Police accidently hit toddler while shooting bank robber

This is a discussion on Police accidently hit toddler while shooting bank robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police Accidentally Shoot Toddler - Local News on wokv.com Local News Police Accidentally Shoot Toddler By Jeff Hess @ March 26, 2010 7:05 PM Permalink ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Police accidently hit toddler while shooting bank robber

Police accidently hit toddler while shooting bank robber

Police Accidentally Shoot Toddler - Local News on wokv.com

Local News

Police Accidentally Shoot Toddler
    By Jeff Hess @ March 26, 2010 7:05 PM Permalink | Comments (0)
    A bank robbery leads to the accidental police shooting of a toddler.
    A bank robbery suspect is dead and a toddler wounded after a number of officers shot at the robber who was trying to flee.
    Police responded to a reported armed robbery at a bank on Baymeadows road. When officers got there, they chased the suspect as he left a south side bank.
    Undersheriff Frank Mackesy said the man tried to steal a car from a nearby fast food drive through lane.
    "One of the officers turned the corner armed with a shotgun. (He) saw the suspect and yelled for the suspect to stop. The suspect yelled 'I am gonna kill you'. The officer did not know if he was referring to him or to the woman behind the wheel of the car. The officer fired his shot gun," Mackesy said the officer wounded the suspect.
    The man managed to take the car and as he pulled onto Baymeadows, other officers fired into the car.
    "This is where it gets a little tragic...it gets a lot tragic. The suspect's car goes across the road, jumps the curb, goes to the final resting place on the opposite side of the road. When the officers approach the car, they see there is a two year old child inside and the child has been shot by the bullet," Mackesy said was shot by the officers.
    The suspect died in the hail of gun fire. The child was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. The driver was also shot in the foot and another child was in the car but was not hurt.
    Mackesy said the suspect did have a weapon although it does not appear that he fired that gun.

This was in Jacksonville.
    All I can say is keep your car doors locked and the windows up until you need to pay or get your food in a drivethru.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Always know your target and what is behind it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Senior Moderator
    This is very tragic, but I'm not sure that there was another choice...let the armed bank robber take the mother and child with him?
    If you had to make shot and decided not to take it, and later found the car with a mother and child both dead from 'said' dirtbag...how would you feel?
    This police officer is going to have some awful memories to deal with, but I feel that he made the only decision possible in the situation given.

Hopefully the child makes a full recovery.

I've stated many times, that Jax is an extra mag town.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad that this dirtbag will never threaten people again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^what ret said^^^^^^^^^

What the heck are you gonna do?
    Like ret said , you don't shoot, thug gets away, realizes occupants of getaway car are verygood witnesses, he caps everyone, dumps and runs .
    Officer did not excercise negligence in my book,,,JMHO

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
    His Holiness, the XIV Dalai Lama
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I for one am with the officer on this one given the current information.

No one can choose the time or the place for these kinds of things to happen.

Unfortunately we are going to get a lot of Monday morning armchair quarterbacking with 20/20 hindsight on this one.

Administrator
    Ughh. That is one of my biggest fears of being an LEO. I hope both the officer and child come out OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Always know your target and what is behind it.
    Sounds good in theory.

When shots are being fired both ways though, bad things can and will happen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sounds good in theory.

When shots are being fired both ways though, bad things can and will happen.
    Unfortunaely, very true. I've been in this situation overseas, and can attest to the fact that sometimes you are compelled / forced / obligated to shoot.

I hope everything turns out ok for the child and the officer(s).
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

I would also say the officer did the only thing possible. It's going to be rough for everyone. I'm no LEO but if someone put me in the same situation (my kids/grand kids) I'd do the same thing.

Of course I doubt I'd get the same consideration as an LEO, but in that case I feel (like this officer) that there would be no other options.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

This is the third such incident, where a baby was brought along during the commission of a crime, that I have read about in the last 10 days or so.

VIP Member
    This is truly tragic. Not trying to be harsh on the police, here a civilian shooter can be charged with a criminal act if a shot fired in self defense hits a third party.

We are responsible for where the bullets land.

The circumstances of this shooting were extreme, the error understandable and probably not preventable, but someone (everyone--the city) is going to end up paying for the error.

Let's just hope all involved are reasonable about reaching a fair minded settlement in the child's interest. Let the child not be victimized twice or three times-- by the idiot parents who took the kid along during all of this, by the shot fired, and by a slow paced protracted legal battle over compensation.

(Added later, reread the story and it isn't clear to me if the woman in the car was part of the robbery or an innocent being car-jacked. In any case, the child deserves appropriate compensation.)

Administrator
    Undersheriff Frank Mackesy said the man tried to steal a car from a nearby fast food drive through lane.
    "One of the officers turned the corner armed with a shotgun. (He) saw the suspect and yelled for the suspect to stop. The suspect yelled 'I am gonna kill you'. The officer did not know if he was referring to him or to the woman behind the wheel of the car. The officer fired his shot gun," Mackesy said the officer wounded the suspect.
    The man managed to take the car and as he pulled onto Baymeadows, other officers fired into the car.
    Seems clear to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Seems clear to me.
    I read it the same way, when the officer fired they were aware that this was a carjacking. Can't tell if the officer knew about the child until later, it's likely though the parent would have said something at the time.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

We may be responsible for every round we fire,but we don't go around arresting people,Sometimes the wrong people get shot and I'm sure every LEO that fired is regretting that a Innocent people were hit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If it was my wife and child in the car being carjacked I would want the LEO to stop it, even realizing lives are in danger. IMHO they are more in danger going with a scumbag.
    No win situation and it is very sad that an innocent was shot. Praying for the family and the LEO.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links