Why an innocent mother at home with her three children might need a gun.

This is a discussion on Why an innocent mother at home with her three children might need a gun. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Glad it didn't go too bad. Crime Scene - Dale City man charged in Pr. William wrong-home invasion Dale City man charged in Pr . ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why an innocent mother at home with her three children might need a gun.

VIP Member

Glad it didn't go too bad.

Crime Scene - Dale City man charged in Pr. William wrong-home invasion

Dale City man charged in Pr. William wrong-home invasion

One of the two men who allegedly stormed into a Lake Ridge townhouse looking for drugs -- the wrong house, as it happened -- was arrested Tuesday, Prince William County police said.

On March 11, police said, two men kicked down a home's ground-level door, forced a 29-year-old woman into a second-floor bedroom, made her lie face-down on the floor and searched the home for drugs. They didn't find any.

The men left when they realized they had the wrong target, police said. The woman's three young children, all younger than 5, hid in another section of the house during the attack. All were unharmed.

On Tuesday, Prince William police arrested Shyreece N. Brown, 29, after detectives executed a search warrant at his home in the 3400 block of Braddock Drive in Dale City, police said.

Police are still seeking a second man.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

This could have really gone downhill fast. Shotgun time!

A shotgun/longgun would have done her little to no good in the immediate as she'd have had to corral her kids and then go for the gun as stored locked and unloaded elsewhere in the house, all the while with BGs in the immediate are within her home actively seeking her out.
    Even if she had forgone looking to corral her children (which is not typical for a mom) she still would have had little time to be effective in securing an arm and deploying it.

Better would be on body holstered carry, of a handgun.
    But how many moms at home with their young children will do as much? The odds are narrow.

An even better more functional solution would be to both strengthen the doors to reduce ease of whihc a door can be kicked in AND to have a dog of some size that is naturally protective.
    The former is of low cost while the latter is of much higher cost, and personal risk to the children.

An unfortunate event that now she and her children mentally will be scarred with for life. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree... Large Dogs, handgun on person at all times around house, long gun accessible. Locked doors and windows and metal doors with good locks re-enforced door jambs.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    A shotgun/longgun would have done her little to no good in the immediate as she'd have had to corral her kids and then go for the gun as stored locked and unloaded elsewhere in the house, all the while with BGs in the immediate are within her home actively seeking her out.
    That's why people need to gunproof their kids, not childproof their guns.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    That's why people need to gunproof their kids, not childproof their guns.
    It states they were all younger than five (5).
    Fifteen maybe 'gun proofing' might work for some though clearly not all.
    But under age five...Lets be serious.

My own kids are so called gun proofed (ages 7 and 3) and have been since my oldest was 3.

Do or would I rely on that alone?
    Heck no!
    Why?
    Because I'm not stupid nor living in a fantasy world where children always with out exception do as they are told. And I love my kids, enough to actively protect them rather than depend on passive 'Don't do this' commentary & hope.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If you choose not to be armed while at home, then you may suffer the consequences of a 'one in a million' chance of a possible home invasion.
    The 'never happen to me', indeed did happen to this family.

Stay armed...even at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've gun proofed my kids pretty well. We have several loaded weapons accessible. They have not been the least bit interested in them. I think they know better too. If they show any interest I offer to let them see them, which has yet to happen outside of watching me clean them or work on them. The only gun that is completely accessible to them is the shotgun. We keep it cruiser ready though. They would have release the slide, rack it, knock off the safety , then pull the trigger. It slows down deployment of it in an emergency, but it's the safest way to store it and still be accessible. I also keep mine on me 99% of the time. We use the fact that they are young and short to our advantage with the handguns. A handgun locked completely away is useless. The bulk of my guns are locked up. But in order for them to be useful defensively, they need to be accessible. The child safety laws are folks just trying to make themselves feel good.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

+1 retsupt99!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

An even better more functional solution would be to both strengthen the doors to reduce ease of whihc a door can be kicked in AND to have a dog of some size that is naturally protective.
    The former is of low cost while the latter is of much higher cost, and personal risk to the children.
    Why is the dog of higher cost and a risk to the children? Or am I reading this wrong?

- Janq
    +100000000

"Hardening" your home from kicked in doors is really simple & cheap

People need to know that they can make it very much more difficult for this type of burglary / home invasion to take place.

Fox Detroit ran a segment on just this.

Home Security Tips that Cost Pennies

These tips are among the first things I do whenever I move into a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    Why is the dog of higher cost and a risk to the children? Or am I reading this wrong?
    In addition to dogs requiring water, food, vaccinations (rabies) & meds (worms)....Reference this item; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post231646

- Janq

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Harden those doors, skip the dog with 3 kids, that's an accident waiting to happen. I concur with whomever said that the women with 3 kids will probably not have a weapon on her, not likely since she's already got 3 kids to care for and the chance of one grabbing hold of it and don't tell me it can't happen, have 3 kids and you know anything is possible.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Janq, I understand your point. I suppose growing up around dogs my entire life I have never really thought of the care of them as an "expense", but of course it is. Your facts cant be disputed (they could be, I could pull up some dog lover anti gun propoganda, but that would be what it is and it is not worth arguing over) I still dont see some peoples view on how a dog could be a problem in a house with kids, but that is not what this thread is about and I digress.

Because House #3 isn't so very different from House #14. Robbers can break into either, probably with equal ease.

Because a mother has nothing more important in this life than her children. There is no better reason to be able to withstand a violent attack than to keep her children safe. But you can't do that with nothing but hope and good wishes.

Because a mother with three children has much to keep her attention. From a criminal attacker's perspective she's a juicier target than most, assuming she's got what the robber wants. Better to be armed and potentially capable of thwarting a violent attack, than not having a prayer in doing so.

Anytime. Anywhere.

kicked down a home's ground-level door
    That's hard to defend against, as it happens so quickly. About the only thing to be done is: to delay entry via a hardened perimeter; and to make entry more difficult once achieved, via a big dog. Beyond that, defending from a "safe" (or at least a safer) room is about all you can do if they achieve entry.

Hm. Imagine a house with legitimate moat and wall to be scaled, outside the home. Then, inside, the "safe" area of sleeping rooms would be inside another moat/walled area, forming an inner ring. Thus, even if the outer perimeter were breached, the inner ring would also have to be breached, but that could consist of hardened doors and walkways, the water/wall in the way to bar easy access to rooms once inside the outer perimeter. The family could monitor the outer ring from this inner safe zone. They could much more easily defend the area, given how it's sealed off from the main area of the home. It could be ringed with those manufactured bullet-proof walls. (Interesting, for a new build.) Of course, if the "drawbridge" failed to go down in the morning with the remote control, someone's gonna be late for work.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links