Pentagon Shooting: Gun came from Memphis P.D. - Page 2

Pentagon Shooting: Gun came from Memphis P.D.

This is a discussion on Pentagon Shooting: Gun came from Memphis P.D. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by jbone AP Exclusive: Pentagon gun was from Tenn. police - Yahoo! News In both cases, the weapons first went to licensed gun ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentagon Shooting: Gun came from Memphis P.D.

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    AP Exclusive: Pentagon gun was from Tenn. police - Yahoo! News

In both cases, the weapons first went to licensed gun dealers, but later came into the hands of men who were legally barred from possessing them: one a convicted felon; the other mentally ill.
    If they're looking for someone to blame (other than the shooters themselves), how did the guns get from licensed dealers into the hands of two people who should have been barred from possessing them?

Well, they are saying now ..... that these guns were sold to people "who could not legally own them". So, they are blaming the dealers for not checking them out well enough. HUH ? IF they cleared the NICS check what is an FFL to think ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Well, they are saying now ..... that these guns were sold to people "who could not legally own them". So, they are blaming the dealers for not checking them out well enough. HUH ? IF they cleared the NICS check what is an FFL to think ?
    IMHO, it maybe part of his dishonor-ship's funded/orchestrated campaign to require NICS check on all private sales by individuals and/or some sort of national registry.

Too many anti-RKBA press stories w/ too extensive coverage in the anti-gun press.

Maybe a few targeted States. Maybe national.

The Brady bunch is all bent out of shape that anti-gun advocates in Virginia were only able to watching the session from the sidelines. For the first time in years, anti-gun- were not able get the so called gun-show-loophole-bill (i.e., NICS check on private sales) voted in the Senate anti-gun politicians Courts of Justice Committee w/ big play in the anti-RKBA press.

They failed to get any bill to a floor vote.

They a reeling. And I expect looking for any "new" gimmick to hook their banner onto. They were sure that the Va Tech massacre was their ticket to ride -- albeit the guns used were not in any way bought w/o a NICS check.

They may have figure that they were/are
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs down Returning weapons, once in the hands of law breakers

The beat goes on.

"The prospect of returning weapons, once in the hands of law breakers, is also making Metro Police a little nervous."

How the Hotel Echo dbl Hokey Sticks does sell them to dealers equal "returning weapons, once in the hands of law breakers"?

What the is a "crime gun"? That gun has a bad karma? Substitute "Cars" for "Guns" and it becomes obvious how absurd it is. Imagine a law requiring police departments destroying all "crime cars" (cars seized in crimes) instead of auctioning them off. How about everything else seized/forfeited?

Police Must Stop Destroying Bad Guys' Guns - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee -

Police Must Stop Destroying Bad Guys' Guns
    Posted: Mar 15, 2010 11:36 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A newly signed gun law makes it illegal for agencies like the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and Metro Police to destroy weapons collected in the evidence room. The new measure goes into effect April 12.

"We do one of two things with them: we either put them in our ballistics gun vault, which are to be used for future testing against other weapons that come into the TBI crime lab, or we destroy the guns," said TBI spokesperson Kristin Helm.

The law will forbid the destruction of weapons, and strongly encourage agencies to auction or sell the guns.

"When we seize any type of evidence, whether it's a gun or drugs, putting it back on the street is not something that we want to do," said Helm. "It is something that could cause another crime to occur."

The Tennessee Firearms Association is commending the new legislation, and celebrating the fact that HB2376 and companion SB2334, demand that any money from the sale of confiscated weapons must be returned to the investigating police agency.

"If these things that have been seized have economic value, then let's sell them to people who can legally own them and take those proceeds and use them for law enforcement purposes," said John Harris, a Nashville attorney who also serves as executive director for the Firearms Association.

The prospect of returning weapons, once in the hands of law breakers, is also making Metro Police a little nervous.

"Those weapons have [in the past] been ultimately destroyed," said Don Aaron, police department spokesperson. "This police department just hasn't felt good about putting crime guns back on the streets, back available to the public."

The debate stirs as knowledge of two Memphis weapons being used in two recent high profile incidents: a shooting at the Pentagon and a shooting inside a Las Vegas courtroom.

Tennessee Senator Doug Jackson, (D) Dickson, who co-authored the bill, scoffs at the suggestion that his newly passed law will help permit such violence in the future.

"The firearms that originated from the Memphis police department could have come from anywhere in the country," said Jackson in an e-mailed statement. "Memphis police and Tennessee law are not to blame for either incident. In both of these cases, gun laws in other states were not enforced as they should have been, and guns ended up in the hands of people who had no business owning one."

"Almost all guns sold in this country legally end up in the hands of law-abiding citizens," said Jackson. "Violent crime has plummeted to a 35-year low, even as gun ownership increases. The confiscation and destruction of guns are not the issues in this debate. As always, law-abiding citizens will handle guns appropriately and within the confines of the law. Those who choose to misuse guns will do so no matter where or how they obtain them."

A spokesman from Governor Phil Bredesen's office said the governor signed the bill into law in early March, largely because of the lack of debate on Capitol Hill and because of the bipartisan support from both the House and Senate.
    "...governor signed the bill into law in early March, largely because of the lack of debate on Capitol Hill and because of the bipartisan support from both the House and Senate..." see Matthew 27:24.

Even the pro-gun guy is quoted as saying, "In both of these cases, gun laws in other states were not enforced as they should have been, and guns ended up in the hands of people who had no business owning one" is if sales, gifts, & inheritance should require a NICS check.

Last edited by DaveH; March 16th, 2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added "crime cars" part
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    IMHO, it maybe part of his dishonor-ship's funded/orchestrated campaign to require NICS check on all private sales by individuals and/or some sort of national registry.
    I should have said "all private transfers" not just "sales."

That's what the antis in VA want. No sales w/o NICS check and a record of the transfer. No gifts w/o NICS check and a record of the transfer. No inheritance w/o NICS check and a record of the transfer. And BTW a registry of those "records" to "track guns used in crimes" e.g. keep track of all guns.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links