More Bad News from across the Pond (UK)

This is a discussion on More Bad News from across the Pond (UK) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Read This....Trust me you REALLY won't believe this one.......... 'Shotgun landlord' Simon Thomas held two burglars in Anchor Inn pub in Barcombe | Metro.co.uk The ...

Read This....Trust me you REALLY won't believe this one..........

'Shotgun landlord' Simon Thomas held two burglars in Anchor Inn pub in Barcombe | Metro.co.uk

The publican held the intruders at gunpoint after catching them red-handed – but they fled in the 50 minutes it took police to arrive.

The father-of-two said: ‘If push came to shove, I would have fired the gun. In some ways I wish I had done, to stop them. Both my children were asleep in the house and protecting them was my priority.’

Mr Thomas, 45, was asleep at the Anchor Inn pub in Barcombe, East Sussex, when he was disturbed by the burglars stealing bicycles and loading them into their getaway car.

His children, 14-year-old Toby and 12-year-old Holly, were also asleep upstairs at the time of the raid.

He opened his bedroom window and yelled: ‘Don’t move –I’ve got a loaded gun on you.’

The terrified burglars claimed they thought the property was empty and began unloading the bikes. But they drove away when Mr Thomas went to dial 999. He briefly tried to pursue them in his Land Rover but gave up the chase.

Mr Thomas, who described himself as a ‘firearms man’, said police told him they had no one available ‘right away’ but to ‘put the gun away’.

He added: ‘I don’t want people to think I’m some kind of gun nut.

‘But I was prepared to do pretty much whatever it would take to protect my children.’

Sussex Police confirmed they were called shortly after 2am on Saturday last week but only made it to the pub 50 minutes later. A spokeswoman said: ‘The call was graded for immediate response, although it should be noted that the suspects had driven off before police were called.

‘Officers arrived as soon as possible but were responding to other calls at the time.’

I sadly live in the county of sussex and can confirm that the Police here are not the "brightest stars in the sky"

Tint Bob (UK)

Some LEO chat about this

US LEO's....I think you will find this forum interesting, I cannot believe some of the comments on this board.......

Shotgun landlord chases off burglars after police delay - PoliceSpecials.com Forum

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    50 minutes is quite a long time, but we have had instances over here that have equalled that or been longer, not saying that's a good thing, not by a long shot, it's disgraceful either way, but that's why we all feel that we need to take care of ourselves. The police have no obligation according to our Supreme Court to protect us as individuals though I still find that one hard to swallow considering that we hire our police through our municipal tax dollars which means they work for the city and the city is made up of the citizens and if they have no right to individually protect those citizens, I advocate hiring a private security firm to do the job then. That's just my philosphy on it though.

The 1st lines gave me the impression at first that the owner held the gun on the thiefs for 50 minutes and then they fled, it was clear up later of course. I guess since he called them and they were gone, they figured what was the rush now.

Yes, some of this was a rant and rave, sorry.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

If that Brit shot two guys stealing bicycles, he would have been put on death row...I'm just guessing, of course.
    Them British politicians don't like people messin' with their dirtbags.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

50 Minutes is way too long....anywhere....while holding a brace of thugs at gunpoint. Certinally in the county of Sussex I'd expect a better response time when a firearm is involved.

The owner/father took care of business. Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    He opened his bedroom window and yelled: ‘Don’t move –I’ve got a loaded gun on you.’
    Have they set a date for his trial yet? I'm guessing the upstanding citizen will be charged and probably serve many years in prison for threatening those, poor misguided thugs, who were only trying to supplement their income. They're probably so traumatized by the incident, that they will have to find a new line of work! All because the pub owner is under the misguided opinion that what he worked for and purchased with his earnings belong to him and not the thugs who fancied it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Have they set a date for his trial yet? I'm guessing the upstanding citizen will be charged and probably serve many years in prison for threatening those, poor misguided thugs, who were only trying to supplement their income.
    It just may happen, remember the fellow over there last week or so ago that smacked a home invader that was armed with a knife with a cricket bat? The bad guy got probation for threating the home owner and his wife while the good guy got 30 months in the lock-up for smacking (assault with bodily injury) the bad guy. (Reported in News of The Weird).

Kyle
    Last edited by Kyle18; March 14th, 2010 at 02:52 PM.
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

UK police FAIL again by arresting shop owner detaining thieves. So sad, yet they keep parodying themselves for comedic value.

