Hello & Question

This is a discussion on Hello & Question within the New Members Introduce Yourself forums, part of the DefensiveCarry.com Forum Office category; Welcome to DC H/D...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello & Question

Welcome to DC H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

2. Remove Ads

There's a S&W 5906 for sale right now on GunsAmerica for $350 with sale pending, and another for $370. I use GunsAmerica for most of my market research as well as periodical gun shows. Gauging prices from the yearly magazine "buyers guides" like the 2010's out now on the new stands is unrealistic in my opinion and they don't always cover anything but most recent market introductions. It appears the model 5906 was the Illinois State Police duty weapon in 1993, and more than likely for other LE agencies as well. Ayoob wrote articles on the third generation S&W pistols in the May/June 1989 issue of American Handgunner. As for me and my opinions of S&W handguns and the company, that's another story. If I were to think about adding a full size pistol like this considering the weight of it, I'd probably rather have something chambered for 45acp. Just my opinion. I have know a couple of pistol shooters who have the 5906 model and swear by it. All in all, adding another pistol to the line-up at a good price and some accessories is generally a good idea no matter what.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgoodcat View Post
    Hello Fellow Defenders of Freedom,

I hope the year is treating everyone well and I'm looking forward to using this forum as a great resource personally and professionally.

I have a job in Maryland working for a private security company and they have selected me as a new candidate for their armed protection division. I am excited and honored.

I have been an avid marksmen all my life but this will be the first time I have concentrated on hand guns.

The company I work for does not provide duty weapons so I'm having to find a reliable pistol that I can afford on my budget.

Over the past 2 years I have been trying different models and have settled on a Smith & Wesson 5906.

I have a colleague that I go shooting with who has a 5906 he will be willing to sell. It's an older gun (approximately 2500 rounds fired).

He is asking $350-$375 for it. Includes Uncle Mikes holster and, two 15 round clips. No scratches on the gun, but could use a little exterior cleaning.

I've put 50 rounds of Federal 9mm Luger 115 grain FMJ RN through it today and it behaved very well. No jams, easy action.

Is this a reasonable price?

I appreciate any feedback in the matter and look forward to reading your posts.

Thanks in advance,

Mrgoodcat
    Welcome to the forum.

About the S&W Model 5906. This was produced beginning in 2005 as an early M&P model. Most were 5906TSW 4", Tactical models. Light weight polymer frames and good quality stainless steel slides.

They were considered very good service pistols either in 9mm or .40

I no longer stock this model but it is still available from S&W. Normal retail today would be about $650-675 new.

I would price this for more that what your friend is asking, Probably about $ 380.00 to 425.00 for all.

After 2500 rounds, magazine springs might need to be changed as well as the main recoil spring but other than that, 2500 rounds is nothing if the pistol has been well maintained.

The magazines, if 15+1 must be third party. The original model 5906 came with a 10+1 magazine.

I would probably consider this a buy, with or without holster, maybe valued at $50.00.

I sell to the largest armed security corporation in the country. I get many order requests such as yours.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please send me a private message. Under forum rules, anything more I can tell you would be considered advertising and not allowed by forum rules.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Welcome from SE Missouri.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    When I was an LEO, I briely carried a 5906. It was a very reliable gun, even with HP ammunition. I would see if he would settle for $300. I only paid $329.95 for mine brand new.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    WELCOME!

$350 w/ 2 15 rnd mags would be a decent deal IF you have shot it and you are accurate and comfortable with it.

The 2nd Hand Unc Mikes holster...he should beg you to take that for free.

Trust me that you're going to want to do an upgrade on that holster for serious security work.

Greetings from Rocky Top Tennessee
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

VIP Member
    Welcome from Alabama.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Welcome from Las Vegas, Nevada!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    SMITH & WESSON SIGMA .40 S&W HANDGUN

Their 9mm pretty good price too.
    For God, Family and Country!

Welcome aboard from New Jersey.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Distinguished Member Array maxwell's Avatar
    Welcome from Florida

Thank you for the warm welcome,

To all the Glock men (and Women) out there. Believe me I've tried- but the Glock and me have some disagreements. My hand size is large, but my thumb is too short to comfortably hit the slide release and the mag release without having to shift my grip. The Smith and Wesson does that for me. So does the Sig but I'm going to have to wait awhile before I get one of those sweet lil' numbers.

But seriously the price on the Smith and Wesson 5906- is $375 the right price for a Pistol 2000 to 2500 rounds old? The seller is my friend and I want to make sure that the price is fair.

-Mrgoodcat-

Welcome from Tennessee!

I'm not sure about the 5906, but I'd have no problem recommending something like the S&W Sigma as a budget weapon, I believe you can find them online for around $300 new. $25 transfer fee, $25 shipping so you'd be looking at a grand total of around $350 for a good, hi capacity weapon.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links