Bad: Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker

Bad: Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker

This is a discussion on Bad: Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This one hits close to home. I visit this Publix and the other various stores in this plaza quite often... I'm not sure how quick ...

Thread: Bad: Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker

Thumbs up Bad: Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker

This one hits close to home. I visit this Publix and the other various stores in this plaza quite often... I'm not sure how quick TSPD showed up, as they are usually sitting in the parking lot by Panera bread at the other end of the plaza (free coffee and pastrys). As I see it, TSPD may have stopped a potential mass murderer. After shooting the guy in the parking lot, she went inside, where she was confronted by TSPD and ultimately stopped. Who knows how many people could have been killed, or maybe she was just out for the man. The news clip interviews a Publix employee who did exactly as I would. But of course after gathering my company...

For TSPD

Woman shoots, kills former Publix co-worker

TARPON SPRINGS (Bay News 9) -- Tarpon Springs police say a fired Publix employee shot and killed a former co-worker in the store's parking lot Tuesday afternoon.

According to police, former employee Arunya Rouch, 41, shot and killed 40-year-old Greg Janowski.

The shooting happened just after noon at the Publix on U.S. Highway 19 near East Tarpon Avenue in Tarpon Springs.

After shooting Janowski, Rouch walked inside the store. When a Tarpon Springs police officer arrived on scene, Rouch shot at him.

The officer returned fire and hit Rouch, who was taken by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center.

The officer was not injured. Rouch's condition has not been released

**Update: the man who was shot at the Tarpon Springs Publix has died.

http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/...x_Shooting_330

TARPON SPRINGS (Bay News 9) -- Tarpon Springs police said a fired Publix employee shot and killed a former co-worker in the store's parking lot Tuesday afternoon.

Arunya Rouch, 41, has been charged with first-degree murder.

According to police, Rouch shot and killed 40-year-old Greg Janowski.

The shooting happened just after noon at the Publix on U.S. Highway 19 near East Tarpon Avenue in Tarpon Springs.

Police said after shooting Janowski, Rouch walked inside the store in an attempt to kill other employees.

Tarpon Springs Det. Sgt. Trill and Cpl. Steven Van Schaick responded and were shot at when they confronted Rouch.

Trill returned fire and hit Rouch, who was taken by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center, where she underwent surgery.

Neither officer was injured, but Schaick was struck by at least one of the suspect's bullets in his utility belt.

Publix confirmed Rouch was fired earlier in the day but didn't say why.

In accordance with routine procedure, both officers were placed on administrative leave with pay, pending the outcome of the investigation.

The store is expected to reopen on Wednesday.

A Publix spokesperson said grief counselors will be available for employees throughout the week.
    Victim was a 'good guy'

A woman who worked with Greg Janowski (pictured) said he was a good man, and a devoted husband and father.

Ailean Bryant worked at Publix for five years and knew both Janowski and Rouch.

She said Janowski, who worked in the meat department, was friendly and went out of his way to help others.

"When we had the hurricanes in 2004, we were all working 24-7," she said. "It was just crazy trying to keep water in and things like that and Greg, for instance, even though he was working on shutting down the meat department, he's in there pulling these huge cartons of water and setting things up and helping get people in and out of the store. He just was a good guy."

Bryant said Janowski was also a devoted husband and father. She said many Publix employees view each other as family and they're taking the loss hard.

"A good man, a good man in the community, a good man in his home is gone," Bryant said. "Another woman, who we don't know why, but I mean whoever she was before, it's not her anymore. She's gone too."

TARPON SPRINGS - A woman who had been fired by Publix this morning shot a store employee to death in the Publix parking lot, then ran into the store, where she was shot several times after a gun battle with police, authorities said.

It all unfolded at about noon in front of dozens of shoppers and store employees.

"This lady comes running in, and next thing you know, the cops are in there after her,'' said 23-year-old shopper Nathan Buck, who was near the freezer section in the back of the store when the gunshots started. "She shot at the cops and the cops shot her.

"Once I heard the gunshots, I took off running. I'm not going to stick around and get shot.''

Police said Arunya Rouch, 41, shot Gregory Janowski at point-blank range with a 9 mm pistol as the 40-year-old Spring Hill resident was sitting in his car in the parking lot of the Tarpon Mall on U.S. 19, preparing to go into work. She then went into the Publix, where she tried to shoot several' other employees, her arrest affidavit said.

When police arrived, she shot at a Tarpon Springs police officer, police said. The officer returned fire, hitting Rouch several times.

Rouch was taken by helicopter to Bayfront Medical Center, where she was listed in critical but stable condition Tuesday evening.