Curry house owner foils burglary... and then HE'S thrown in cell when yobs complain | Mail Online

When a restaurant owner found two teenage yobs raiding his beer cellar, he chased them and held them while his staff dialled 999.

Sal Miah assumed police would commend him for catching the young criminals.

But when officers arrived, they arrested 35-year-old Mr Miah on suspicion of assault and battery.

Held: Sal Miah spent five hours in a police cell after he chased down two youths who had broken into his cellar

The married father-of-five spent five hours in a police cell and had his DNA, fingerprints and police mugshot taken.

Mr Miah, who has run the Raj Poot restaurant in Crowborough, East Sussex, for 14 years, was finally released at 4am after receiving a caution for assault and battery, which will stay on his record for five years.

He said: 'The system is a joke. How can a man who tries to prevent a crime in progress end up being the criminal?

'People are living in fear of these kind of yobs but when you do take a stand and try and defend your home or your business you end up in trouble.

'It's the wrong way round. These boys told the police I had punched them and they believed them.

'This country is getting worse. You see these gangs tormenting people and they are just getting away with it. But who was looking out for my interests?

'This has been an unbelievable stress and strain on my family. The uncle of one of the boys even came to the restaurant making threats that he was going to smash it up and burn it down.

'But when I reported that the police said they couldn't find him.'

Mr Miah's ordeal began a fortnight ago when he heard the teenagers trying to smash their way into the beer cellar.

They fled, but Mr Miah pursued them and managed to grab them and bring them back to the restaurant, where he sat them down by the bar.

He told his diners not to worry and instructed staff to call the police.

But as he did so a large group of the teenagers' friends assembled outside and started to kick the door in.

Fearing for the safety of his customers, Mr Miah locked the door to prevent the 'intimidating' youths getting in, he said.

He also went outside to stop them from breaking his windows and pushed several of them away.

But when the police arrived the youths accused Mr Miah of punching them and he was arrested.

As officers put him in the back of a patrol car, he said the laughing yobs hurled abuse and mocked him with shouts of 'You're nicked'. Mr Miah, who has no previous convictions, said: 'I could not believe it.

' I had stopped a crime from happening and even delivered the suspects to police on a plate.'

Sussex police said Mr Miah should have 'observed from a safe distance' before dialling 999.

The spokesman said: 'On no account should any attempt at aggression be made as this could easily escalate into violence.'

A boy of 13 was later arrested and charged with burglary with intent.

Read more: Curry house owner foils burglary... and then HE'S thrown in cell when yobs complain | Mail Online

Quote Originally Posted by Tint Bob View Post
    US LEO's....I think you will find this forum interesting, I cannot believe some of the comments on this board.......

Shotgun landlord chases off burglars after police delay - PoliceSpecials.com Forum
    it would seem that of the pool provided, cops in the UK have the collective IQ of a bag of hammers.

In 50 minutes I coulda shot,made a pot of coffee and some cupcakes for the cops when they got there,had a cup of coffee while turning on exterior lights and chatting with the neighbours on which gun and ammo I used to stop the theft.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

God bless the U.S.A. ... well most of it.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In 50 minutes I coulda shot,made a pot of coffee and some cupcakes for the cops when they got there,had a cup of coffee while turning on exterior lights and chatting with the neighbours on which gun and ammo I used to stop the theft.
    In the UK, when seconds count, the police are hours away.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Them British politicians don't like people messin' with their dirtbags.
    It's a shame, I really like Great Britain and they are probably our second closest allies behind Israel but they really aren't so great anymore. The people really seem to be no more than subjects of the crown and the aristrocrat 'leaders' that make laws criminalizing any form of self defense. It seems they've too many laws that protect the criminals rather than the law abiding subjects.

I guess I can understand it more easily now how small bands of tattered volunteers were able to defeat them a couple hundred years ago.

I heard they had 'tea parties' planned accross the country recently, in a way following in our footsteps. I pray they're able to revive their country and their rights before they lose it/them.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Aristocrats never want an armed populace. They may want Icelands GDP, but definitely not an armed populace.

Sorry, is that too political?
    Crime should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    HA Ha Ha .....Only in America!!!!

Thanks for that, you just cheered up a dull Tuesday evening here in Sussex, think you forgot the bit about reloading the ammo used

Links