What’s the point? Needing help in NY state. - Page 4

What’s the point? Needing help in NY state.

This is a discussion on What’s the point? Needing help in NY state. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Originally Posted by hudsonvalley I thought that you needed to buy a gun and have it placed on your license in NYS? You applied and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What’s the point? Needing help in NY state.

almost all better now, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    I thought that you needed to buy a gun and have it placed on your license in NYS? You applied and didn't even buy a gun?
    Once the application has been filled out and the background check completed, a judge reviews the entire submission and the court determines whether and what type of license to grant.

Then, "[t]he registration of at least one handgun is required to activate the permit . . . You will need to respond to this letter within sixty days, otherwise your license application will be considered withdrawn."

I could have "layed away" a pistol at a NYS dealer while waiting for my approval, but i didn't want my gun and my money left in limbo for the eleven months that this whole process took to resolve.

You kind folks here have absolutely tempered my original disappointment. I think my frustration stemmed from the almost dismissive response I received from the Permit Office. While they were helpful, they were not empathetic.

Clearly, I misunderstood the application questionnaire and consequently failed to thoroughly convey to the court my need for an "unrestricted" license. All your thoughtful advice will be applied to correcting my situation.

Thanks.
    Who makes the rules? Someone else!

How bad do you wnat it and what are you willing to pay? Get a good lawyer, one who specializes in these cases. Usually when you push hard enough, the agency will relent (on case by case basis) and issue a permit. It can be done in NYS, but its costly and time consuming, although not 3-5 yrs.

Ask around other people in your area. Some judges will remove restrictions if you have some defensive handgun training and have had your permit for a little while.

I have no idea if your area is one that does that though.

Welcome from west Texas!

I grew up in the Albany area. As soon as I was able I left - enlisted in the Navy - circus left early.

Advice - may ask that Mr. Schmuer fella. Hear tell he's got a permit.

I wish you luck sir. Hang in there.

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Now don't stay a stranger, we fully expect you to become a fine upstanding long term member here and readily join in the witty banter and jovial jousting which goes on here!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Welcome from Connecticut.

Senior Member Array Hollow Point's Avatar
    Welcome From South Mississippi -

Welcome. In this area, once you have had your permit for at least a year, you can have the restrictions removed by taking an additional class. A Saturday morning is a small investment.

Unhappy New York Bashing, that's cold

Why is it that once members of any forum find out you're from NY, everybody starts to dump on you.

I live in the lower part of the state (Rockland County), used to live in NYC, now all you turkeys can laugh

I never waited anywhere near as long as you have, maybe Buffalo still hasn't thawed out from last winter yet.

Seriously, you should put just about every outdoor (within reason) activity on your application. If they're all approved, you just about have a full carry. The FBI guy who I did the mandatory training with, just about stated that as long as you're not going into a bar on a Sat. night, you're pretty much golden. Apparently, its up to the LEO to prove you aren't going to or coming from one of the stated restrictions on your permit.

Good luck,

And for the rest of you guys, we all got it bad enough here in NYS, you don't have to rub it in.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links