Good: School shooting that didn't happen.

This is a discussion on Good: School shooting that didn't happen. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Brandishing a loaded handgun at teachers and students in at least two Hastings Middle School classrooms Monday, an eighth-grade student spread terror but fired no ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brandishing a loaded handgun at teachers and students in at least two Hastings Middle School classrooms Monday, an eighth-grade student spread terror but fired no shots before being tackled and subdued by a school police officer.

"It was the closest thing to a school shooting without firing a gun," said Michael McMenomy, Hastings police chief. "We don't know whether he didn't want to shoot or whether the gun jammed."

School officials had ordered the building locked down at about 10:30 a.m., when the 14-year-old was spotted in a hallway with the gun. He burst into a fourth-hour science class and pointed the gun at teacher Mike Rapatz and his students, who were too stunned to even leave their seats.

He fled back into the hallway, pointing the gun at staff members who hadn't heard the lockdown announcement and trying to break into other classrooms as frightened students sent text messages to friends warning them of the approaching danger.

Confronting one locked door, the student used the gun to break out a pane of glass, thrust his arm through the opening and unlocked the door. Again he pointed the gun at the class, but fled without shooting.

Moments later, Tim Connell, the school's police officer, caught up to the youth as he ran down a flight of stairs and out of the building, where officers from Hastings and Dakota County were waiting. But it was Connell who tackled the youth from behind, forcing him to the ground where he was arrested.

Connell, reached by phone late Monday, deferred comment to the police chief, but added, "I will tell you this, though: By the grace of God, no one was hurt. We owe it all to him."

The student remained in custody at the Dakota County Juvenile Detention Facility Monday night. Authorities said they expect to charge the suspect, who was identified only as a foster child in his first year at the Hastings school, with multiple felonies.

The lockdown was lifted shortly after noon, leaving students, parents and school officials and police with at least two puzzling questions: Why did the student bring the gun to school and why didn't he fire?

"I have no idea," said Principal Mark Zuzek. "There was no information about a potential motive for him to come into the building with a handgun."

Parent Angie Brown said the student tried unsuccessfully to enter her daughter's classroom, leaving the child terrified as she sent text messages to her friends about what was happening. Brown says she's uncertain how her daughter will respond Tuesday when she returns to school. She said she was upset that school leaders didn't alert her sooner to the potential tragedy unraveling at the school.

"What made me mad was I didn't find out until my daughter texted me," Brown said.

Police said they had had no contact with the boy before Monday's incident, but that they are getting reports from other local agencies that had contact with the boy in the past. Police also said they believe the gun used in the incident belongs to the foster family.

Incident was a first

McMenomy said he couldn't recall any other gun incidents at a Hastings school. Some students have brought knives to school, he said, but the vast majority of those incidents were unintentional.

After the arrest, police kept the school locked down to search the building for accomplices, a sweep that took more than an hour and turned up nothing.

School officials said they have asked students to tell them if they have firsthand information about the incident. In a note to parents and guardians placed on the school's website, Zuzek asked that students turn over to police any written or electronic communication that may have some bearing on the case. "If your son or daughter was in a classroom the student entered, they have already been asked to provide a written statement. Additional interviews will occur over the next several days," Zuzek's note said.

School staff followed their crisis response program to the letter, which they practice five times a year, Zuzek said.

Afterward, Zuzek gathered the staff at the local Days Inn motel to go over their procedures and discuss what will happen in coming days. If they could change anything, said Zuzek, it would be to put unbreakable glass in the door window panes.

The principal added that the vast majority of students were not directly involved in the incident. Nonetheless, he said, considering the psychological development of middle school students, the school plans to have additional staff on hand in the counseling office for the next few days to help students.

------

This is at my town's middle school, I know the police officer who tackled him. I'm more disappointed at the police/sheriff response, it's the old Columbine "set the perimeter and wait" and not an immediate 2-person entry team. The good? The officer who stopped him is a really good guy I know from church and a class I taught, and I'm glad he didn't have to shoot a kid.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I heard reports he had a .22 revolver. It seems to me it could have been a single action and he didn't know how to use it.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Keep us posted. It would be interesting to know what the kid's motive was.

Wow! I bet this kid gets an In School Suspension...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank God nobody was hurt. It sounds like he either did not know how to operate the weapon, or that he had no intention of actually hurting anyone, just trying to get some attention? Well, he's going to get plenty!

It will be interesting to find out what motivated the boy to go to this extreme.
    If he was seeking attention, his mission was accomplished.

So many troubled kids out there because they have no positive role models who will teach them boundaries between right and wrong.

I was watching a Documentary yesterday where a girl killed her Mother. Her biggest regret is her Mom didn't take the time to discipine the girl when she stepped out of bounds.
    And the girl commented she did that to get her Mom's attention.
    So one day she talked her boyfriend into helping her kill Mom.
    The Boyfriend is one Mom should have ran off a long time ago, but didn't bother. So his evil influence over the girl turned her evil too!

Sad! I remember how tuff it was raising a child as a single parent.

Confronting one locked door, the student used the gun to break out a pane of glass, thrust his arm through the opening and unlocked the door. Again he pointed the gun at the class, but fled without shooting.

Hopefully they replace the doors with better ones than these.

He fled back into the hallway, pointing the gun at staff members who hadn't heard the lockdown announcement
    He burst into a fourth-hour science class and pointed the gun at teacher Mike Rapatz and his students, who were too stunned to even leave their seats.
    Thats a great reporting system when several people never heard the warning,and Its a good thing the kid couldn't use the gun.I'm betting the Gun Owner is now gonna be in trouble
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I understand jail isn't the place for every troubled kid... But I'd say this kid should have just used up his last chance. Foster child with history of "multiple felonies."

I'd say the plan the authorities has outlined to keep him in mainstream school system isn't working. Any attempt to keep trying a method of dealing with him that clearly isn't working is going to result in a tragedy sometime in the future.

This kid now needs to be under direct supervision in a locked facility. He appears to be a ticking time bomb. Next incident likely will not have such a good outcome.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Yep, now he gets to hang out with real criminals and learn how to make his gun work the next time.

Some more details out: It was a .22LR revolver that he took from a locked cabinet in his foster parent's house (he found the key.) The pistol wasn't fully loaded, they did find one cartridge in the hall, and he wasn't carrying extra ammo. No more word yet on why, but this means he didn't show up intending to kill a whole bunch of people.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I guess the 14 year old didn't see the "no guns" sign?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

If you are doing multiple felonies, why would you be worried about a little sign?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Foster parents weren't allowed to have guns in the home under federal law.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    If you are doing multiple felonies, why would you be worried about a little sign?
    Exactly...

it was said tongue in cheek my friend
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links