Child Shot in FL

This is a discussion on Child Shot in FL within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Child shot in Port Richey, apparently accidentally - Bay News 9 An unfortunate reminder to those who have little ones at home. PASCO COUNTY (Bay ...

Thread: Child Shot in FL

Child Shot in FL

Child shot in Port Richey, apparently accidentally - Bay News 9

An unfortunate reminder to those who have little ones at home.

PASCO COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Pasco County deputies are investigating what appears to be an accidental shooting of a 2-year-old girl in Port Richey.

The sheriff's office said they received a call at 10:35 a.m. that a girl had found a handgun on a bedroom nightstand at a residence on Freestone Lane and shot herself in the abdomen.

She has been taken by Bayflight to an area hospital.

Authorities have not released the names of the child's parents.

Deputies have interviewed the child's mother but have not released any further information about the case.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Please, please, please, people, if you have little ones (or just little-minded big ones) in the house, lock up your firearms or keep them on you!

What a tragedy!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

That's so sad. My next purchase is a safe.

Don't blame the gun. Blame the lack of parenting.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Tragic and sad. Poor kid. I agree with Road Runner 71 you must be extra careful with little ones they can find a way to get to almost anything

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Just saw it on the news. The gun belonged to the mother's boy friend and he left it on the nightstand. Police also found more guns, ammo and drugs in the house. The mother and her BF should be charged with child endangerment and put away for a long time. It didn't mention whether or not the boyfriend had a CCW permit. The media never does.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    It didn't mention whether or not the boyfriend had a CCW permit. The media never does.
    I fail to see what bearing this has on what happened in this trajedy.

The weapon simply was not only not secured but left accessible to a child. Charges should definately be forthcoming.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I agree on the charges. Since there were drugs in the house, I rather doubt that this "IDIOT" would have a ccw. I just hope the baby is ok.

Needless tragedy...this isn't going to go well for this couple.
    How difficult is it to THINK about your weapon?

I have guns is several places, but when the neighbor's young son comes to the door prior to entering, the first thing I do is put the guns in the safe, but the one on my side stays in place.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    What I meant by my comment was that I am assuming the boyfriend carried the gun to his girlfriends house. Whether he brought it loaded or unloaded and secured in a box is subject to conjecture. I also was referring to the fact that though the media reports hundreds of gun related incidents they almost never indicate whether the perp. is legally permitted. I merely am trying to point out that a gun related incident where the firearm is unpermitted or illegally used is exactly the reason gun control will not work. Never has, never will. It's also the rationale for law abiding citizens to be armed. I dunno, I just thought there was a connection, but then I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    What I meant by my comment was that I am assuming the boyfriend carried the gun to his girlfriends house. Whether he brought it loaded or unloaded and secured in a box is subject to conjecture. I also was referring to the fact that though the media reports hundreds of gun related incidents they almost never indicate whether the perp. is legally permitted. I merely am trying to point out that a gun related incident where the firearm is unpermitted or illegally used is exactly the reason gun control will not work. Never has, never will. It's also the rationale for law abiding citizens to be armed. I dunno, I just thought there was a connection, but then I'm old.
    I caught what you were trying to say, but then I'm getting old too.

I wish the media published the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth instead of the bias and sensationalism they are currently known for.

We don't have guns throughout the house, but when children I don't know are over everything gets locked up except for our EDC's. I have no worries about my 8 year old grand daughter. I've trained her, she has her own rifle and we shoot together often.

I totally agree, it's not the gun it's the parenting (or lack thereof)

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

PASCO COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Less than 24 hours after Pasco County deputies arrested the boyfriend of the child's mother in the case of an accidental shooting of a two-year-old girl, Ralph Ronzino made his first appearance before a judge.

Officials say Ronzino, 22, was arrested on charges of child neglect by culpable negligence, as well as possession with intent to distribute 202 grams of marijuana.

Both charges are second-degree felonies.

The sheriff's office said they received a call Friday at 10:35 a.m. that the girl, MacKenzie Smith, had found a handgun on a bedroom nightstand at her residence on Freestone Lane and shot herself in the abdomen.

Smith was flown by a Bayflite medical helicopter to an area hospital from the Pasco County home.

According to Pasco County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kevin Doll, the bullet, which was from a .380 caliber gun, went through Smith's body.

Overnight into Saturday morning, she reportedly underwent surgery and is now in critical, but stable condition.

Doll said that Smith and her mother, Jessica Smith, live in the home and Ronzino had been staying over.

He also said Ronzino heard a noise during the night, got the gun out, but didn't put it away.

Deputies confiscated that gun, as well as two others and an AK-47.

All were easily accessible to the child, officials say.

Ronzino was booked into the Land O' Lakes Detention Center.

Saturday morning at the Pasco County Judicial Center, a judge formally read the charges to Ronzino and set bond at $55,000.

Court officials say restrictions were placed on Ronzino in the event that he is released on bond.

He reportedly cannot possess any firearms, ammunition, or have any contact with two-year-old Smith, or go back to the home where the incident happened
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Links