Cut him a break.....he was just cold LOL!!!

This is a discussion on Cut him a break.....he was just cold LOL!!! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Buy A Jacket - AskMen.com PITTSBURGH (AP) Police say a man broke into a Pittsburgh home and climbed into bed with its owner, apparently ...

Thread: Cut him a break.....he was just cold LOL!!!

Buy A Jacket - AskMen.com

PITTSBURGH (AP) Police say a man broke into a Pittsburgh home and climbed into bed with its owner, apparently because he was drunk and cold following a rap concert.

Homeowner Frank Fontana says he was in bed when the man climbed in about 5:30 Wednesday morning. Fontana says he asked whether it was a woman who has keys to his home and he grabbed a baseball bat when a deep male voice answered, "No, it's not."

Police say Fontana kept the man at bay until police arrived but didn't hit him with the bat.

Police say the intruder told them he was looking for shelter after a Tuesday night concert by rapper Jay-Z at the Mellon Arena.

The 33-year-old man faces a preliminary hearing on charges of criminal mischief and criminal trespass.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Since it says nothing about breaking and entering it appears that this individual went to sleep with his doors unlocked, not the sharpest tool in the box!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Since it says nothing about breaking and entering it appears that this individual went to sleep with his doors unlocked, not the sharpest tool in the box!!
    More than likely he could have been charged with breaking and entering, but a lot of that depends on the city ordinances etc. The term "breaking and entering" doesn't always mean the physical action of breaking something to enter.

Sorry if I misread the intention in your post, but I thought I would try to add some information for good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Buy A Jacket - AskMen.com

PITTSBURGH (AP) Police say a man broke into a Pittsburgh home and climbed into bed with its owner, apparently because he was drunk and cold following a rap concert.

Homeowner Frank Fontana says he was in bed when the man climbed in about 5:30 Wednesday morning. Fontana says he asked whether it was a woman who has keys to his home and he grabbed a baseball bat when a deep male voice answered, "No, it's not."

Police say Fontana kept the man at bay until police arrived but didn't hit him with the bat.

Police say the intruder told them he was looking for shelter after a Tuesday night concert by rapper Jay-Z at the Mellon Arena.

The 33-year-old man faces a preliminary hearing on charges of criminal mischief and criminal trespass.

In New York the act of Criminal Mischief 3rd degree is defined as "A person is guilty of criminal mischief when, with intent to damage property of another person, no having no right to do so nor any reasonable ground to believe that he or she has such right, he or she:
    damages property of another person in an amount exceeding two hundred fifty dollars". Degree of crime varies due to cost of damage or use of explosives.

I assume he was charged with that because he must have broken a door or window to get into the house.

In NYS there is no statute for Breaking and Entering. It would fall under Burglary which states a person enters or remains in a building (3rd degree) or dwelling (2nd degree) with the intent to commit a crime therein.

Since this bozo broke into the house just to seek shelter and not to commit a crime inside the house he could not be charged with Burglary hence the charge of Criminal Trespass.
    Hope this helped clear it up for you.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

You can always get a good night's sleep from a couple of hits of Louisville Slugger.

Diablo, thank you very much for the information! That was exactly what I was looking for to clarify why the individual was being charged with what he is.

Not a problem....now if i could only get people to stop mixing up robbery and burglary when talking about someone breaking in and stealing stuff
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

It woulda' been "lights out" at my house.

concert by rapper Jay-Z
    You don't suppose drugs were involved???

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I'm lost trying to understand how the guy made it all the way into the bed with the home owner?
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

" a woman who has keys to his home "

This sounds like the door was lock but it was normal for a woman friend to make unexpected visits to his bed.
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I've always wondered about that, down here from what I understand. You don't have to to lock your doors for it to be considered breaking and entering, it's automatic if you open a door to a car or property that doesn't belong to you.

I mean I lock my doors anyways, it's stupid now a days not to.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Links