Maybe it IS a good idea to carry at Starbucks :)

This is a discussion on Maybe it IS a good idea to carry at Starbucks :) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Thought this bit of local news was interesting with the all recent press about Starbucks and some of the critics wondering why someone would even ...

Thread: Maybe it IS a good idea to carry at Starbucks :)

Maybe it IS a good idea to carry at Starbucks :)

Thought this bit of local news was interesting with the all recent press about Starbucks and some of the critics wondering why someone would even need a firearm while they are "just getting coffee".

Person robbed wasn't carrying but just goes to show it happens anywhere...

Suspects arrested in robbery outside St. Pete Starbucks

A pair of elusive robbery suspects were captured late Friday with the help of a civilian, St. Petersburg police said.

Christopher Alexander, 22, robbed a Starbucks patron on Thursday as she was walking outside the coffee shop, so an employee chased him in a vehicle and pinned him against a wall with it, police said.

But Alexander, 1000 Sixth St. N., wriggled free and fled, robbery detectives say.

The Starbucks patron was injured in the robbery when Alexander pushed her from behind, causing her to fall, detectives said. She hurt her left hand and left leg.

Alexander's brother identified as Brian Fuller, 21, of 4034 Fourth Ave. S. was implicated in the robbery since he was seen running with Alexander after the victim's wallet was snatched, detectives said.

After receiving a tip, police located the two at 2427 32nd Ave. N. and arrested Alexander, but Fuller fled onto a roof at 3332 25th St. N.

A citizen in the area, aware that police were looking for someone, armed himself with a gun and ordered Fuller off the roof, police say. Fuller got off the roof and started approaching the citizen, so the civilian fired his gun to alert police, detectives say. Fuller was then taken into custody.

Alexander was charged with one count of strong arm robbery and is being held on $5,000 bail. Fuller was charged with one count of strong arm robbery and with fleeing and eluding and is being held on $10,000 bail.

The two brothers are also suspected in but have not been charged in three other robberies, police said.

2. Remove Ads

A missed chance at early retirement for the BG's.
    Darn.

Happy to see people are more willing to get involved.

DM2
    Interesting story that seems to have a good ending. Please keep us posted as to whether the civilian is charged with negligently discharging his weapon.

Also, what if the BG was coming toward the civilian and the civilian had shot the BG? This would be a very ugly situation for the civilian who had good intentions. As a student of this forum, I think I would have used my cell phone and been a good witness as opposed to elevating myself to "police assistant".

Just my 2 cents, but I think the civilian is very very lucky.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

evo
    Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post
    Interesting story that seems to have a good ending. Please keep us posted as to whether the civilian is charged with negligently discharging his weapon.

Also, what if the BG was coming toward the civilian and the civilian had shot the BG? This would be a very ugly situation for the civilian who had good intentions. As a student of this forum, I think I would have used my cell phone and been a good witness as opposed to elevating myself to "police assistant".

I second.
    I wouldn't be surprised would he be taken to court by the BG.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

I did pull a gun on a would be robber at a Tully's in Seattle almost a year ago. He ran away. I didn't stay after that because I didn't want to get into trouble or get publicity. My place of work is very anti-gun so I just slipped away into oblivion. Now I wish I had stayed and met the press.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Darn it, this is one that the Brady Bunch probably won't even notice.
    Congrats to the 'armed citizen', but please, no more warning shots.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Even without specific examples of crime at a given venue, it's worth carrying.

A citizen in the area, aware that police were looking for someone, armed himself with a gun and ordered Fuller off the roof, police say. Fuller got off the roof and started approaching the citizen, so the civilian fired his gun to alert police, detectives say. Fuller was then taken into custody.
    If someone were on my roof, I'd probably ask what's going on as well. But when I'm aware that a search for an armed robber is occurring in the immediate vicinity and that police are actively searching? I'm not sure I'd exit the house with a firearm in hand. (Don't know if this was "in hand" or not. Am just saying.)

Interesting that he'd fail to fire at a suspected armed robber who then advanced on him. Likely, he had his firearm holstered at that moment and the criminal was clueless.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Glad the victim was OK. Freekin criminals...
    I guess the brothers don't watch the news? Its too bad they didn't pull that stunt during an OpenCarry.org rally
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by DM2 View Post

In Michigan YOU probably would be toast....In Florida HE probably would be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    In Michigan YOU probably would be toast....In Florida HE probably would be a hero.
    Especially in St. Pete!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Five Words from Jimbo and Ned

"He's coming right for us!"
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Glad everything turned out ok. Sounds like the assistant is in more trouble than the perp.

Links