New Handgun Owner/Pontential CCW holder

This is a discussion on New Handgun Owner/Pontential CCW holder within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Hey Everyone, I have purchased my first handgun (well the first gun I ever owned actually) about a month and a half ago, and have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Handgun Owner/Pontential CCW holder

Hey Everyone,

I have purchased my first handgun (well the first gun I ever owned actually) about a month and a half ago, and have submit my paperwork for an MI ccw about a week ago. This is my story:

I've never really felt the need to own a firearm, so I've always been somewhat indifferent on the issue. I think part of this is the fact that I never really had grown up around guns, nor have I ever been in a situation where I felt that my life was threatened. Needless to say my attitude has changed quite a bit.

These are the things that caused it to change:

1.) My brother began pursuing a ccw and really made me think about why one would need a firearm.
    2.) I went to the range with the bro and a friend and rented a handgun. To be honest I was rather nervous and somewhat unsettled by the idea, but once I got on the lane it was a ton of fun. I shot a full size USP in 9mm my first time out. Once I had an understanding of how to operate a firearm, all of the mystery/fear dissappeared.
    3.) This one is probably the greatest reason out of them all, and it is that I moved to the east side of Detroit with some friends of mine. I did this because they're awesome guys and because rent is dirt cheap. However, it's definitely the ghetto and while I haven't been in any serious situations yet, I can't be naive about safety. So I purchased the gun mainly for HD, and then decided I would get my permit so I can have it with me in the car in case anything goes down while I'm on the road or in the area but not at home.

So I went out in January and purchased a Stoeger Cougar 9mm after doing a bit of research online. Price was the major motivator in my decision, as was availability. I was cross shopping the cougar and the sigma and shot a sigma at the range. There wasn't much I liked about the sigma, the trigger sucked and the stippling on the grip caused my hand to start aching after fifty rounds. While i would've been able to purchase it for $100 cheaper than the cougar, I felt that I would not have liked owning the firearm and so I passed on it. The cougar felt much better in my hand, and although I did not have a chance to shoot it before I purchased it, I picked it up anyway. I bought it for $450 at gander mountain. It was disappointing to see that the price had increased so much on the cougars, I would've loved to purchase one at 350 or 380, but it's too late for that. In terms of other guns, it appears that gun shops were sold out of pretty much everything, and I didn't have much patience at the time.

As far as a range report is concerned I've put about 500 rounds through the gun. My first trip out i had 10 FTE out of 100 rounds, but this was due to lack of lubrication. Before I take it to the range now I make sure it is properly lubed and don't have any problems with it. I like the way the gun shoots and how it feels in my hand. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the gun, I shoot OK but I have a lot of room for improvement. I've purchased a Don Hume 715 open top holster for it and will be using it for carry once I receive my permit.

In Summary I came to the realization that I couldn't be naive about safety, and that it really isn't that big of a deal to own a gun (I think the fact that i had never owned one and only heard all of the negatives in terms of the media etc made me somewhat hesitant). As far as the gun is concerned I'm pretty pleased. Concealing it is a little challenging due to the grip, but I've discovered a few ways for me to do so. I am just waiting on my permit now, it should be another 7 weeks or so according to the sheriff's office.

Anyway just wanted to share my story.

Thanks!

Congratulations on you new gun and welcome!
    Be safe...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Congrats and Welcome to the Eastside of Detroit, where the weak are killed and sometimes eaten.
    I've lived here all my life and watching things change in the last 40 some years you really understand the need to be safe.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum! Fantastic choice going with the Cougar. Great gun which will serve you well if you need it's assisstance. Hate cities and live in the sticks, but still pack 24/7. Stay safe and vigilant.

SG
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Congratulations, zbock, and welcome.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Welcome from New York
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Welcome from central Mississippi.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

1943 - 2009
    Welcome to the forum.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Cool story, bro. Train hard, fight easy.

Welcome from Northern Colorado. I have a Stoeger Cougar 9mm that my girlfriend mostly shoots. She has about 1500 flawless rounds through it and she loves it. It's a great gun, especially considering I got it long before all of the price increases. That firearm is one of the best values out there, IMO (or at least it used to be).

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    Welcome from Utah, and congrats on no longer being a

Stay safe
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome from Connecticut and congratulations on a new gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links