Not Good: State trooper leaves his loaded handgun at Lowe's - Page 2

Not Good: State trooper leaves his loaded handgun at Lowe's

This is a discussion on Not Good: State trooper leaves his loaded handgun at Lowe's within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He needs a reprimand....and some idiot detail with a desk or some other duty all the officers loathe. Thatll sink in. We all do something ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Good: State trooper leaves his loaded handgun at Lowe's

He needs a reprimand....and some idiot detail with a desk or some other duty all the officers loathe. Thatll sink in. We all do something dumb.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just goes to show you that even those with supposed experience make mistakes. He might get some desk time but Hiram25 has it right. He'll be repriminded (sp intentional) by his fellow officers for the rest of his career.
    Last edited by Passin' Through; March 19th, 2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Name
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

I can understand how someone can forget the firearm, and this is exactly why my firearm NEVER leaves my body. If I have to sit down, it goes in my pocket.
    No excuse for this negligence...none! I don't believe that he should lose his job, but he may need to guard a 'school crosswalk' for a while.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Do you really need a law to tell you the correct response when you have found something that does not belong to you?

I'd turn the gun in and not have a second thought about it.
    Bingo. ^^

This should be a no brainer without question, regardless of what ones state law might be.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds similar to a case I hard about where an FTO noticed his rookie forgot his sidearm at home; FTO let him make the first stop, rookie went to get out of the car and realized what he forgot to bring to work, FTO took care of the rest of the stop while the rookie sat in the car to think about it, and then they had to drive back to his house to get it before continuing his shift, all the while hearing it from his FTO.

These things happen, it's the same as people who get distracted and almost have the ND and then report it back here. Humans by nature aren't perfect, and do make mistakes, hopefully they aren't as bad as they could be, learn the lesson and move on. It's part of why there's four rules not just one, so that even if one slips, the rest are there to at least keep someone from getting hurt. He got really lucky someone honest and responsible found it. I doubt he'll do it again, and be taking his time to think through his actions next time.

And based on when I heard the story from that FTO vs when it happened, I suspect the comment about not living it down for the next 20 years is goin' to be pretty accurate.

What Janq said the first time.

This is very serious, how different would this thread read if i kid would have got it and shot someone or themself??
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    This is very serious, how different would this thread read if i kid would have got it and shot someone or themself??
    I've got to agree with this, and with Janq and some of the other posters.

I've seen at least one other thread some time back about a non-LEO leaving a gun behind, and the potential for disaster in these cases is very real. I commend the officer for realizing his mistake relatively quickly but his quickness was just that...relative. Maybe not so bad in this case. Had a current or future criminal found him/herself a "clean" gun, worse. Had some kids gotten hold of it and decided to "play", like Dixietwister says...
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Sounds similar to a case I hard about where an FTO noticed his rookie forgot his sidearm at home; FTO let him make the first stop, rookie went to get out of the car and realized what he forgot to bring to work, FTO took care of the rest of the stop while the rookie sat in the car to think about it, and then they had to drive back to his house to get it before continuing his shift, all the while hearing it from his FTO.

These things happen, it's the same as people who get distracted and almost have the ND and then report it back here. Humans by nature aren't perfect, and do make mistakes, hopefully they aren't as bad as they could be, learn the lesson and move on. It's part of why there's four rules not just one, so that even if one slips, the rest are there to at least keep someone from getting hurt. He got really lucky someone honest and responsible found it. I doubt he'll do it again, and be taking his time to think through his actions next time.

And based on when I heard the story from that FTO vs when it happened, I suspect the comment about not living it down for the next 20 years is goin' to be pretty accurate.
    ^^^^I agree^^^^^^^

In no way should he lose his job. This is serious, but not as serious as say, leaving your baby in the car, on a 87 degree day to go gambling,(yes this did happen), or to get your hair and nails done,(yes, this too happened), all in the metro Detroit area.JMHO
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I'll try not to ruffle too many feathers.

Civilian leaves gun = hang em, lock them up, take away permit etc.

LEO leaves gun = Hey, cut 'em loose. Everyone makes mistakes.

Yes it was a mistake, I'm all for equal treatment leaving the 'job title' out of it. Now with out knowing the persons job title, what would you say?

If the article read permit holder instead, what would you say?

