Hello from Switzerland ! - Page 3

Hello from Switzerland !

This is a discussion on Hello from Switzerland ! within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome aboard, from Missouri Always nice to have International members join us for the discussion. I would be interested to know about your self defense ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Welcome aboard, from Missouri

Always nice to have International members join us for the discussion.

I would be interested to know about your self defense laws and how they are applied in your home for say a home invasion or robbery.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thanks to everybody for the numerous welcome !!!

I would be interested to know about your self defense laws and how they are applied in your home for say a home invasion or robbery
    Quite simple. As it is now, you are perfectly allowed to own a gun (pistol, rifle, shotgun etc) for self defense at home.

But for the court, the use of a firearm must related to the threat, and proportional to it. For example, you can't shoot someone in the back while he is escaping from you home after an invasion.
    But if you feel your life or you physical integrity, or the one of your familiy is at risk, the use of a firearm is not illegal.

We also have in our Jurisprudence the case of a man shooting a robber, who was escaping with a lot of his money, in the leg, to stop him, and not juged guilty for that.. but this is a case I would rather avoid these days..

One downside is that in Switzerland hollowpoints are forbidden for handguns, so shooting inside your home could be dangerous.

We had very few case in the past, but for a couple of years we see more and more home invasion that ends with violence upon the owner, or even tortures when they try to make the owner say where the money or the safe combination.. Last year, even 2 people died this way, after too much beatings..

So, I (and the people that is not affraid to say they rather shoot than being beaten to death) are not paranoid nor scared, but we are ready.. just in case.

Everything I explained so far, might change. Actually, the anti-gun groups managed to gather 100 000 signatures for a vote on guns sometime in the next 18 months, and our gun laws would change a lot (not the good way..) if this natioal vote should pass.. So we are actively fighting politically to show people how many lies these people are telling in their anti gun campaign.. You wouldnt believe it how many lies actually..
    "Against Talibans we are not fighting under the rules of Geneva IV Article 4. We are fighting under the rule of Article 223,5.56mm .. And if those numbers don't look good, try Article 7.62mm ! "

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Welcome from Pennsylvania, USA.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Shung View Post
    Thanks to everybody for the numerous welcome !!!
    You are very welcome.
    So we are actively fighting politically to show people how many lies these people are telling in their anti gun campaign.. You wouldnt believe it how many lies actually..
    Yes we would...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Just an example so..

They are claiming that approx 400 people die every year in Switzerland under gunfire of military issued rifles... (more than 1 person every day, they say..)

Well, the Federal Office for the Statistic in our country in the last 3 years, counted an average 33 deaths from gunfires, without even making any disctiction from issued or private owned rifles (not to mention the fact that the majority of the cases involves illegal firearms).

There is no national statistic about suicides, but if we take the statistic existing in one Canton (Bale ville/Bale Campagne) and extrapolate it to the whole country, we get 150 suicides every year, by gunfire (private & issued) . But this number is already huge, since the Bāle Canton has a high suicide rate 26/100 000 inhabitants, when others like Tessin or Valais on get 14/100 000. Plus, nothing guarantees that if these people did not shoot themself because the lack of a gun, would not have commited suicide by another mean...

Anyway, we get a pessimstic 180 death per guns, including 150 suicides, every year...

Still, half the number that the anti-guns group are claiming !!!

That doesnt disturb them.. What would they think if I was to exagerate by a factor 2 the number of jobless people, or the negligent deaths in hospitals ??? that would be a HUGE mistake, right ?
    "Against Talibans we are not fighting under the rules of Geneva IV Article 4. We are fighting under the rule of Article 223,5.56mm .. And if those numbers don't look good, try Article 7.62mm ! "

Shung, I know it's hard for you guys to make legislative changes...especially the other way, but one of the things we did here(in Texas) to allow concealed carry to pass was to track the convictions by those license holders vs the general public.

It might give you some stats to fight back with...although we all know how useless reason and facts are when arguing with irrational emotion.

In any case...here is a link to our last 5 years or so...what I like most about it is it gives total convictions in Texas and also total convictions by CHL holders...

Texas DPS - Conviction Rates Reports
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Great statistics. Will be very helpfull !

btw, to make things even clearer, any idea of the % of CHL Holder among the adult TX population ? Because if for 2006 it's 0.2275% that would just mean CHL holders arent better or worse than anybody else..

If you are more than 0.2275% of the adult population having a CCW permit, it would mean you more law abiding than the average people.

If I get these numbers right.

We are around 1-2% of the population...but its going up.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your Welcome thread...Welcome again, and how about a new thread with some pics of your evil black rifle collection.

Who is John Galt?

well.. if it's 2% that would already mean you are 10x more law abiding than the others.. Not bad hey ;) !

no problem for the hijacking.. Welcomes were more than enough for me to be happy ;)

I'll try to find the part of the forum where I can post those EBR pictures !

Welcome to DC from SC. Enjoy!!!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Welcome from Mass.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Welcome from Northern Colorado.

-Jeff-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links