Greets and where should I start?

This is a discussion on Greets and where should I start? within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome from Chesterfield, the Glock runs around $520 with standard sights and $635 with trijcon night sights. If you join the GSSF they will send ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greets and where should I start?

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Chesterfield, the Glock runs around $520 with standard sights and $635 with trijcon night sights. If you join the GSSF they will send you a certificate for $125 off the purchase of a new Glock and you get a extra mag. You can only use the certificate at a participating Glock dealer and it cost $35 to join the first time. gssfonline.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard.

Welcome from PA
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Welcome from NC

Welcome from Connecticut.
    I carry a Glock 19 with a IWB when riding my motorcycle and have no trouble.

Welcome from Kansas.
    God bless our troops!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Middle Tennessee!
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    welcome from the panhandle of Texas

ahhhh, the power of the dark side at the range
    you drank the Glock-cool-aid and didn't even know it

welcome to the fold, its sounds to me like you've already got a good start by getting to the range and trying some different weapons

everyone has opinions and likes/dislikes in different weapons wheelies vs semi-autos, glock vs XD vs 1911 vs Bersa vs HK vs S&W vs etc etc etc etc, just like different guitars and amps

if you already shot the glock 9mm....and you liked it.....and could shoot it well and accurately....sounds to me like you already made up your mind, those are the things you should look for in YOUR self defense weapon, the glock will serve you well
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Hollow Point's Avatar
    Welcome From South Mississippi -

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Welcome from the Ozarks.

Welcome!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Welcome!

Being an instructor myself I recomend that you go back to the range and rent a few different pistols usually starting with steel framed, small cal. Such as a .38. Then maybe a .380. Feel the difference.

There are a few different types of people in the world of pistols, some like revolvers, others like auto loaders. Of the autos, some people like polymer and some like steel.

You have to find out wich one works best for you. If the range you are shooting at has an instructor for hire, hire him for a while until you get comfortable with a type and caliber of gun. You said you would mostly be shooting for sport and a little for home defense. This is what I carry and recomend to my students. The Springfield XDm 40. Its a large framed pistol that a big, but not too big, round. It holds the most .40 ammo in any auto loader, the trigger feels great, I can conceal it, and its not that expensive. Around $600 brand new.

But like I said, you need to find a gun that works best for you and not for me. I am not the one carrying your gun or looking down your sights. Hope this helps and WELCOME to DC!

One other note. I might even receive some hate mail for this one! Glocks in my opinion suck. I believe that they are out dated and better more safe firearms are on the market. Now, BEFORE anyone goes ripping my head off, I used to carry a glock 19 EVERYWHERE! I love the 9mm round and the "new" polymer framed gun was light and simple to use. I loved it, that is until I damn near shot my foot off trying to pull it out of my IWB and put powder burns on my hip! Then... the XD came into my world... I need not say more.

Try a few different guns and see what works for you, even if you "think" you have found the correct one, keep shooting different ones and make sure you have found the correct gun for you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links