Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City

This is a discussion on Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Even though the store clerk complied with the thug's demands, he was still shot dead... Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City - Video - ...

Thread: Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City

Store Clerk Gunned Down In Kansas City

2. Remove Ads

This is a shame, the bad part is that these dirtbags will probably keep this up until they are stopped. It's a shame that there were not several legal cc customers in the store at the time, at least the BG's might have been laying on the floor along with the victim when the police arrived.

I don't miss living in KC one bit. I was up there just this weekend to take my mom to dinner at Stroud's in Claycomo. Between my wife and I, we were packing 4 pistols. A primary and a BUG for each of us. And we each had a can of OC spray.

I ended up leaving my mom my 2 oz can of Fox OC spray. She just doesn't think she could ever use a gun to defend herself. I make it a point to talk crime and protection every time I visit but she is just set in her ways. She did say the OC spray will make her feel safer when she's out and about.

That shooting happened in South KC, I'm glad my mom finally moved from that general area about 5 years ago to north land area by the airport in a gated community. Psychologically it's a safer area but when you get right down to it, no place is totally safe. Last year, less than 5 miles from where my mom is living now, a CCW permit holder shot a man trying to rob him at a north land ATM machine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

On final shift before new job beckoned, 7-Eleven clerk killed in robbery
    By CHRISTINE VENDEL
    The Kansas City Star

Gurpreet Singh knew what to do when a gunman approached the counter at the 7-Eleven in Kansas City where Singh was working early Wednesday: cooperate.

It was Singh’s final shift as a night clerk at the store at 8501 E. Bannister Road. He was looking forward to starting a new full-time job next week at a hospital. All he had to do was make it a few more hours.

So Singh, 35, handed over the cash in a bag exactly as instructed.

The gunman took the bag and inexplicably fired a single shot into Singh’s abdomen before walking out the door. The store’s surveillance camera recorded the violence.

Singh dialed 911 about 1:10 a.m. and told police what happened. He collapsed on the floor and later died in surgery, leaving behind two children, ages 7 and 9.

Police can’t explain why the gunman shot Singh.

“He didn’t put up a struggle at all,” said homicide Detective Jeff Cowdrey. “He did what he was supposed to do and got shot for it.”

Singh, who went by the first name Tony, had only worked at the store for about a month, but Wednesday was the second time he had been robbed there and the seventh time the store had been robbed in 12 months.

On Feb. 22, shortly after 12:30 a.m., he and another clerk, who was in training, were stocking items in the back of the store.

The gunman grabbed the back of Singh’s shirt, pointed a handgun at them and forced them to empty their cash registers into a plastic bag. The gunman then asked for three packs of Newport cigarettes and fled. No one was injured.

The robbery in February rattled Singh, but he continued his employment to support his children, friends said. He wanted to provide the best for them.

His family immigrated to the United States from India while he was in middle school. Since graduating from high school, he had worked in a variety of positions at St. Joseph Health Center, including the laundry room and radiology.

His current job there was part time, but he recently had been offered a promotion to kitchen supervisor, a full-time position.

Singh’s brother said Singh had a strong work ethic. He could have failed to show up for his final shifts at the convenience store. But he had given his word that he would be there, Gurbhushan Singh said.

Tony Singh told his brother last week how happy he was about his promotion.

His kids proudly announced that he was going to be “the boss.”

The divorced father had promised his children he was going to take them on a trip this summer.

Instead, Gurbhushan Singh had to wake them Wednesday and tell them their father had died.

“They know they’re never going to see him again,” Gurbhushan Singh said. “That was really hard.”

Gurbhushan Singh said his brother spent nearly all of his free time with his children, taking them to swim lessons or Build-A-Bear. His brother liked everybody and never had a rude word to say about other people.

“That’s why everybody liked him,” Gurbhushan Singh said.

Police are looking to identify three people inside the store at the time of the killing.

Video surveillance showed the gunman, who wore a black hooded sweatshirt or coat; a man standing next to him, who wore a dark coat with a white T-shirt underneath; and a woman wearing a white T-shirt who stood near the door.

