Oops: Gun store owner shoots self in hand, admits fault

This is a discussion on Oops: Gun store owner shoots self in hand, admits fault within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Day - Gun store owner recovering from gunshot wound | News from southeastern Connecticut Gun store owner recovering from gunshot wound By Karen Florin ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

The Day - Gun store owner recovering from gunshot wound | News from southeastern Connecticut

Gun store owner recovering from gunshot wound
    By Karen Florin

Published 03/12/2010 12:00 AMUpdated 03/12/2010 03:53 PM
    COMMENTS ( 12 )
    Ronald J. Rando, who has operated Ron's Guns in East Lyme for the past 40 years, accidentally shot himself in the hand yesterday after somebody brought a loaded pistol into the store.

Rando underwent surgery at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital and returned home this afternoon. He said over the phone that he is in some pain, but he is thinking about reopening the gun store tomorrow.

"It was my own mistake," Rando said. "I screwed up. It's the first time in 40 years something like this happened."

Rando said a customer brought in two pistols for sale, a Beretta .380 caliber and a Jennings .22 caliber. He said he checked the Beretta first, and went to check on the Jennings pistol when he shot himself in the left hand.

"I must have had my finger on the trigger," he said.

The bullet went in the back and came out the front, he said. He ran to his house, which is next door to the gun shop on Boston Post Road, and put a towel on the bleeding wound while waiting for the ambulance.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I put this in another thread, but it also seems relevant here.

Here is what I said:

Stupid.

I don't like the term 'accidental discharge' . . . I define it as a 'negligent discharge'.

The only time I would refer to a non-intentional discharge as an accidental discharge is if it happened under emergency circumstances, for example: the GF and I are both pinned down behind separate cover in a gunfight, and I toss her my loaded backup gun like a softball because it's an emergency.

I will also refer to it as an accidental discharge if I, for example, accidentally set a gun off when I had to move fast in a car accident (I was a paramedic) and, in the process, accidentally discharged a gun that I didn't know was there when the unconscious patient was armed and the car was upside down in water.

What are your thoughts on my distinction between an accidental vs. negligent discharge?

It may seem like hair-splitting, but I tend to be a stickler for correct terminology when it comes to certain things. I believe that, at least with some people, vague and imprecise terminology is a convenient way to lie and misrepresent the truth.

In my field, for example, we never say to a relative that ". . . your husband passed away." We have specific training (the American Heart Association's Advanced Cardiac Life Support textbook makes this point in a few places) that requires us to say that " . . . your husband is dead" or " . . . your husband died."

Having said this, how do you feel about the labeling of a 'negligent discharge' vs. 'accidental discharge' thing? Do you agree with my point, or am I wrong?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Best,

---Kevin

Sounds like he got lazy,I know when my finger is on the trigger and when handling a firearm I make damn sure I don't let my booger hook touch the bang switch unless I want it to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well he gets points for admitting he hit the trigger vs the usual 'it just went off'.
    Honestly I would rather have a new term for this, instead of wasting time to discern. Most are goof-ups any way you cut it.

At least he IS honest.
    His name was recently changed from Mr. Rambo to Mr. Rando (pronunced: Ran "D'oh")
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    At least he shot himself with the .22 instead of the .380. That's about the only thing he did right. Good for him it wasn't too serious.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

..accidental?!....""I must have had my finger on the trigger," he said. - Let us be glad it was the hand..
    IDPA, USPSA, NRA & USCCA!

I would normally simply take it as a straightforward negligent discharge but it was a Jennings...

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Rando said a customer brought in two pistols for sale, a Beretta .380 caliber and a Jennings .22 caliber. He said he checked the Beretta first, and went to check on the Jennings pistol when he shot himself in the left hand.

"I must have had my finger on the trigger," he said.
    He might not have. It <b>was</b> a Jennings after all. What he did have was bad barrel control.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

I don't see the big deal. We don't say "I was in a car negligence." Or "Oops, it was a negligent move on my part..." An accident is just that...something that happened that was not intended. Doesn't excuse it, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I don't see the big deal. We don't say "I was in a car negligence." Or "Oops, it was a negligent move on my part..." An accident is just that...something that happened that was not intended. Doesn't excuse it, of course.
    Putting his finger on the trigger was negligence....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links