Florida Gun Laws

This is a discussion on Florida Gun Laws within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I am new to hand guns, having purchased my first 9mm two weeks ago. Because I am new, I have been doing a tremendous amount ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Gun Laws

Florida Gun Laws

I am new to hand guns, having purchased my first 9mm two weeks ago. Because I am new, I have been doing a tremendous amount of reading and research on gun laws.

I am appalled at what I hear about the gun laws in some states. I think I am fortunate to life in Florida, Tampa Bay area. Here are some quotes from the 2009 Florida Statues, Chapter 790, Weapons and Firearms:

790.172(2) It is the intent of the Legislature that adult citizens of the state retain their constitutional right to keep and bear firearms for hunting and sporting activities and for defense of self, family, home, and business and as collectibles. Nothing in this act shall be construed to reduce or limit any existing right to purchase and own firearms, or to provide authority to any state or local agency to infringe upon the privacy of any family, home, or business, except by lawful warrant.

. . . . . .

790.25(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE. --Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.

. . . . . .

790.335 Prohibition of registration of firearms; electronic records.--
    (1) LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS AND INTENT.--
    (a) The Legislature finds and declares that:
    1. The right of individuals to keep and bear arms is guaranteed under both the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and s. 8, Art. I of the State Constitution.
    2. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a law enforcement tool and can become an instrument for profiling, harassing, or abusing law-abiding citizens based on their choice to own a firearm and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution. Further, such a list, record, or registry has the potential to fall into the wrong hands and become a shopping list for thieves.
    3. A list, record, or registry of legally owned firearms or law-abiding firearm owners is not a tool for fighting terrorism, but rather is an instrument that can be used as a means to profile innocent citizens and to harass and abuse American citizens based solely on their choice to own firearms and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution.

There are many other good points to the statute, but these really jumped out at me. I understand from the instructor of last night's concealed carry class that the NRA has a strong lobby in Florida and is largely responsible for drafting this legislation. As a result, I joined the NRA last night and want to thank them for helping us Floridians have such a good law. Maybe they can eventually be as effective in other states. I hope so.

I know this is a long post, but, I thought it was important to share with any who are interested.

A new Sig 2022 owner and soon to be CCW licensee.

2. Remove Ads

First off , Welcome to the forum & Never forgett the best weapon you have is your BRAIN ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Welcome to DC from Tampa Bay as well. Better settle in for a good wait for the Fl permit there is a huge 90-120 day backlog.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Welcome to DC from Tampa Bay as well. Better settle in for a good wait for the Fl permit there is a huge 90-120 day backlog.
    Not entirely, mine was processed in 65 days. No, I did not do electronic fingerprinting either.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by gdm320 View Post
    Not entirely, mine was processed in 65 days. No, I did not do electronic fingerprinting either.

I'm glad some are getting thru faster but it is better to be pleasantly surprised than beating a path the mailbox every day for 2 or 3 months. OMO, YMMV
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia. Florida does have some good gun laws, but so do other states as well. Each have little quirks that could be corrected, but that's not just in gun laws. Both states I've lived in since getting a permit have been gun friendly (VA and OK).

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Gotta' love the GunShine State...it's better than most. OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Marion Hammer, former (and first female) President of the NRA lives in Florida and is the most efficient Gun Rights person in the USA. She should be clonned and her copies sent to every state of the Union.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Texas!
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Welcome from the Ozarks.

Welcome from Orlando

Welcome from Connecticut.
    NRA Patron - Colt Officers .45

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. - Theodore Roosevelt

Welcome to the forum, and Florida is a great state to live in.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links