Individual shot at gun show - Denver/Merged

This is a discussion on Individual shot at gun show - Denver/Merged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Isn't everyone jumping to conclusions here it was a ND ? Police have not said whether the shooting was intentional or an accident. I mean ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Individual shot at gun show - Denver/Merged

Isn't everyone jumping to conclusions here it was a ND ?

Police have not said whether the shooting was intentional or an accident.

I mean really, that leaves a lot of room for about anything ....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Early witness reports say it was a ND.
    Man Shot At Denver Gun Show - Video - KMGH Denver

this is not good for our cause.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Does it matter? He still had the muzzle pointed at someone which is a direct violation of safe gun handling rules!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

The vendor better hope he's got a lot of Insurance,You never pull the trigger on a gun that you have not personally cleared,you never point a gun at anything you don't wish to have sue you, I mean destroy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maybe the dealer didn't want to haggle on the price. lol

but seriously , Never point the a gun at something you are not willing to destroy.
    why in the world would he pull the trigger? Unless he was one of tehe ones that anytimehe handles a firearm his finger is on the trigger

Most importantly...I hope the victim pull through
    Last edited by eggs; March 21st, 2010 at 11:23 AM.

I was going to go today and take my wife as she has never been to a gun show. Good thing we got tied up and was unable to make it. That would have been a bad first impression.

The one thing that's truly hard to achieve in a crowded place is keeping the muzzle from covering others. Unless you're tall and can point everything above the heads of everyone, most folks "cover" someone in a busy spot like a large gun show. For that reason, and the simple fact that shows rarely have what I'm looking for, I long ago ceased going to shows.

When going to a gun shop to peruse, I always try to be at the counter facing a wall when evaluating a gun on the counter. Doing this means that the only risk of people coming in front of the muzzle are those that would come in front of me. Store staff should know better. But, even if they don't, then I can quickly raise the muzzle and wait until an oncoming person has passed before continuing. It puts everything in my control ... at least, so far as the gun that I'm evaluating is concerned. Nothing protects me from guns that others are fooling with, except for them following much the same procedure.

Such is life.

Hm. One would think that in any such situation, the presumption of innocence must hold true. Only if there is strong evidence to the contrary would it seem worth making such a statement as this to a newsie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So far I've heard two rumors.

Rumor A - The vendor was showing a weapon to a customer, and accidentally shot him in the chest/shoulder, thinking the weapon was unloaded.

Rumor B - Two friends, both experienced in handling firearms, attended the show together. Friend A picked up a weapon of a vendors table, pointed it towards his buddy, and pressed the trigger. I can only assume he was either joking around, or was simply negligent and attempting to dry fire while pointed at someone.

I do not believe any news source has actually confirmed exactly what happened, yet. As of now, it seems that the victim is still alive. Lets hope he pulls through.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Ape
    I agree that handling a gun at a show makes it difficult not to put the muzzle in a bad place. And of course you constantly see idiots who pay no attention what so ever! But nonetheless, the basics of gun safety should be seared into the brain of anyone and everyone who wishes to handle a gun! And one of those is the simple and yet effective "KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH!"

I never handle a gun without making sure it's clear myself. But even when you know it's clear.... IT'S NOT!

When my wife and daughter and I were at the last Tanner show that had an ND, my daughter (who was 9 at the time) got really mad once the shock and scare wore off. The whole ride home she kept talking about how stupid someone has to be to have their finger on the trigger without being at a safe range. And she was 9! So how is it people get older and dumber when it comes to gun safety?????

VIP Member
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ape View Post
    So how is it people get older and dumber when it comes to gun safety?????
    I don't necessarily think its older and dumber. I think most everyone who attends is fully aware of the laws of gun handling, and abides by them when at home or at a range. But in the setting of that show, i can see how it would be tough to obey. Its crowded, its loud, and there are THOUSANDS of guns. People literally walk from table to table, picking up and examining the weapons. Now, im not making an excuse for this incident, because it did occur due to someones extreme carelessness and stupidity, but after about 100 guns its hard to make yourself check each one.

If anything is to change from this, i wouldn't mind the zip-tie rule be applied to all guns, from everyone. Most of the big vendors use them now, but alot of the smaller vendors don't. And, you already have security walking around the show. Let them be the enforcers of that rule.

Oh, and still no news about what happened. The Denver post has even removed it off their homepage...
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Let me go out on a limb. Seller shoots customer. Not intentional.

But very stupid.

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by djz87 View Post
    I don't necessarily think its older and dumber. I think most everyone who attends is fully aware of the laws of gun handling, and abides by them when at home or at a range. But in the setting of that show, i can see how it would be tough to obey. Its crowded, its loud, and there are THOUSANDS of guns. People literally walk from table to table, picking up and examining the weapons. Now, im not making an excuse for this incident, because it did occur due to someones extreme carelessness and stupidity, but after about 100 guns its hard to make yourself check each one.
    I can agree with not staying true to checking each and every gun to make sure it's clear. But that doesn't take away from the fact that your finger should NEVER be on the trigger! No excuse for that in my book.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    For cryin out...just what we need, bad press and more ammo for the sheep run media. Cmon dude, you should know better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links