Retired officer shoots burglar

This is a discussion on Retired officer shoots burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Retired officer shoots burglar |West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Forecast, Video from WPTV Police: Retired officer shoots burglar Reported by: TCPalm ...

Thread: Retired officer shoots burglar

Police: Retired officer shoots burglar |West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Forecast, Video from WPTV

Police: Retired officer shoots burglar
    Reported by: TCPalm
    Last Update: 4:23 pm
    Senewa Kahle
    Slideshow
    Senewa Kahle

By Keona Gardner

STUART — A retired law enforcement officer shot an armed burglar who was inside his Stuart home early Saturday morning, a Martin County Sheriff’s Office news release states.

Charles Cassidy, whose address is exempted from public records by law, shot Senewa Kahle 24, in the hip area early Saturday morning after the man had broken into his home. Kahle, of the 7900 block of Southeast Fairchild Way in Hobe Sound, was taken to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute with what appears to be non-life threatening injuries.

The law enforcement agency from which Charles Cassidy retired wasn’t available on Saturday.

The release gives the following account:

At 4:48 a.m. Saturday Cassidy’s wife, Maureen Cassidy, called 911 saying her husband had shot an intruder.

Maureen Cassidy was asleep in her bedroom when she woke up because she heard something. When she left her bedroom, she saw Kahle inside her home. She then woke her husband, who then got his Smith & Wesson 9mm. Charles Cassidy then stood in his bedrooom’s doorway and told Kahle, “Stop, I have a gun.”

Kahle continued to walk toward the Cassidy and was shot.

Deputies later found Kahle armed with a knife and attempting to hide in the bushes of a neighboring home. After Kahle is released from the hospital, deputies plan to charge him with occupied burglary while armed.

Later, deputies found his accomplice, Kelly Black, 24, of the 6200 block of Southeast Thomas Drive in Stuart, sitting in a green 2000 Dodge Neon.

Black is being held without bail on the charges of accessory to occupied burglary while armed and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The Cassidys, who weren’t injured, will not be facing charges.

good ending to a bad situation. However i wonder if the smooth situation after the fact is credited to the fact that this guy was a former LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    good ending to a bad situation. However, I wonder if the smooth situation after the fact is credited to the fact that this guy was a former LEO.
    It certainly didn't hurt him...

Two more dirtbags off the streets.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
    good ending to a bad situation. However i wonder if the smooth situation after the fact is credited to the fact that this guy was a former LEO.
    I think it's a clean shoot by any standards.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member
    At 4:48 a.m.
    asleep in her bedroom when she woke up because she heard something.
    Kahle continued to walk toward the Cassidy and was shot.
    Add to that Florida's Castle Doctrine, I think no charges would have been filed against the shooter, regardless of what his former employment would have been. Good job Mr. Cassidy, but shoot a little higher next time.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Add to that Florida's Castle Doctrine, I think no charges would have been filed against the shooter, regardless of what his former employment would have been. Good job Mr. Cassidy, but shoot a little higher next time.
    My personal schema is three shots are automatically heading down range.

If you are gonna fire once, by golly fire twice. And if you are gonna fire a second shot, then adding one more is an easy case to make.

I don't subscribe to the empty your gun mindset. I don't fault others for such a world view, however, I see no tactical advantage to shooting myself dry on one person (unless it's Marv from Sin City).

Of course the reality is that at home the 12 gauge 00 buck is most probably the first round that's gonna fly loose in the household.

I wonder why he was shot in the hip??

I wish his wife would have woke him up first prior to hearing a noise and going out to meet the BG. She's lucky she got back to wake him up.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    I think it's a clean shoot by any standards.
    i totally agree with you. We were just taught in our class that here in MN you can count on spending sometime in jail after a shooting even if it is a justified one. They told us even if the shooting takes place in the middle of the night in our own home to be prepared to get arrested and be prepared for civil litigation etc which is BS if you ask me.

Sponsored Links