Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Your Administrator, Bumper

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Fignozzle 
#1 ·
This area is meant to be a place where our visitors can introduce themselves, tell us your interests, share your humor or give us your rants. Since CombatCarry is new to the web, I guess l should start. :)

While I won\'t go into too much of a personal history, I can tell you I am, ummm, in my early fifties, prior military, spent time as a reserve police officer in Denver, Colorado before moving to the Phoenix, Arizona area.

I bought my first handgun on my 21st birthday, a Colt Commander Lightweight. Since that time I have owned more firearms than I can even remember. Some I have really enjoyed, some I just couldn\'t seem to attach to. Lately I have sold a number of my rifles, pistols, shotguns and am concentrating on acquiring a smaller number of those that I have always wanted but just never gotten around to. The type that you are attached to before you even open the box for the first time. This includes my latest additions, a Sig 226 in .40, a Kimber Eclipse and a Kimber Custom TLE II.

While I have reduced the number that I will keep in my collection, I doubt it will slow my buying, selling and trading.

DefensiveCarry/CombatCarry.com is a new venture intended as a place for people from all over the United States, to visit, hangout and talk about all facets of concealed carry, politics or anything else that comes to mind. While I expect that the site will take on conservative political overtones, all are welcome to contribute to the forum topics.

Bumper

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I have a question, Bumper. What is the story behind the \"Bumper\" tag? Most are obvious, just wondering what yours means. I am one of those people that sees a personalized plate and go nuts until I figure out what they are saying and why. :p

#5 ·
Actually, no, it\'s nothing R or X rated, unfortunately. I got it in the military when I was an armor crewman. When you first enter, you usually start out as a loader then progress to a driver, gunner and then finally a tank commander. At least that\'s what I did, experience each of them.

Anyway, somewhere along your career path some of us were be given a name (sorta like a low budget fighter pilot, I guess). I was given my name by my tank commander when I seemed to hit every dip, rise, tree or rock in our path when I was a driver. I have somewhat of a \"lead foot\" whenever I drive anything, so hey why should a tank be different?

When you hit objects hard or fast, a lot of different things can happen, but something that would almost ALWAYS happen was that everyone inside the turret would get jostled around and often, the crew would bump their heads (especially the gunner and loader). One day I hit a ditch so hard that he put a pretty good sized dent in his steel pot (helmet). That night when we were setting up our bivouac site, he took my helmet cover and wrote \"Bumper\" on it with a marking pen. From then on, I was known as \"Bumper\". I also got promoted to gunner to get me out of the driver\'s seat.

Boring I know, but you DID ask.:p

#6 ·
Introductions

I purchased my first handgun at aged 21 at the same moment I got my first carry permit while I was a junior at the University of Alabama in army ROTC in 1979. The permit cost me $5 and was good for three years. No prints or anything. The local sheriff came out and eyeballed me. Asked me a few questions and gave me the permit as soon as he found out I was due to be commissioned the following year. Most all the army ROTC guys had carry permits that were valid ON campus. That first gun was a S&W M19 in .357. I carried it at work as an armed security guard for the next two years. Worked full time and went to school full time. Partied full time too. Still dunno how I managed that.

I was commissioned in August of 1980 after graduating with a BA in Criminal Justice as an Infantry 2nd Lieutenant and served four years on active duty with the now defunct 9th Infantry Division. Platoon leader, company XO, staff officer on the General Staff. Deployments to Germany and Panama. Served as OIC of the 9th ID composite pistol team for a season.

Got out and went into the IRR where I branch transferred after awhile to Armor and went to the Armored Officers Advanced Course at Fort Knox, then the armor M1A transition course for the Reserves at some national guard base in Boise Idaho. THAT was a blast, literally!

Got to fire SIX main gun rounds (live) as well as the coax, Commanders .50 as well as fill all the positions on the tank. Bumper, I was the only guy in my class to get the big M1A AIRBORNE on the TCPC course. When I did so, the gunner had his glasses stapled onto the bridge of his nose since his eyes were pressed against the gunsight. There was blood streaming down each side of his nose. He was NOT a happy camper, but the AI\'s all said they could see air under all treads of the tank, so we became minor celebrities. I was also able to cut a .50 target in half on that range and got big brownie points for that feat. But I was always referred to as the \"squishy officer\" or the \"crunchy\" officer. Know the significance of those? Squishy and crunchy?

I have been a Probation and Parole Officer in Miami FL in the 1980\'s (although my Dept did not authorize sidearms, my bosses said I could carry because I had all the REAL bad guys on my caseload and due to the fact of being ex-army captain) and have taught senior high school for the last 16 years. Eight of those in the inner city. I teach American Government, Economics, Psychology, Sociology and American History. Usually only two of those a year. This year it\'s American Government and American History.

I\'m an NRA certified Firearms Instructor and an IDPA competitor and Range Safety Officer.

Forced out of the IRR in 1994 by the Clinton Reduction in Force. Tried to get my commission back on Sept 12, 2001 but was told, \"TOO OLD, too slow, too overweight, too outta shape...thanks anyway....

I carry constantly now because I think there is a DAMN fine chance that some Jihadi is going to cut loose with full auto (isn\'t that against the law? LOL) somewhere soon and a lawfully armed citizen is going to shut it all down.

So, too much info?

OH and If I\'m not here, I\'m on my gun club web site:
http://www.tssa.net or more likely on my favorite political forum where I have also posted a link to you guys: http://www.freerepublic.com I post there as ExSoldier. I\'m always on the anti-terror thread called The Threat Matrix or on the Second Amendment thread called The Bang List (keyword Bang).

That\'s me. I love this forum you guys have created and hope to spend much time here!

#7 ·
I took Basic and AIT at Knox in 1975, I believe. We had a blast (literally) on the ranges, particularly the night ranges. Alot of the Infantry guys that had been to Vietnam always said that if a war started again they would go back to the Infantry. Too many tanks found upside down after hitting an anti-tank mine. Thank you, I will stay inside :D

I spent more hours in an M1A1 than I can hope to count. Everyone used to name their vehicle. We would chalk them on the sides to garner a reputation. When I was at Ft Hood, ours was named \"The Ruptured Duck\" and ALWAYS took top honors at the range. One of these days I will dig out the pictures of night fire at the Ft Hood ranges. They are awesome!

#8 ·
ExSoldier762--
My wife has her CCW permit and carries. She is soon to get a teaching certification, and we have discussed the options for her self-defense while teaching at a public school. I cite the doomsday scenario like that of Columbine, and she reminds me it\'s a felony to carry on school property.

PM me if you prefer to discuss offline, but I\'m interested in your take on this.

Thanks,
Ben/Fignozzle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.