Bad news at the border

This is a discussion on Bad news at the border within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What a mess. I live in the Phoenix area, and that's too damn close to the border for me. Funny, even the North and South ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad news at the border

Bad news at the border

What a mess. I live in the Phoenix area, and that's too damn close to the border for me. Funny, even the North and South Koreans have a "demilitarized zone" - apparently we gringos and the Mexicanos can't achieve that level of civility.

Mexico gunmen kill American consulate staff | Reuters

(Reuters) - Gunmen in the drug war-plagued Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez killed two Americans and a Mexican linked to the local U.S. consulate and President Barack Obama expressed outrage at the attack.

An American woman working at the consulate in Ciudad Juarez, just over the border from El Paso, Texas, and her U.S. husband were shot dead by suspected drug gang hitmen in broad daylight on Saturday as they left a consulate social event, U.S. and Mexican officials told Reuters.

A Mexican man married to another consulate employee was killed around the same time in another part of the city after he and his wife left the same event, a U.S. official said.

The official, who asked not to be identified, said it was not clear if the victims had been specifically targeted, and the motive for the attacks was unknown.

Bloodshed has exploded in recent months in Ciudad Juarez as the head of the Juarez cartel, Vicente Carrillo Fuentes, fights off a bloody offensive by Mexico's No. 1 fugitive drug lord, Joaquin "Shorty" Guzman, at the worst hotspot of Mexico's three-year-old drug war.

"The president is deeply saddened and outraged by the news," said White House National Security Council spokesman Mike Hammer. He said Obama "shares in the outrage of the Mexican people at the murders of thousands in Ciudad Juarez and elsewhere in Mexico."

The State Department updated its warning on travel to Mexico to say it had authorized the departure of dependents of U.S. government personnel from consulates in Ciudad Juarez and five other northern border cities.

"The safety and security of our personnel and their families in Mexico and at posts around the world is always our highest priority," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in statement. "These appalling assaults on members of our own State Department family are, sadly, part of a growing tragedy besetting many communities in Mexico."

Nearly 19,000 people have been killed since President Felipe Calderon came to power in Mexico in late 2006 and launched a military assault on the country's powerful drug cartels, sparking a surge in violence that has alarmed Washington, foreign investors and tourists.

Most victims are rival traffickers and police, and to a lesser extent soldiers, local officials and bystanders. It is rare for drug gang hitmen to target foreigners.

Saturday's murders may be have been carried out by gangs related to the Juarez cartel, which has controlled cocaine trafficking in the region, the Chihuahua state government said in a statement.

"The Mexican authorities are determined to clarify what happened and bring those responsible to justice," the Mexican Foreign Ministry said of the killings.

CHILDREN SURVIVE SHOOTING

The attack on the U.S. couple began with a car chase and ended in front of the main border crossing into El Paso, an area heavily patrolled by soldiers, local newspaper El Diario reported. The couple's baby girl survived the attack.

The Mexican spouse was murdered in an upscale neighborhood of the city when gunmen boxed in his car with other vehicles and shot him, according to a local newspaper photographer who soon arrived at the scene.

The dead man's wife, who was following in a second car, was unhurt, but their two children were wounded.

Calderon was already scheduled to visit Ciudad Juarez on Tuesday, his third trip there in a month, as he scrambles to find a way to deal with a surge in killings that 8,000 troops and federal police on the ground have failed to curb.

The drug war has killed more than 4,600 people in the manufacturing city in two years, and constant scenes of bullet-ridden vehicles and bodies lying in pools of blood have prompted many middle-class residents to flee.

Across Mexico, drug violence is at its worst level ever, and many U.S. students have heeded warnings not to cross the border this year for their annual "spring break" vacation.

A burst of drug gang clashes killed at least 27 people, including four who were beheaded, this weekend around the Pacific resort of Acapulco.

At least 13 were killed on Saturday and at least 14 on Sunday, police said. They included nine men killed in a shootout and a young woman shot as she drove by in a taxi.

Obama voiced his support for Calderon's drug war during a visit to Mexico last year, but the rising violence along the border with Mexico has become a big concern for Washington.

(Additional reporting by Caren Bohan; writing by Noel Randewich; editing by Catherine Bremer and Chris Wilson)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It sounds like the drug cartels are now targeting US diplomatic personnel. It isn't coincidence that they worked in the Consulate.

It won't be long before the hits are against US officials on this side of the border. Then, what will we do?

Bulldoze Juarez?

Senior Moderator
    It won't be long before the hits are against US officials on this side of the border. Then, what will we do?
    Nothing.

Oh wait...

Obama will express "outrage" and Hillary will blame it on the terrible plight of the unfortunate citizens in Mexico.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks Obama, I feel safer already. I'm sure the families of the victims are comforted by your actions, er words.

You know, if only we guntotin Americans weren't supplying all these gangs with our automatic ARs, this woulda never happened.

(That was sarcasm for those that couldn't tell)
    Crime should be outlawed.

I know Mexicans who blame us and our drug habit.
    Um, yeah drugs are bad but YOU guys are supplying the d$#% stuff!
    Then they say, well its our (USA) guns that are doing all the killing so that's our fault too.
    Um, give me a F$#% break - do you really think if the US had no guns that Juarez would not be a death zone? Some Mexican had to pull the trigger each and every time and they are going to get guns regardless.

I think we should have a "Bail Out" for the drug cartels, and if we make it large enough they can all retire. Several Trillion should do it!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Is it illegal for the Militia to invade?

Hey I'm just askin'.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

There have been gun battles in Reynosa and In Progresso,All the smart Americans and Mexican Americans won't step foot into Mexico,The Mexican Authoritys are downplaying the violence,and it's a lot worse than they are letting on.I'm usually within 10 miles of the Border daily and I carry everywhere I go
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Hopefully they will find the combination of armed citizenry and non-corrupt law enforcement makes it a bit harder to conduct a mass-murder spree on this side of the border
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Gunmen in the drug war-plagued Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez killed two Americans and a Mexican linked to the local U.S. consulate and President Barack Obama expressed outrage at the attack.
    And that's about as far as it'll go. Wouldn't want to pi$$ of our neighbors to the south, now, would we? What will the rest of the world think if we pick on a poor third world nation. After all, it's not their fault. Their mommies didn't love them, their daddies abused them and there's no welfare in the country of Mexico. Hmmmm, increase aid to Mexico.

Actually, I like the idea of sending a bunch of confiscated weapons across the border. Seal the boarder, give 'em guns and let God sort 'em out. (Sorry for the poor paraphrase, William Westmoreland).
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Shoulda' built the fence. Forget political correctness.
    Bush failed with weasel Michael Chertoff.
    Obama failed with loser Janet Napolitano.

In 25 years, the US will be a spanish speaking third world country.

VIP Member
    There have been too many wimps in our country for too long. Our current President is just another one of them.

My brother is a BP Agent, I hope Obama's ideas of how the job should be done don't get my brother killed.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

It's getting worse. Military action on both sides of the border wouldn't surprise me at this point.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Isn't Mexico a gun free zone?

Senior Moderator
    It's getting worse. Military action on both sides of the border wouldn't surprise me at this point.
    Nothing is going to happen. Its all planned. Its part of the destabilization of America.

Though the people scream for relief,there will none. The results of the chaos and terrorism will be used to futher the goals of those that would destroy this nation from within.

Want proof?

Just watch.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links