Unbelievable

This is a discussion on Unbelievable within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man charged with shooting automatic weapon into house gets a year's probation Comments 2 | Recommend 0 March 29, 2010 11:03 PM Jeremy Roebuck EDINBURG ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable

Unbelievable

Man charged with shooting automatic weapon into house gets a year's probation
    Comments 2 | Recommend 0
    March 29, 2010 11:03 PM
    Jeremy Roebuck
    EDINBURG — A man who fired an automatic machine gun into a Weslaco home last year, sending one woman to the hospital, was sentenced to one year probation March 22.

Santiago Martinez, 33, pleaded guilty to two counts of disorderly conduct — a lesser included charge of his original three counts of aggravated assault.

Prosecutors alleged Martinez stood outside the home on the 900 block of S. Illinois Avenue on Aug. 9, screaming profanities while firing blindly into the building.

Three people inside hit the floor as gunshots rang out, but a ricocheting bullet struck one woman causing minor injuries.

In addition to his probationary term, Martinez was ordered last week to pay a $750 fine and avoid future contact with the victims in his case.
    Somebody paid a buncha money to the DA and Judge,That's the way the Judicial system runs in South Tx...I mean North Mexico.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Holy cow! I'm also assuming this was an illegally held machine gun?

If it were me, I'd have been gigged for the full 10 yrs and $10,000 for the illegal gun charge alone.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

If it were me, I'd have been gigged for the full 10 yrs and $10,000 for the illegal gun charge alone.
    Yeah I'm betting it was an Illegal conversion,where the hell is the ATF
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

That would be a Federal issue. The Fed prosecutor should now bring charges and put him away.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Just another example of why the "gun violence" problem is not with gun owners but with the weak willed DA's and Judges. Maybe somebody needs to send them out on their can's. Slap on the wrist and a stern talking to ought to work for attempted murder, right?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Maybe he knows that his judge had a strange sex life.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I have no understanding of this at all.

That decision was just stupid!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'd say this will get Federal charges filed.

I posted a thread about a guy in my home state who converted a Bushmaster to full auto and they got him good on it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

AzB
    2+2=3?

Something isn't adding up here.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Yes DA I can tell you where the next shipment of dope is coming into the country...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Doesn't match up with this penalty...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ix-stupid.html

What makes the most sense here is that the gun was automatic as in to load, not fire...Thus being semi-automatic.
    Sensational yellow journalism once again.

Yes it's very possible for a citizen to own an 'automatic' firearm.
    Most all of us on this board have one with exception of lever & slide action long gun owners as well as revolver shooters.

As to having a _fully automatic_ handgun or longgun that too is a possibility for a civilian citizen to on, but the Federal steps & procedure as well as tax stamps involved pretty much reduces the numbers of owners down to not even a percent against all gun owners nationwide.

The odds of this man having actually had a _fully automatic_ gun rather than a semi-automatic gun are quite narrow.
    Not that it matters as in the end he clearly is an idiot and disturbed person, which for some odd reason Texas judicial has seen fit to issue him a hand slap as rather than a butt kick.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I posted this on a local bike forum that happened when I was in a gun shop.

Short Story

Went to GUNS (when it was open near harbor freight, different gun store)
    Cindy and I are in there looking at pistols (been looking at pistols for a while)
    a guy walks in and starts looking at a semi auto rifle (a .22 that has a 100 rnd drum, cant think of the model right now)

This is basically what goes on between them both

clerk: Hello, may I help you?
    Guy: I wanted to buy this one (.22) and convert it to full auto(Clerk grabs rifle)
    Clerk: It is illegal to modify a rifle to full auto (brings rifle back closer to him)
    Guy: But I want to use it at the ranch
    Clerk: It is still illegal to modify unless you get proper information
    (This is where cindy and I got close enough to hear but not be seen, had my hand on my knife and she did too)
    Guy: But I know you can do it, I want to take it out to the ranch
    Clerk: Sir, its against the law to do that.

I got fed up and stepped in

Me: If he sells you a rifle, and the clerk finds out you modified it in any way you will be thrown in jail (not verified just wanted to get him thinking)

Clerk: I can goto jail as well and I dont plan to goto jail for anyone so I wont be selling you a rifle..
    guy: (makes a face) and walks on

The clerk and I talked a bit and did not understand why someone would openly say they want to buy a rifle and modify it on camera and infront of people.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member

+1 Janq you got it

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What makes the most sense here is that the gun was automatic as in to load, not fire...Thus being semi-automatic.
    Sensational yellow journalism once again.

Yes it's very possible for a citizen to own an 'automatic' firearm.
    Most all of us on this board have one with exception of lever & slide action long gun owners as well as revolver shooters.

As to having a _fully automatic_ handgun or longgun that too is a possibility for a civilian citizen to on, but the Federal steps & procedure as well as tax stamps involved pretty much reduces the numbers of owners down to not even a percent against all gun owners nationwide.

The odds of this man having actually had a _fully automatic_ gun rather than a semi-automatic gun are quite narrow.
    Not that it matters as in the end he clearly is an idiot and disturbed person, which for some odd reason Texas judicial has seen fit to issue him a hand slap as rather than a butt kick.

- Janq

+1 Janq on the automatic issue.

It is still puzzling and disturbing that firing at a home would be reduced from 3 felony charges to a misdemeanor in a plea. But, we don't know the whole set of circumstances.

I'm less inclined to think corruption than I am to think there are facts we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yeah I'm betting it was an Illegal conversion,where the hell is the ATF
    The AFT is finding the really dangerous offenders, like those hardened air soft gun salesmen.

YouTube - AONW & the Tacoma "Machine Gun" ATF Confiscation
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links