Can I Have My Gun Back?

This is a discussion on Can I Have My Gun Back? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The dirtbag asks for his gun back? Huh? March 22, 2010 Popeyes manager fights off alleged robber at Covington restaurant Fearing for his life, a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I Have My Gun Back?

Can I Have My Gun Back?

The dirtbag asks for his gun back? Huh?

March 22, 2010

Popeyes manager fights off alleged robber at Covington restaurant

Fearing for his life, a Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken and Biscuits’ manager in Covington wrestled a gun away from a robber, then – after firing a warning shot into the ceiling – told him to scram, police said.

In the early morning hours today, Covington police responded to reports of an armed robbery at the restaurant at 71711 Riverside Drive.

The manager, Connie Robinson, 34, told police he was walking out of the store just before midnight on Sunday when he was accosted by a man wearing a black ski mask and a dark-colored, hooded sweatshirt, with the hood up, Covington Police spokesman Capt. Jack West said.

The assailant, described as about 5 feet 8 inches tall with a slim build, was armed with a blue steel revolver, West said.
    The man, who is still at large, ordered Robinson back into the business and told him to open the safe, West said. As he attempted to open it, the suspect told him he was going to kill him, and so, feeling he had nothing to lose, Robinson attacked the gunman, West said.

After a struggle – which West described as fierce, saying both men were injured – Robinson gained control of the gun and told the robber to leave.

The man then asked for his gun back and Robinson refused, firing one round into the ceiling, which prompted the robber to flee, West said.

The suspect ran across U.S. 190 into a wooded area, police said. Covington police and a St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office K-9 unit later attempted to track him, but his trail ended at a parking area on the other side of the woods, where investigators determined a car likely had been waiting for him, West said.
    Covington police are asking anyone with information to contact Lt. Steve Short at 985.892.8500.

Glenn Jacob, an executive of Pontchartrain Foods Inc., which has its office directly behind the Covington Popeyes and which owns Popeyes franchises throughout the north shore, declined to comment on the attempted robbery or allow Robinson to give interviews.

At first denying there even was an incident, Jacob later said on Monday that he was sick of talking about it, adding “if we never heard another word about it, that would be just fine.”
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I am outraged! How dare the store manager keep someone's personal property!

He should have promptly returned the gun... Bullets first!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

^^^^^^ Yep!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

IMO the ceiling was the wrong thing to shoot.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Someone attacks you, threatens to kill you, you overpower the perp and take his gun, and then . . . you fire a warning shot and let them slip away?

What am I missing here? Was it his cousin? This sounds like a clip from "Retards Who Don't Have A Clue. Episode 1".

I guess the Popeyes thing has something to do with it. Call me a dumbfounded fool.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    IMO the ceiling was the wrong thing to shoot.
    The guy may not own a gun and don't know anything about a "warning" shot.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I think my 'warning shot' would have been in a different direction.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

The man then asked for his gun back and Robinson refused, firing one round into the ceiling, which prompted the robber to flee, West said.

Maybe the BG had a Wilson Combat Custom 1911 and just had fallen on hard times ..... hahahaha
    No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.

Ronald Reagan

The Popeye's manager took the:

Liberal approach.

Disarm the perpetrator.
    Scold him, because his violent behavior is not allowed.
    Check the firearm to make sure it was working properly.
    Heaven knows we cannot just shoot someone because they threatend to kill, they have to do it first before we can.

The Conservative approach.

Disarm.
    Shoot in center mass.
    Call 911.

All kidding aside, the manager is downright lucky to be alive.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Shoot in center mass.
    Disarm.

Call 911.
    Fixed it for you
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I am outraged! How dare the store manager keep someone's personal property!

He should have promptly returned the gun... Bullets first!
    How dare he put a hole in the ceiling as opposed to the BG!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sounds like the bad guy got lucky.. I hope they catch him before he can hurt someone. Why that manager didn't put a round through the bad guy instead of the ceiling, I will never know.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The manager probably did not want to go to jail for shooting a now unarmed BG.

Also, given the jerk response of the corporate office as evidence of corporate attitude, he probably did not want to lose his job--these days, if you have a job, you really want to keep it.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Uhm, wait a minute here, let me get this straight.
    Now if this were me, some scum points a gun at me, threatens to kill me, I get the gun away from him, and he wants it back?????
    Sorry, I collect revolvers, stainless, nickel, and blue, maybe I'll add this one to my collection, after I empty it into Scum.
    After all I should test it first.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

jbs
    I woulda given him the gun back

ONE Round at a time!
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links