Again -- Robbers pose as police

This is a discussion on Again -- Robbers pose as police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well this time it wasn't posing as phony LEO. Hudson Reporter - Another ?home invasion? Robbers pose as police to enter home Posted April 4 ...

Thread: Again -- Robbers pose as police

VIP Member

Thumbs down Again -- Robbers pose as police

Well this time it wasn't posing as phony LEO.

Hudson Reporter - Another ?home invasion? Robbers pose as police to enter home Posted April 4 2010

Another ‘home invasion’
    Robbers pose as police to enter home
    Posted April 4, 2010
    by E. Assata Wright Reporter staff writer
    Apr 04, 2010

A Radio Avenue resident was the victim of a robbery on March 23, according to officials in the Secaucus Police Department. A man, accompanied by two others, flashed a badge or some other ID and identified the trio as police officers in order to gain entry to the victim’s apartment, police said.

Thieves have allegedly used this ploy in other robberies in Hudson and Bergen counties, including another incident in Secaucus last year.

“We are in touch with surrounding jurisdictions that had similar incidents,” said Det. Sgt. Thomas O’Keeffe of the Secaucus Police Department. “All of the jurisdictions that have had similar incidents are all working together to get arrests in these cases.”

The similarities between the Radio Avenue and Second Street incidents are unsettling.
    ________

O’Keeffe said the male victim was bound but he declined to say what was used to restrain the victim. Another official said the victim was also gagged, although, according to O’Keeffe, he was unharmed.

“There really is not much more I can say without jeopardizing the investigation,” he added.

The incident took place at 2 Radio Avenue, which is an apartment complex.

The thieves are described as two Latino men and one black man. Aside from the victim, O’Keeffe said no other witnesses have come forward, and neighbors did not see anything suspicious.

Because the matter is under investigation the department released few other details last week.

However, they did release descriptions of the three suspects. One suspect is described as a light-skinned Latino man, about 5’ 1”, with a bulky build. This suspect might have been bald.

The second suspect is described as also being Latino, but with darker skin that the first man. This suspect was about 5’8” with a chunky build and a “shape up” hairstyle.

The last suspect was tall black man who is over 6’ and who has an athletic build.

Similar incident last year

This alleged incident comes almost a year after a similar crime took place on Second Street.

Last April, two women were bound and robbed by two assailants who also allegedly pretended to be police when they showed up at the door. They then looted the home for valuables.

Police are still looking for the two suspects in this case. One suspect is described as a white male in his late 20s or early 30s with a tall, slender build. The victims described the second suspect as a black male in his late 30s, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10 inches tall, with a stocky build. Police have a composite sketch on file for the second suspect.

“These types of crimes have happened all throughout New Jersey, where men have used the same ploy on victims who open their front doors because they believe the men are police officers,” said Secaucus Police Chief Dennis Corcoran.

Including the incident involving the women, there were six residential break-ins reported in Secaucus within the first four months of 2009. When asked if there had been any arrests made in those cases, O’Keeffe said last week, “No, there have not.”

Special unit created

In the wake of last year’s break-ins, Corcoran created the Special Police Detail within the Police Department’s Investigation Bureau last February specifically to address residential burglaries and thefts.

“This Police Detail [consists] of personnel from both the Uniform Patrol Bureau and the Detective Bureau,” Corcoran said. “Police personnel were assigned to residential neighborhoods and [supplemented] the regularly assigned Uniform Patrol Bureau personnel in those neighborhoods. All personnel assigned to this Detail were instructed and supervised in proactive policing.”

But the similarities between the Radio Avenue and Second Street incidents are unsettling and are sure to rattle local residents who were already unnerved last year.

“We don’t have that many breaking and enterings in Secaucus,” said Mayor Michael Gonnelli. “But in incidents like this, it raises the level of concern. We don’t want people to be frightened. But we do want people to be aware.”

In response to fears within the community, the Town Council last year approved the hiring of four new officers. Two officers joined the force last year. Two more are expected to be hired later. The addition of these four officers will bring the department total up to 61 cops.

“The next police academy training is in June and we hope to hire two people from that class,” Gonnelli said.

Last year, Corcoran said that under ideal budget conditions, he’d prefer to have a total of 63 officers, but he believes the department’s size is not a problem. He rejected community criticism that the department should have 68 officers as it did back in the 1980s, when crime in Secaucus was higher than it is currently.

To avoid becoming the victim of a break-in, Corcoran recommended that residents do what he called “common sense things.” He suggested that residents lock their doors when they leave home, make sure mail and newspapers are picked up when go away, and be aware of suspicious people who appear to be lurking.

If someone claims to be an officer, firefighter, or utility worker, the mayor said residents should request a photo ID that includes the name of a department or agency and includes a signature.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I get tired of hearing of this...

If you are not sure who is at your door Do Not Open It. Apparently that is quite a difficult concept for a vast majority of people to grasp.

If you did not call the police and have no reason to expect the police at your door, how hard is it to look outside for a marked patrol vehicle outside. How hard is it to call 911 for verification that the police are really at your door.

There is nothing so important, if it is the real police at your door for an "unannounced visit", to stand there and wait for you to verify who they are via your local dispatcher if you are unsure.

There is no way most people are ever going to think this way, so, these stories will never end completely. We will continue to read of these incidents and the public at large will keep saying... "what do we do?"
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Any LEO worth his salt will not object to you taking the time to verify who they are prior to admitting them to your house. If you are a real BG and they want you that bad, after the quick "POLICE" your door will be opened without your assistance being needed.

Take the time to verify.

Trust, but verify...

Call 911...and announce that you're doing so...stay armed!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Trust, but verify...

Call 911...and announce that you're doing so...stay armed!
    This is good advice!

How ever in our small county I know most of the LEOs personally.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Heres another one to add:

Maryland Men Charged with Robbing Virginia Poker Games | ABC 7 News

""FAIRFAX, Va. - Six Maryland men have been charged with armed robbery for stealing cash, jewelry and credit cards from two private poker games in Fairfax County (web | news) last month.
    Police suspect even more robberies occurred but that victims have been unwilling to come forward and admit they were gambling when they were robbed.

The charges stem from robberies that occurred on March 12 and March 22 in Fairfax County. At least one of the suspects wore a black T-shirt with "POLICE" written on it. Others wore masks and brandished guns.""

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    *Ding Dong*

"Baaah?"

"Police open the door!"

"Baah"

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Any LEO worth his salt will not object to you taking the time to verify who they are prior to admitting them to your house. If you are a real BG and they want you that bad, after the quick "POLICE" your door will be opened without your assistance being needed.

Take the time to verify.
    That's my concern, If a BG breaks down your door and announces "POLICE!" should I drop him where he stands as he hasn't provided me with any id? I am NOT a BG so wouldn't expect LEOs to break down my door. This happened to my nephew a few years ago in Orlando. He got the crap beat out of him (they were BGs).

Quote Originally Posted by novarod View Post
    That's my concern, If a BG breaks down your door and announces "POLICE!" should I drop him where he stands as he hasn't provided me with any id? I am NOT a BG so wouldn't expect LEOs to break down my door. This happened to my nephew a few years ago in Orlando. He got the crap beat out of him (they were BGs).
    For me that answers the question right there.

There is no reason on earth for the police to make a no knock raid on my house. Anyone breaking in is getting shot. If it should turn out to be the police doing a no knock at the wrong address (highly unlikely) I will probably be shot and killed also.

Links