going to "make" me. Eventually I became much more comfortable and now it's just like brushing my teeth.

Short story, there was an incident in my neighborhood that left me feeling completely defenseless.

I can't really say that I've been in a situation where I thanked God that I had a gun. It's more a sense of security that I can defend my own and myself should a situation ever arise.

Nope.

[QUOTE=McInnis;997265]
    When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? It felt like I had taken control of my families and my safety

If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling? From the moment I holstered up

Carrying an LEO around hurt my back too much

Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "Thank God I have my gun"? Everyday that I read the paper.

Have you ever been in a situation where you wished that you weren't carrying? Only due to state restrictions, but if I'm going into a place that doesn't allow, I'll leave my sidearm in the truck.[QUOTE]
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member

(1) Yes, it is more comfortable without a pistol, but if you choose the right belt and holster it not bad. The weight of the pistol makes a difference also. It is more comfortable carrying a 15oz J frame than a 34oz 1911. It is most uncomfortable when driving. I feel naked without one.

(2) Just read the paper and watch the nightly news.

(3) Yes, when I was at the junkyard and BM stole my tools.

(4) Yes, when I found him and got my tools back I wanted knock the tar out of him. But when you have a CC permit you can't be getting into fights like that, if you do you are risking your permit. So I walk away now, but with what is mine.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia

Hi and welcome from Fort Worth TX!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Welcome from Mass.
    Decided to carry after discerning the signs of the times.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Welcome from PA

When you first carried, did it seem uncomfortable? yes......I suppose it was a little bit
    If so, how long does it take to get used to that feeling? I'm guessing that would be different with each individual. I don't really remember how long it took me
    What made you decide to carry concealed? Because open carry isn't legal here yet
    Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "Thank God I have my gun"? Yep...a few times. One time was before I had a permit or carried on myself....my old 357 Magnum from under the driver's seat may have actually saved a life.
    Honestly....no

1- Yes, but I got used to it fast.
    2- Exposed to inner city, potential disgruntled employees, gang activity, the unknown, etc.
    3- No, but have been in situations when I wished I had a gun.
    4- Never

Welcome!!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

1943 - 2009
    Welcome to the forum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. Ther is nothing that I could add to expand on the information that you have already received. I would emphasize the fact that I have never wished that I had left my weapon at home. If I knew the time and place that I needed my weapon I would still carry 24-7.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Welcome from Southwest Tennessee!

I started carry a gun that was pretty big for the caliber. A Taurus PT99. It was a bit uncomfortable at first but that lasted only a few days. After that it was a part of me and I stopped noticing it.

I realized pretty early in life that the police can't protect you unless there is one right next to you all the time, and that isn't going to happen. You have to be able to protect yourself and the best way to do that was to have a gun with you, right on your body all the time.

Yes, in fact, just 11 days ago in fact, I told everyone about it here: I had to draw on someone today

No.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links