Read more: On final shift before new job beckoned, 7-Eleven clerk killed in robbery - KansasCity.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't miss living in KC one bit. I was up there just this weekend to take my mom to dinner at Stroud's in Claycomo. Between my wife and I, we were packing 4 pistols. A primary and a BUG for each of us. And we each had a can of OC spray.
    What you couldn't conceal the .50 cal under your trench coat?

I don't think it is quite that bad here as long as you avoid certain parts of town.

Tragedy.
    I wonder if the store has a no carry policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete14 View Post
    What you couldn't conceal the .50 cal under your trench coat?

I don't think it is quite that bad here as long as you avoid certain parts of town.
    Well, considering I worked EMS in KCMO for 7 years and spent my time at stations 9th & Paseo, 34th & Paseo, 63rd & Paseo, 31st & Indiana, 28th & Main, and West Pennway in the west bottoms and currently keep contact with several of KCPD swat and current EMS crews, I'm guessing I have a pretty good idea of where the violence is happening today.

Considering last year a CCW holder shot a robber at an ATM about 5 miles from Weatherby Lake and Police shot a deranged gunmen at McDonalds on Barry Road it really doesn't matter where you are if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Oh, and if I was a woman, I sure wouldn't want to live in the Waldo area. There's still some nice houses over there, but they have this violent serial rapist on the loose they still can't catch.

So, yeah, by all means, if you don't feel the need to have a back up gun, that's great. But as an engineer, I'm assuming you don't deal a whole lot with violence or genuine nameless, faceless criminals on the street in your line of work. No need to ridicule people because their life experiences are different than your own.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

“He didn’t put up a struggle at all,” said homicide Detective Jeff Cowdrey. “He did what he was supposed to do and got shot for it.”

Any questions? Kind of sums up why I'm not real interested in cooperating any more. That is terrible though. I've done the stop and rob gig. One robbery would have seen me out the door I believe.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    Tragedy.
    I wonder if the store has a no carry policy.
    Well, the 7-Eleven stores in Oklahoma have been posted no-carry for years, and their management pushes the "fully cooperate" policy for employees to follow when armed robbers show up. In fact I own a dry-cleaners next to a 7-11 and I have been in the back of their store, and you can't BELIEVE the level they go to in instructing employees what to do when the SHTF (that is, do whatever they say, don't make them mad, etc.). They have (or did have) a large sign in the back listing how to cooperate. Sickening.

Don't know about the KC stores but I would guess it is much the same.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I'm a retired LEO from Delaware, we had the same problem with a 7 Eleven being repeatedley robbed. The cure, stake out team behind the drink cooler. Perp dead as soon as the weapon was drawn. No more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm a retired LEO from Delaware, we had the same problem with a 7 Eleven being repeatedley robbed. The cure, stake out team behind the drink cooler. Perp dead as soon as the weapon was drawn. No more issues.
    Perp:

Cops:
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jacket View Post
    Perp:

Cops:
    The perfect response...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

An arrest has been made and murder and robbery charges have been filed....

Kansas City police have arrested a man who they say robbed and killed a 7-Eleven clerk who was working his last shift at the convenience store last week.

Jackson County prosecutors on Monday filed murder and robbery charges against Phillip D. Martin, 19, of Kansas City, in connection with the Wednesday slaying of Gurpreet “Tony” Singh, 35.

Police said they received several tips naming Martin and had other evidence linking him to the crime at 8501 E. Bannister Road.

Officers had been looking for Martin since Saturday. He was arrested at 11:15 p.m. Monday near 13th and Cleveland without incident, police said, noting that his address is within ZIP code 64130, or about 10 miles from the store.

Singh had given his two-week notice and was working his final shift about 1:10 a.m. when a gunman demanded cash. Singh cooperated fully but the gunman inexplicably shot him in the abdomen before fleeing. The store's surveillance system recorded the holdup.

Singh was preparing to start a new full-time job this week at a hospital. He leaves behind two children, ages 7 and 9, who are being raised by Singh's brother, Gurbhushan Singh, and his wife.

Relatives set visitation for 2-4 p.m. Friday at Langsford Funeral Homes, 115 SW Third Street in Lee's Summit. Services are set for 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday at the Midwest Sikh Association, 6834 Pflumm Road in Shawnee.

Murder charges filed in death of 7-Eleven clerk - KansasCity.com

Links