[Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves....

[Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves....

This is a discussion on [Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves.... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Texas border towns fear violent spillover from Mexico 12:22 PM CDT on Friday, April 2, 2010 By ALFREDO CORCHADO / The Dallas Morning News acorchado@dallasnews.com ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves....

Exclamation [Merged]Texas LEO's advise residents near the Mexican Border to ARM themselves....

Texas border towns fear violent spillover from Mexico
    12:22 PM CDT on Friday, April 2, 2010

By ALFREDO CORCHADO / The Dallas Morning News
    acorchado@dallasnews.com
    EL PASO – Texas law enforcement officials are bracing for a bloody weekend along the border, advising farmers to arm themselves as signs across northern Mexico point to a new escalation of violence after coordinated drug cartel attacks against the military this week.

In the northern Mexican states of Nuevo León and Tamaulipas, both bordering Texas, drug cartel gunmen used trucks and buses Tuesday to block approaches to military bases in Reynosa and Matamoros, apparently in an attempt to trap the troops inside. In all, gunmen attacked military targets in a half-dozen towns in the two states.

At least 18 suspected attackers were reported killed. One soldier was reported wounded.

The unease across Mexico has analysts and political leaders questioning the Mexican government's long-term strategy, with at least one leading expert saying the approach is flawed because some "government elements" unwittingly favor one cartel over the other.

The result has been a "feeding frenzy" of violence, said Phil Williams, an expert on global security who spoke this week at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, southwest of Fort Worth.

Across West Texas, worries abound of possible Easter weekend massacres in tiny Mexican communities butting up against Texas. In Hudspeth County, near El Paso, Chief Deputy Mike Doyal said Thursday that his "deputies are on high alert, 24-7," for any sign of "a spillover of violence."

The alerts were prompted by street banners and online messages from alleged members of the Sinaloa cartel warning residents of Mexican towns to leave by Easter Sunday or face death and burned homes.

The Sinaloa cartel is battling members of the Juárez cartel for control of distribution routes into Texas. Cartels are also known to use the banners and online messages to spread fear and intimidate residents without following through on threats.

In recent days, according to residents with relatives on the Mexican side of the border, at least six homes and businesses have been burned. Hundreds of residents reportedly have either fled to nearby Ciudad Juárez or sought refuge with relatives in Texas.

Doyal said tensions over the past few weeks have reached a "boiling point."

"The word on the street is, 'You have to leave or pay with your blood,' " Doyal said. "This is supposed to be the weekend of weekends. So, yeah, we're on high alert."

He said he has four of his 15 deputies on duty in Fort Hancock, up from the lone deputy who normally patrols the community.

Earlier in the week, the Sheriff's Department held a community meeting in which authorities advised residents, "If you're out on the fields, arm yourself," Doyal said.

Border Patrol spokesman Doug Mosier issued a statement Thursday evening urging calm "amid unsubstantiated reports of violence, threats and intimidation."

Mosier said the agency has increased the number of agents on duty and is "determined to prevent violence from spilling over into the U.S."

Worries about IEDs
    In Tamaulipas and Nuevo León, across the border from South Texas, the Gulf cartel is battling its former enforcers, the paramilitary group known as the Zetas.

In an alarming new development, the criminal groups are experimenting with improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, said Alex Posey, a Mexico security analyst with Austin-based Stratfor.

"The most worrisome thing about an IED is that it's not as targeted as a rifle round," Posey said. "There is a greater risk of collateral damage when IEDs are involved."

At a news conference in Mexico City, Gen. Edgar Luís Villegas called the attacks in northern Mexico "desperate acts" in reaction to "the advances made by federal authorities." Some residents and experts scoffed at the statement, saying that the situation is spiraling out of control.

A businessman in Reynosa, speaking on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation by criminal groups, said by telephone that the military "reacts like spectators at a bullring."

"They sit around and watch while hit men kill each other, and then they come in and clean up the mess, even the blood of innocent people who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time," the businessman said.

The U.S. Consulate office in Monterrey issued a warning Thursday for Easter weekend: "Americans planning to travel by road from Monterrey to Texas should be especially vigilant and carefully monitor local news reports."

In Chihuahua state, across from El Paso, 4,500 federal agents were expected Thursday night to take over for the military, which will remain active but in a support role.

Favoritism allegations
    Meanwhile, the accusation that the government was favoring some cartels – particularly the Sinaloa cartel and its leader, Joaquín "Chapo" Guzman – gained new credence from security experts.

