Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times

This is a discussion on Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times - cbs2.com MISSION VIEJO (CBS) ― Click to enlarge 1 of 1 Champ is on the mend ...

Thread: Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times

Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times

Tough Dog Recovers After Being Shot 5 Times - cbs2.com

MISSION VIEJO (CBS) ―
    Click to enlarge
    1 of 1
    Champ is on the mend after being shot five times.
    CBS
    This little guy has been though a lot.

The four-year-old German Shepherd, appropriately named "Champ," was shot five times when an intruder entered his home.

You can still see his wounds...his leg...fragile, from nerve damage...his jaw fractured.

Dr. Matthew Wheaton showed the bullet in the x-rays, still lodged in the side of Champ's mouth.

Police held Champ as evidence while they investigated the shooting. His condition did not improve.

But thanks to the "Pet Rescue Center" in Mission Viejo and "Coastal German Shepherd", Champ will survive.

They rescued him from a shelter where he was scheduled to be put down.

Says Wheaton, "These cases are hard every time. The thing that makes it easier is that we're actually able to help and pull together as a group and do some pretty amazing stuff. That before, this dog would have been euthanized. No question."

Champ will undergo surgery at the Pet Rescue Center -- after the surgey, Champ will probably be taken care of by a foster family. He should be available for adoption in about a month.

Adds Wheaton, "This is really cool for us to be able to make a difference and we're proud to be a part of it."

A second chance at life -- for a dog who truly is a champ.

In Mission Viejo, I'm Melissa Mecija, reporting for cbs2.com.
    ( MMX, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Evidently the family who owned Champ, gave him up after he was shot because they did not want to pay the vet bills.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I didn't know Skynet built dogs?!

Man that is one tough pooch!
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    It's a shame the family can't afford him after the protection he provided for them. He may have saved their lives wish I knew all the story but sounds like a dog I would try very hard to keep after what he did.

Dogs are very protective of their "people", you should read about some of the things the K-9's have been through in several of our wars. That's probably why dogs are listed as "Mans Best Friend"!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    It's a shame the family can't afford him after the protection he provided for them. He may have saved their lives wish I knew all the story but sounds like a dog I would try very hard to keep after what he did.
    Yes, I am looking for the whole story. The family could have kept him and even if they couldnt have afforded the vet bills, they could have got help from animal charities or from the local community. I am sure there would have been vets willing to do the actual labor pro bono just maybe would have needed the price of drugs. I would do whatever I could for my dog, even more so if that dog took rounds for me.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,2789359.story

Here ya go. If you notice the family DECLINED to pay his bills.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    I didn't know Skynet built dogs?!

Man that is one tough pooch!
    LOL

Terminator Dog!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    So I guess the shooter got off scott free?

There should be laws protecting and regarding your Dog by offering capital murder charges if they get shot or killed while on your/their home property!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

That is messed up, on the part of the inaction by the family he saved.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    That is messed up, on the part of the inaction by the family he saved.

- Janq
    Yeah I agree,who the hell just ignores a dog after he put his life on the line guarding and protecting you.I wouldn't care if it took me years to pay the vet bill,I'm sure a vet would have worked out an amicable payment plan,on the other hand some people look at pets as disposable property like a broken chair.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yeah I agree,who the hell just ignores a dog after he put his life on the line guarding and protecting you.I wouldn't care if it took me years to pay the vet bill,I'm sure a vet would have worked out an amicable payment plan,on the other hand some people look at pets as disposable property like a broken chair.
    some people...

I'm fond of my parents dog... if she got hurt I would kick in for vet bills and she ain't even my dog!

Hope the super mutt gets a good home where the owners appreciate the affection and company of this uber pooch
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Even if the costs were going to be crazy high I would try to do something.

Maybe they thought the injuries would leave it maimed, but even then they would as owners have option to euthanize it rather than just give it up altogether.

I hope there is more to this because the story as it reads makes little sense, to me.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    If nothing else the bad guy should pay for the vet bills if they catch him but I defenitely would not give up my dog for doing his job. I have two that are protective but are cow dogs first. They get kicked by cows and ran over annually and I gladly pay the vet bills because they work for me and get hurt helping me so its my duty to take care of them. They are also cheaper and better help than finding day workers, they listen better too.

The dog gets shot defending the house and he gets dumped at a shelter ?
    People never cease to disapoint me .
    Dogs are like kids, if you can't afford to take care of them don't get them .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Sounds like the dog deserves a better home than it had to begin with. I would do what I had to do to save my dog if it were at all possible. If someone came to my house and shot my dog, the police would have an easy time finding them, they would be laying in a heap.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links