Walmart parking lot

This is a discussion on Walmart parking lot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woman held at gunpoint, husband punched in Walmart lot | punched, callaway, walmart - News - Northwest Florida Daily News Woman held at gunpoint, husband ...

Thread: Walmart parking lot

Walmart parking lot

Woman held at gunpoint, husband punched in Walmart lot | punched, callaway, walmart - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

Woman held at gunpoint, husband punched in Walmart lot
    Comments 15 | Recommend 0
    March 28, 2010 4:54 PM
    Andrew Gant
    Florida Freedom Newspapers
    CALLAWAY A robber punched a man in the mouth, held his wife at gunpoint and escaped from a Walmart parking lot Saturday night, according to the Bay County Sheriff's Office.

Priscilla Forehand on Sunday was hoping to hear about some lead on a suspect.

"Last night was really hard," she said. "I was having nightmares and flashbacks, you know, seeing the man holding a gun in my face... I really hope they take this thing serious, because that man may have killed us and he may kill somebody else if he gets away with it."

Forehand, 57, and her husband, 62-year-old Earl Forehand, left Walmart just after 9 p.m. Saturday and were loading their bags into their truck when a man came from behind Earl, told him to turn around and punched him in the face.

"He just come around with a left hook and hit him right in the mouth," Priscilla said. "When he turned back around, he had the pistol on me."

Earl wasn't carrying cash in his wallet, but his wife had $350 in her purse, according to a Sheriff's Office incident report. Priscilla recalled when the robber pointed his pistol at her, he said, "Give me the purse right now, mother (expletive), or I will kill you dead."

Then he reached into the truck, pulled the purse from where it was sitting, and left in a pewter SUV. With the purse, he took her cell phone, too.

Priscilla ran to another woman in the parking lot and used her phone to call 911. Someone else in the parking lot followed a silver Chevrolet Trail Blazer to a nearby Walgreens, but it was the wrong vehicle.

The Forehands described the robber as a white man with brown hair, about 5 feet, 10 inches tall and 175 pounds. He was wearing blue jeans and a dark shirt during the robbery. The Sheriff's Office issued a lookout alert for him and the vehicle, which had a Georgia tag. He is considered armed and dangerous, according to the report.

On Sunday, Priscilla said she was still shaken and her husband was not quite able to eat solid food. She said she plans to ask more questions of investigators Monday (when security tape should be available) than she did Saturday night, when she was panicking.

Priscilla said for years, she and her husband have come from their home in Wewahitchka to do their shopping at the Callaway Walmart. She never felt threatened until now.

"I was just fortunate my husband was there," she said. "I do go there alone."

Keep on your toes out there!!
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Pan handlers, robbers, drugs and shootings... and that's just before noon! It's getting so it's not worth the savings to go there anymore.

Still, a good place to break in newbie CCWers!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    It can happen anytime, anywhere. Never ever let your guard down. Carry always.
    NRA Life Member

Walmart draws the best crowds...
    Bet the thug was behind them in line as she paid for her purchases. $350 in cash is pretty easy to spot, making her an easy target. Thump the old man, take the purse.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

If you don't see it coming, you can't defend against it!

We may have a ccw permit in our pockets and a pistol on our hip, but if we don't see it coming we can't be effective at defending ourselves.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Walmart with my wife. We got a late start in the day so we ended up at Walmart later than we expected.

It was about 10:30 pm when we went to the truck with a very full cart. That night there seemed to be more than a couple people prowling the parking lot. Not going into the store and not going to a vehicle with bags or a cart. Kind of 1/2 loitering and 1/2 milling about. As it was in the 40's temperature wise and drizzling out, I suspected they weren't just enjoying the weather.

As I was loading the back of the SUV I surreptitiously unholstered, and placed the XD9sc on top of one of my cargo boxes in back of my SUV just to decrease my reaction time in case I was accosted by surprise.

Each trip back to the cart I would scan the parking lot before placing more bags in the truck, but if someone was approaching quickly, I did not want to be hindered from drawing my weapon from beneath a cover garment plus the rain coat I was wearing.

The big key here is while I'm always in condition yellow when out and about, I perked up to condition orange just because I didn't like the looks of the people milling around the parking lot at that time of night. I saw no overt acts such as loud angry voices or any commotion, but decided to escalate my level of alertness because I just felt the situation warranted it.

In other words, my "spidey sense" was tingling just a little.

Don't let people sneak up on you or approach you without disrupting their path of attack. This poor guy got clocked as soon as he turned around and then the attackers gun was out and in his wife's face.

While we'll never know for sure, had the husband spotted the attacker far enough in advance and the offenders body language put him on alert, he may have been able to thwart his attack by blocking his path with his cart and confronting him in an aggressive manner. That may have given the wife opportunity to lock herself in the car and start honking the horn.

We'll never know for sure, but if we don't see it coming, we may find ourselves on the short end of the stick even if we have a gun in our pocket.

Keep your awareness up... Especially during times of opportunity for criminals to strike, like loading the car in the Walmart parking lot.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Jeesh. What is it with Wallmart?
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

This is a good story about having situational awareness at all times, not just at places that crimials are known to frequent.

I have now found myself scanning the area of any place we go. Due to the increase of crime in places that had little of it before, it makes me a bit more wary of people "milling" around parking lots.

The Huntington, WV area where I live is having an increase of robberies, shootings, and the new thing, drive by purse snatchings in Wal-Mart parking lots.

The best thing we can do is not be oblivious to our surroundings and become the next victim.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Wow, they gave the description as a white guy. Did Priscilla hope they got some leed or led on the suspect, hopefully the latter?

Links