"The best example of this favoritism is that Chapo Guzmán is the most wanted man in Mexico and yet he's still free," said drug trafficking expert Bruce Bagley of the University of Miami, also speaking Monday at Tarleton State. He said the leader of the Sinaloa cartel has better intelligence than the government. "There's no other rational explanation."

"There's tacit favoritism, it seems, for the Sinaloa cartel," added Williams, the expert on global security from the University of Pittsburgh.

The government counters that it has detained 72,000 criminals since President Felipe Calderón took office in December 2006 and that all the major groups were well represented according to their relative strength: 27 percent of detainees belong to the Gulf-Zetas organization, 24 percent to the Sinaloa cartel, 17 percent to the Juárez cartel, 14 percent to the Beltrán Leyva organization, 13 percent to the Arellano Félix cartel, and 5 percent to other groups, including La Familia and the Valencia-Milenio cartel.

"This government has attacked indiscriminately all the criminal groups in Mexico," Calderón said last month.

His strategy of sending the military after the cartels has led to steadily rising violence and almost 19,000 deaths in a little more than three years.

The biggest challenge with the Calderón strategy, said Jorge Chabat, a security expert in Mexico City, is "growing fatigue" among residents.

"I don't know that residents will tolerate this kind of violence much longer."
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

IED's now? You know, folks, the army spent considerable time and effort teaching me to construct such demo and it's pretty easy to rig up a field expedient CLAYMORE or FOUGASSE (ground mounted napalm) or other such tools.

I submit that likely avenues of approach should be rigged with a few "ring mains" (pure mine ambushes that are trip wire detonated with no friendly personnel present) to put an damper on these kinds of incursions. Sure we might take out some innocent bystanders who also just happen to be breaking US law already.... but those would be acceptable losses if the overall problems slow significantly.... Do I sound too cold blooded? Sorry I take the murder of US Citizens very seriously and after all, it is a front in the WAR ON DRUGS and TERROR.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    IED's now? You know, folks, the army spent considerable time and effort teaching me to construct such demo and it's pretty easy to rig up a field expedient CLAYMORE or FOUGASSE (ground mounted napalm) or other such tools.

I submit that likely avenues of approach should be rigged with a few "ring mains" (pure mine ambushes that are trip wire detonated with no friendly personnel present) to put an damper on these kinds of incursions. Sure we might take out some innocent bystanders who also just happen to be breaking US law already.... but those would be acceptable losses if the overall problems slow significantly.... Do I sound too cold blooded? Sorry I take the murder of US Citizens very seriously and after all, it is a front in the WAR ON DRUGS and TERROR.
    ^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

I can t even imagine living down there. Can you see trying to live with your family, and not go insane. I am with you on that thought.
    tough crap if some dope smugglers, Illegal aliens or the like meet an untimely demise. It was THEIR choice

Tough Kadiddlehoppers to em'
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Let the Mexican people arm themselves, too. They are slaves to their gov't and the cartels without them.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I hope all the violence stays South of the border, but if it does not it might make us finely seal the border.

Sealing the border real tight would move the drug traffic somewhere else and give relief to folks on both sides if the border.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Holy Christ, this is getting out of hand. You get a few IED's going off on U.S. soil and people in this country are going to go absolutely bat guano!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Let the Mexican people arm themselves, too. They are slaves to their gov't and the cartels without them.
    I fully agree!!!!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

It's getting really bad and there is a lot that people never hear about unless you live down here,I'm gonna start packing my RRA AR15 with 6 30 rounders in my Jeep.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm gonna start packing my RRA AR15 with 6 30 rounders in my Jeep
    Plus your back ups! Ya'll be careful!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

So has the zombie apocalypse we've all be prepairing and stockpiling for turned into the defense of the mexican cartel advancement?
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Duk,

Be safe(st) man.

I do not want to read about or of you in some news media (or DC.com memorial) next week or at some time thereafter.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This thread is about the Border Zone, but Colorado Springs has turned into a war zone, just on a lesser scale. Like the Border several years ago. What the Border is now, is destined to migrate north.

Ya'll be careful, and try not to be under gunned!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    So has the zombie apocalypse we've all be prepairing and stockpiling for turned into the defense of the mexican cartel advancement?
    Just remeber to work on your cardio.

Articles such as this make me happy I live in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    ...make me happy I live in Maine.
    Cancer, mold and rust most often will spread. : |

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The biggest challenge with the Calderón strategy, said Jorge Chabat, a security expert in Mexico City, is "growing fatigue" among residents.

"I don't know that residents will tolerate this kind of violence much longer."
    It's only a matter of time before they... um... hmmm... what exactly WILL they do?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links