Defensive Carry banner

Hello From NY

1K views 44 replies 44 participants last post by  randy7601 
#1 ·
Hello,
I've been lurking here for a month or so. I live in Orange County, New York. I got my NY pistol license in 1979 when I was 20. Carried my guns mostly for plinking, and general outdoor fun use.

My wife suddenly mentioned last summer that she would like to get a pistol permit, so she went for it. She got it in a little over 3 months, not bad for around here, but not so good in general.

My guns have been mostly for fun, but times are changing and I think it's time to also routinely carry for protection. So that brings me here. I researched a few guns, carry methods and general attitudes/recommendations on carry. Lot's of great info here. I ended up getting very interested in the right to carry and the widely variable and sometimes unfair firearms laws around the country.

So that's the story. I just wanted to check in and say hi.

#34 ·
Howdy from Texas.

#38 ·
Greetings from across the Hudson in Dutchess.

#40 ·
Greetings & welcome aboard.

From SWVA

So, in NY does the permit allow CC or just ownership?

dave

:usa:

#41 ·
Greetings & welcome aboard.

From SWVA

So, in NY does the permit allow CC or just ownership?

dave
My wife and I have carry concealed, with no restrictions. We got lucky and have no restrictions. Its unfortunate that everyone does not easily get that around here.

Each county in NY sets its own policy. Some counties are big on restrictions. They issue carry concealed and they like to put restrictions such as 'to be carried only going to/from/during hunting or target shooting', 'while carrying large sums of money', or 'to and from place of business', etc. This varies county to county and even from town to town within a county because it is up to the whim of the judge that handles permits from your town. You will not be arrested if you violate the restrictions unless you do something stupid, but if a LEO wants to give you a hard time, he can notify your judge and the judge can revoke your permit if he chooses to.

NY does offer a "possess on premises" permit. No one ever applies for that one. It is the same rigmarole to get and you can't legally have your gun anywhere but at that address. No range shooting, nothing, nowhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.