Hello from Down Under - Page 3

Hello from Down Under

This is a discussion on Hello from Down Under within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Greetings from UT, and welcome to the forum! Sorry, I have no advice for you, but if you re-post your question in a different category ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Down Under

Greetings from UT, and welcome to the forum! Sorry, I have no advice for you, but if you re-post your question in a different category you'll get more answers.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

VIP Member
    Welcome from Texas!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome to DC from Utah
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Welcome to the forum. Loved my trip to AU and NZ. Would go back in a minute. Aussies and Kiwis treat you like gold. Had dinner in the Sidney Opera House and Climbed Airs rock. Beatiful area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge in Oz View Post
    The tight gun laws introduced back in 1996 have not had an impact at all on illegal firearms. There are still a ton of illegal fireearms out there. The laws have only impacted licensed law abiding citizens by restricting the types of firearms we can have. It's so much trouble to get a pistol licence that I have not even bothered going down that track. You have to compete regularly to own one and you would expect regular visits from the police to check your storage facilities to ensure compliance. An armed citizenry I believe would be beneficial but we are so phobic of guns as a nation that soemthing like that would never get the heads up.

It's criminal that we can't even defend our own homes, and not risk landing in jail. You know if a thief trips in your house while trespassing and injures himself, he can sue you. How does that work?

Cheers

Jorge
    Jorge: Is there any significant amount of public opinion that might eventually fuel a voter movement to throw out some of these tight gun laws in Oz?

Greetings from Kansas! Welcome to the forum.

Cool Welcome from southern Louisiana!

Mag44Laf
    Semper Fi

Welcome from Connecticut.

VIP Member
    welcome from the panhandle of Texas

I feel for ya man
    I don't know the details on the book you are speaking of, but with your regulations it seems to me the lever action in .357 would be great to have

and some gun owners in this country don't think we need to worry about any "little" gun/ammo restrictive legislation that comes up in Congress, or that we need to worry about anything yet
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Hi Jorge and welcome from Fort Worth TX!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Welcome from the Ozarks. How is that gun control working out in Oz?

Australia is awesome. Spent R&R on a station outback in New South Wales in 1970. Family had two teenage daughters that shot wild hogs from horseback. They dragged two hogs back to the house while I was there. The kids went to school over the single sideband radio. It was a large sheep operation. Helped the dad fix fence. It seemed like a desert to me. The father had to drive sixty miles into town to meet me at the airport. We kept stopping to fix his telephone line. The phone line into the switchboard in town was his and his maintenance. He took me to the Returned Servicemans Club. They would not let me buy in that place. That was my downfall.

Next year, I made a big mistake. Told the guys on my Seabee team to put the drinks for the crew of an Aussie Navy patrol ship on my tab. They had been out a week or two and stopped for a rest. Very small crew. Maybe twenty. It was only for one night. Should have it paid off in a couple of more years. Just kidding, but it was shocking how much booze those guys drank. Put us under the table in short order and then proceeded to do some serious drinking. When I was able to read the tab the next day, I thought 'no way'. Then I looked in the spirits locker and knew it was true. We got resupply once a month, but kept ample booze reserves for emergencies, barter and political reasons. Thank goodness we didn't run dry before the next plane. It helped that nobody on the team touched an alcoholic drink for a few days.

Welcome from PA
    Expecting a carjacker or rapist or drug pusher to care that his possession or use of a gun is unlawful is like expecting a terrorist to care that his car bomb is taking up two parking spaces.-Joseph T. Chew

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Jorge: Is there any significant amount of public opinion that might eventually fuel a voter movement to throw out some of these tight gun laws in Oz?
    No I don't believe so but there are more people becoming resgistered firearm owners. It's about the firearm owners dispelling the myths of who actually owns guns and letting them know we are normal everyday law abiding citizens that enjoy shooting sports, cause I guess Down Under it's the only legitimate reason you can own a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Welcome from the Ozarks. How is that gun control working out in Oz?

Australia is awesome. Spent R&R on a station outback in New South Wales in 1970. Family had two teenage daughters that shot wild hogs from horseback. They dragged two hogs back to the house while I was there. The kids went to school over the single sideband radio. It was a large sheep operation. Helped the dad fix fence. It seemed like a desert to me. The father had to drive sixty miles into town to meet me at the airport. We kept stopping to fix his telephone line. The phone line into the switchboard in town was his and his maintenance. He took me to the Returned Servicemans Club. They would not let me buy in that place. That was my downfall.

Next year, I made a big mistake. Told the guys on my Seabee team to put the drinks for the crew of an Aussie Navy patrol ship on my tab. They had been out a week or two and stopped for a rest. Very small crew. Maybe twenty. It was only for one night. Should have it paid off in a couple of more years. Just kidding, but it was shocking how much booze those guys drank. Put us under the table in short order and then proceeded to do some serious drinking. When I was able to read the tab the next day, I thought 'no way'. Then I looked in the spirits locker and knew it was true. We got resupply once a month, but kept ample booze reserves for emergencies, barter and political reasons. Thank goodness we didn't run dry before the next plane. It helped that nobody on the team touched an alcoholic drink for a few days.
    tiwee that was a fatal mistake, because one thing aussies can do is use up a bar tab in record time. Aussies or Irish you don't offer bar tabs to. Our bosses at work did that on a conference and I reckon we nearly sent them broke.

With the gun control business, we do miss the semi autos and pump action shotties but they reckon there are more registered firearm owners than prior to 1996. The shooting sports have continued to grow in popularity.

Cheers
    Jorge

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links