Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New California Member

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  PatrioticRick 
#1 ·
Stumbled in here through a Google search...nice forums!

I am a Realtor in Central California (Red State CA) and am getting my first CCW. Am getting a CA CCW and a non-resident Utah CFP.

Am age 49, five kids (only two still at home, thank God), lovely wife (who is also getting the same two permits) and love to travel. (Harley, motorhome, sailboat)

Had a bad incident here last month. A fellow Realtor (male) was attacked by two bad guys with crowbars at an open house on a Sunday afternoon. Was left for dead. They got $23. Really woke me up. I have occasionally carried without permit over the years, but this made me realize I needed to jump through the hoops and do it right.

I used to shoot a lot in my youth, but slowly lost interest as kids started coming and time became scarce. Dug out all my old pistols and looked them over. All still in great shape. They had been oiled and packed properly in my attic. They are all over 26 years old. Have a Colt Lawman .357 in nickel, S&W 64-2 stainless, Colt Commander in satin nickel, Ruger SecuritySix in stainless, Ruger SingleSix stainless, AMT .380 Back-up in stainless...and some other asst cheaper guns. Decided to look around for something more "current" and better suited to CCW.

Bought a Kahr PM9 which will be my primary. Have about 350 rounds through it with no FTF or problems of any kind. So far I am impressed. We have joined the local range and am once again enjoying shooting regularly.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded...I am looking forward to learning a great deal here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thx for the detailed heads-up and welcome :smilez:

It is actually very nice to have some details up front and so get to see what sort of age you are, guns you have etc. Great you have kept all those pieces and glad indeed you are going ahead to get CCW.

#4 ·
Very nice to have you with us. I will be visiting Calif. in about 2 weeks for a visit with friends and family.
Mike

#6 ·
Welcome! Nice collection. I bet you're glad you kept them. A bunch of classics everybody here will drool over! Glad your wife is doing the same also!

#7 ·
Welcome. Thanks for the info. We usually get all the details piecemeal. My wife and I will be in Monterey in April for a couple of days. She has never seen where I spent 1971-74 - Ft. Ord and Monterey area so I will show her some of the sights. We will also spend a few hours in San Francisco. She refuses to go to California and not cross the Golden Gate. The we will get on with the real reason for the trip and visit friends in Vancouver, WA. I am looking forward to the trip and at the same time not looking forward to it. I don't like being unprotected and I will not be able to carry in CA nor WA.

Enjoy the forum and glad you joined us.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum - :smilez:

Sorry to hear about the fellow realtor who was attacked at the open house. I work as a realtor here in Flagstaff, AZ - (my 2nd career - after retiring as a deputy district attorney and defense lawyer in California back in '04)

I'm always very wary at open houses. I have an Arizona CCW and make sure I'm as 'prepared' as can be showing houses, meeting strangers, etc. (you know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, welcome and best wishes on getting your CA and Utah permits.

#12 ·
srfl said:
Welcome to the forum!

There are a number of us Kahr lovers here.

I had never even heard of them until I started looking/researching for a new carry gun. I got the 9094 with the dark stainless slide. I am really amazed at how light and accurate it is. Only ammo I've used so far is the WalMart WWB and the Winchester JHP 147. I am still very dubious about a polymer frame...I have always been partial to stainless or nickel and considered the MK9, but they are pretty rare around here and the extra weight was a minus. I keep expecting the polymer to crack or something...but I guess I will get used to a "plastic" gun.

Thanks to all of you for a very warm welcome. Great group you have here.

#13 ·
DParker

Great Introduction. :usflag:
So nice to hear a little bit about the good folks that are joining the forum.
You're very welcome here,
Please be an active participant. Your comments and opinions will be respected.:yup:
Again: Great introduction.

#14 ·
Welcome to the fold. Have a long look around youll enjoy it here with all the great folks and all. Dont sweat the polymer there pretty tough guns. Yes stell is better but after a day of carrying youll appreciate the lighter weight. Ive got 2 guns in polymer a 22 and 9mm and they been good guns so far. Again welcome. Sixgun:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.