What’s the point? Needing help in NY state.

This is a discussion on What’s the point? Needing help in NY state. within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; I had contemplated the need for a self-defense handgun for years. Like so many others, I was finally motivated to apply for my CCW permit ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I had contemplated the need for a self-defense handgun for years. Like so many others, I was finally motivated to apply for my CCW permit by the seemingly inevitable outcome of the ‘08 election. Not for fear of any threatened new restrictive gun laws. But by the increased dangers posed by the potential social ramifications of a radical political ideology.

Finally, close to a year after submitting my application paperwork, I have been “granted a firearms license for hunting and target shooting”.

I live near Buffalo, NY. I don’t hunt. And while I’ll obviously be at the range trying to get proficient with my chosen weapon, I have no interest whatsoever in any type of target shooting competition.

I want a gun for my personal protection.

Nothing less.

As I read these posts it‘s made abundantly clear that our concern for our safety is ongoing, continual, happening without interruption.

So what good, really, is my license to me if my gun is in my nightstand and the threat to my personal being is out in the world?

When I inquired as to how I should go about amending my application so that I may “demonstrate sufficient proper cause to be granted an unrestricted firearms license” I was told by the Pistol Permit Office to “wait three or four years and then re-apply”.

I don’t even own a pistol yet. But what’s the point? Should I feel grateful that “The Man” has granted me permission to buy a weapon but deemed it unnecessary (and unlawful!) for me to actually carry it?

Do I have any recourse but to move out of NY State?

Am I alone?
    Who makes the rules? Someone else!

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Move you ask? "Why Grasshopper, you have become enlightened..."

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Welcome from Michigan!

I'm sorry that you feel this way. There are several options open to you. None of which will help you in the immediate future though. Obviously moving to a more gun-friendly state will expedited your ability to defend yourself, but even then you usually have residency requirements.

You should talk to some others that actually have their unrestricted license and seek advice from them. They may give you better information than the last person you spoke with. There will be others on this site that may be able to help.

The other thing you can do is VOTE. I know it is like hitting your head against a brick wall sometimes, but that is the process we have.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Forget the 3-4 year wait. In a place like NY the quickest way to a CCW is a hefty contribution to Bloombergs next political endeavor. I'll bet his supporters don't wait 3-4 years.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee. Move out of the gulag; life is too short to live in a prison state. IMHO.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Welcome from the Ozarks. Good luck with your permit. Keep plugging away. Go by and meet your local council person or mayor. Ask them for some advice. Even if they can not help, they would like to get to know you.

Welcome from MS
    You know the answer.....Move to somewhere you can defend yourself from thugs that pay no mind to silly laws.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to the forum! And if you move, stay away from NJ & MD!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Hey from Bama.
    Move on down to the sunny south where you can defend you and yours .
    Sweet tea , good people and no snow !
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Hello from Oregon.

Let me see. VERY high taxes, strict gun control, crowded, high crime rate. Tell me why you live in New York again.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

You've already got your obvious answer -- move. But, as easy as that is to say, it's not always that easy to do. Job, family, etc. can have as big an influence on where we live as political climate.

In the mean time, console yourself that you are at least able to now protect yourself part of the time which is better than none of the time. Don't know the statistics and don't want to spend the time looking them up but I'd guess you would be just about as likely to be the victim of violence in your home as you would be on the street. And while I don't know anything about NY law, I'd guess that your lack of any type of prior permit for hunting or target shooting was part of the decision to not issue you an unrestricted permit at this time. They may want you to prove yourself safe and responsible in those areas before they turn you loose on the streets. Not saying that's right, but may be part of their thought process.

Anyway, get your gun and be content with the ability to protect yourself in your own home for the time being. Move if you can but if not, keep working toward that unrestricted permit.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    Well, for now - Go and buy a firearm and at least you'll be better equipped to defend your home.

Welcome to the forum from Ohio. Step 1: Buy a firearm Step 2: Become proficient with it while at the same time researching job opportunities and housing costs in other states (excluding Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey as alternatives). Step 3: Move to another state and enjoy lower taxes and increased freedom. Best of luck to you.

ps: If you enjoy Buffalo weather, parts of northern Ohio would make you feel right at home.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I think you should take your family and money and get out of NY as soon as you are able.

I don't know if you can get a Utah permit while living there? I got my permit in my home state, because I can. A few friends have the Utah permit--I think it lasts 5 years and costs less to renew.

Hi and welcome from Fort Worth TX! I feel your pain. But don't focus on things you can't control, focus on what you do control.

Buy a handgun that's suitable for concealed carry. Take it to the range and shoot targets. Get really good at target shooting, and get really comfortable with handguns.

I bet NY has a handgun/self-defense forum or association too. You're not alone, and although moving is a great idea, it may not be right for your situation.
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links