This evening, she was charged with first-degree murder. Her arrest affidavit says she blamed Janowski for problems she was having at work and had threatened to kill him if she was fired.

No police were injured, although a bullet pierced the gun belt of one officer.

Police said it's amazing no one else was hit in all the gunfire.

"This is a crazy busy store and parking lot," said police spokeswoman Lt. Barb Templeton.

Company officials confirmed both Rouch and Janowski, 40, were Publix employees, and that Rouch had been let go earlier in the day.

Publix officials wouldn't say why Rouch had been fired.

The Publix store at Tarpon Mall remained closed all day. Cleanup has to be completed and grief counseling offered before the store can open, Publix spokeswoman Maria Brous said.

The store is scheduled to reopen at its regular time Wednesday morning, but employees who are too upset from the shootings will not be required to show up to work, and grief counselors will be at the store.

Many people at the strip mall didn't realize what had happened but became alarmed when they saw dozens of Publix employees and customers running out of the store towards the parking lot.

"I heard four pops," said Charles Leach, an employee at Kween Klean, a business in the strip mall that is in plain view of where the parking lot shooting occurred.

"I was sitting right there," said Leach, as he pointed to a chair next to a window in the laundry. "I thought it was firecrackers."

After the shooting, police received a report that Rouch's husband was heading to the Publix and he was armed, Templeton said. Police intercepted him in the Tarpon Mall parking lot. He was unarmed but was detained for questioning, Templeton said.

As soon as the shooting started, witnesses started flooding police with 911 calls; the store is about a block from the police department.

Detective Sgt. Mike Trill raced to Publix with a backup officer not far behind.

"He located her in the store very quickly," Templeton said. "She shot at him, and he returned fire."

Templeton said a bullet pierced the gun belt of Officer Stephen Van Schaick.

Trill, a plain-clothes detective, is a 16-year veteran of the Tarpon Spring Police Department, Templeton said.

Tarpon Springs police will investigate Janowski's death. Because an officer was involved in the shooting of Rouch, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement will investigate that shooting.

Trill and Schaik have been placed on administrative leave with pay during that investigation, standard procedure when police are involved in a shooting.

Publix employee Sam Harrison was upstairs in the break room when the shooting started. "We just heard a lot of poppin' and I recognized it as a gun," Harrison said.

Harrison said he knew Janowski.

"I think he was a good, family man. We always talked about sports," Harrison said.

Christina Blanco of New Port Richey is a family friend of Janowski. She said Rouch was upset at Janowski over work issues.

"He just told her she was going against Publix policy and to knock it off because everyone was going to get in trouble," Blanco said. She did not specify what policy Janowski said Rouch was violating.

She said Janowski had three children and had recently gotten married after being engaged for a number of years.

"He was the best dad in the world,'' Blanco said. "He'd do anything for his little girl. He worked all kinds of crazy hours to give her everything.''

Reporters Natalie Shepherd and Samara Sodos contributed to this report.
    Last edited by schwaa; March 30th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Apparently it was a rapid response by TSPD. Good for them. Probably saved others inside the store!

for the police!

As far as the shooter's concerned... I have no use for her, she can leave this earth now!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

She's wasting our oxygen.

TSPD
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Maybe a 3-way love tryst, and she was outed by the guy, and maybe the other woman was inside????
    She was fired? and was getting payback, wrongfully.???
    Who can say for sure right now.
    People get off kilter so quick and easy now days, its scary.

Nikita Krushchev:
    Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

It's a shame this kind of thing has to happen, but it seems to be picking up speed, what with our economy and all the jobs leaving the Country. Probably got laid off, losing her house, car, etc.

"Police said after shooting Janowski, Rouch walked inside the store in an attempt to kill other employees."

A friend of mine has a couple of old high school friends who work at the Publix. Via FaceBook social networking, I was able to view some of their discussions regarding their day at work. One of them mentioned hearing gun shots, not knowing what to do, then hiding behind the sandwhich/sub making counter..... Great plan eh?.... Not knowing what to do could have gotten them killed.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

thats a 1st for TSPD ......but lucky for everyone they were in the right place and reacted as they should ...good job TSPD

Even shopping at Publix can be life threatening...here is proof that leaving the firearm at home because one is just running up to the store is a poor argument for not being armed.
    Stay armed...24/7...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    This mornings paper said that the shooter was fired after threatening to kill another employee the day before, then thinking the man she actually killed was the one who had her fired, shot him in the parking lot. This will be more fuel for the anti's when in reality it's just another nut job.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Even shopping at Publix can be life threatening...here is proof that leaving the firearm at home because one is just running up to the store is a poor argument for not being armed.
    Stay armed...24/7...stay safe!

Great point

Well said

Never ever leave home with out one

Sponsored Links