I guess double standards really bug me. This is not a cut against LEO, but a statement on double standards.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    This is not stupid...It is gross negligence.

Stupid is sticking your nose in a container to smell rotten milk after being told & shown ewww this smells rotten by another.
    No real potential for harm, no foul.

This event had very real potential for harm, albeit by happenstance alone resulted in no foul.

The employee did the right thing by turning the gun over immediately to law enforcement.
    He could have chosen to take it and say nothing...It likely winding up on the streets.
    Or a walk-in citizen could have found it or a teen or a small child.

Why people unholster to use the facilities (#2) is beyond me.
    All you have to do is drop pants and put hand to the gun letting it go to the ground controlled by your hand as remaining holstered.
    Reverse when finished.

He might not lose his job but he definitely should suffer an official reprimand.

- Janq
    Yep, gross negligence is the correct answer. I can't see any reason for anyone LEO or civilian to leave a firearm behind. As a firearm owner(even before I started to carry) I have always been taught that one is always responsible for a firearm, at all times. Always
    Using the toilet can be tricky and for us girls who have to sit down for either #1 or #2, even more so. In a public restroom, my firearm never leaves the holster, and my holster never comes off, therefore is never left behind. My pants are never lowered below knee level and one hand if always holding the outside of the holster, the gun cannot fall out, nor can it ever touch a dirty bathroom floor or even be seen below the level or the door. One handed toilet usage isn't easy, but it can be done and it's a technique I practiced at home before I ever used a public bathroom while carrying.
    For me personally not having full control over my firearm at any time is simply inexcusable. My firearm is never anywhere but in my holster, my hand(at the range) or in a safe, or on the desk in front of me while I'm cleaning it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I guess double standards really bug me. This is not a cut against LEO, but a statement on double standards.
    Agree 1000%.

For those who think LEOs should be cut some slack because they carry more often than a non-LEO, well, show me an LEO who carries more hours per day than I do, and I'll show you an LEO who sleeps less than I do.

No one's perfect. I get it. But we need to do all we can to minimize our risks.

I was in a public restroom recently which had no table, and the commode was slanted too much to lay anything on it. Since I was carrying in the appendix area, the gun becomes extremely unstable when my belt is undone. I could hold the gun for the duration, but that's rather inconvenient.

I just happened to be wearing an empty SmartCarry. (Yeh, I know I sound paranoid, but that practice has gotten me out of a few jams.) Problem solved, and I didn't have to hold the gun or lay it on the floor.

I agree with no double standards. Such a practice drives a wedge between LEOs and the public, and deservedly so. My life, my freedoms, and my professional reputation are just as important to me and my family as the same issues are for LEOs and their families.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So does he remain on duty without his gun? That would be a heck of a punishment!

I have never done such a thing, oh wait I'll be right back, I forgot something in the bathroom...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    So does he remain on duty without his gun?
    What if 'I' did the same thing, would leaving my gun in a public restroom justify the revocation of my permit? Should I get special consideration because I'm a minister? What about a carpenter, electrician, soldier, or paramedic? Would any of these professions exempt me from accepted safety standards?

Would any of my personal circumstances change your verdict? I have a tough job, a lot of stress, problems at home, financial woes?. If I said I have special firearms training, most would say that I should have known better in the first place (based on all that extra training).

I'm not advocating crucifying this officer (not my point at all), I'd just really like to see (at the very least) the same standards applied to everyone regardless of race, creed or job title.

If you say a violation would be reasonable and understandable for one profession, why would it be unreasonable for another person of a different profession?

It's the SAME mistake, would it be acceptable to excuse a carpenter while penalizing an architect for the exact same action? Somehow the reasoning just doesn't have the same impact when you substitute professions. (again, not about LEO's but double standards)

To answer the rest of your question, NO it would not be wise to put an officer in a dangerous situation without a means of protection. I would not want to see that happen to anyone. However if that officer gets his gun privileges revoked, then they should not be put in situations requiring a firearm.

If a person gets their drivers license revoked for reckless driving and putting others in danger would it be reasonable to dismiss the penalty for some people and let the rest take the bus based solely on job title?

Please understand I'm not out to get this officer. I don't know them, I have nothing against them period. My beef (if you want to call it that) is with double standards. With some 'on duty' exceptions I believe that we should all be treated equally.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I just wanted to clarify myself.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links