Search for Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter Continues

This is a discussion on Search for Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter Continues within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Search for Parkway Shooter Continues Posted: Apr 05, 2010 8:40 PM EDT Updated: Apr 06, 2010 9:09 AM EDT A manhunt is underway this morning ...

Thread: Search for Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter Continues

Search for Blue Ridge Parkway Shooter Continues

Search for Parkway Shooter Continues
    Posted: Apr 05, 2010 8:40 PM EDT
    Updated: Apr 06, 2010 9:09 AM EDT

A manhunt is underway this morning after an attack last night left at least three people injured, including a state trooper. It happened just before 8:00 p.m. Monday on the Blue Ridge Parkway, near the Humpback Rock area, just south of Afton Mountain.

Approximately 25 law enforcement officers from various agencies are participating in the manhunt. Officers are looking for a white male , approximate age 50 - 60, with long gray/ white thinning hair. Officers believe the suspect is armed with a shotgun, and was driving a red vehicle, possibly a Ford Taurus.

Monday night multiple agencies confirmed reports of at least three people injured, possibly more, spread throughout the area.

A male victim is reported in critical condition this morning. Another victims, an 18-year-old female, is listed in "fair" condition, according to a hospital spokesman. We have been given her name off the record but we are withholding it until that name is made official.

The condition of the second victim, a male, is unknown at this time. There have been indications that it may have been a fatality, but we have not received official confirmation.

The third victim is said to be a state trooper who was not shot, but injured in a rescue attempt. The trooper's injuries are said to be not very serious.

The National Park Service issued a statement at approximately 5:15 this morning – 9 hours after all this began – in which they say they are calling this a ‘double shooting.'

Karen Beck-Herzog of the National Park Service stated "I can confirm that an incident occurred on the Blue Ridge Parkway at the Rock Point Overlook in the evening last night. And, that there were two victims, a male and a female, both adult, I don't have any information about their condition. There's currently an investigation ongoing between Augusta County, the National Park Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation."

As a precaution and to make sure the scene is clear for their investigation, the National Park Service has closed the first 13 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway from Rock Fish Gap entrance on Afton Mountain all the way to mile post 13.

A complicating factor for the search is the lack of communication on Afton Mountain. Also, the Park Service is having technical problems with their transfer tower.

We have a crew on the scene; count on us to bring you all the developing details of this story.

Reported By NBC29 HD News

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12260508

2. Remove Ads

I hope they find the individual responsible for this before he can hurt anymore people. I also pray that the victims recover fully.

Man there are a lot of 'nuts' out there...hope that this one is picked and crushed real soon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

well if he's using a shotgun he will be in easy rifle range,hope they light him up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There's always a crazy, no matter where you are. You can be out in the middle of nowhere with some beautiful scenery and awesome weather, then have some psycho ruin our day. I'm glad we are now able to carry legally in national parks, as the BRPKWY is considered a national park along its entire length. I enjoyed a few miles of it last month, and I have to say that I would hate to get into trouble(medical,flat tire, shooter, etc) while on that road. Hopefully this guy gets whats coming.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Yeah, nice to be able to carry now. I was on the BRPW around Asheville today. I liked being able to keep it on me instead of locking it up. I'm sure this will get spun in the direction of why guns are bad in parks. And they will totally ignore that this guys is either a nutcase looking for victims or possibly knew them. Not sure whether I feel like it's more random or personal. Not much info, but to just come up on someone at an overlook and shoot them. Crazy!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Too much speculation on your part. We really don't know that much right now. However, I don't think there will be too much spinning on this issue. There have been a number of robberies, assualts, and another shooting in the Afton Mtn. area and along this part of the BRP.

This is just a few miles from my home. Just because the scenary is nice, you can't let your guard down.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yeah, nice to be able to carry now. I was on the BRPW around Asheville today. I liked being able to keep it on me instead of locking it up. I'm sure this will get spun in the direction of why guns are bad in parks. And they will totally ignore that this guys is either a nutcase looking for victims or possibly knew them. Not sure whether I feel like it's more random or personal. Not much info, but to just come up on someone at an overlook and shoot them. Crazy!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Suspect arrested:

Tipster led cops to Blue Ridge Parkway shooting suspect
    Man sought in shotgun attack on two sunset watchers is seized

By Amanda Codispoti | The Roanoke Times

A phone tipster led authorities to the man charged in Monday's shotgun attack on two Blue Ridge Parkway sunset gazers. The suspect was arrested today by Augusta County Sheriff's Office SWAT team officers, authorities said.

The suspect, Ralph Leon Jackson, 56, was arrested about 3:15 p.m. in Stuarts Draft, according to Monika Mayr, deputy superintendent of the parkway. Law enforcers moved in on him after a 2 a.m. Crimestoppers tip and seized the car, shotgun and ammunition they believe used in the crime, Augusta County Sheriff Randy Fisher said today. Jackson "has made incriminating statements," the sheriff said.

Jackson was charged with two counts of attempted murder and firearms offenses.

"There was no rhyme or reason. We don't know why," said Fisher of the gunman's motive.

The victims, a 27-year-old man and an 18-year-old woman, were hospitalized at University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville after a man drove up to the Rock Point Overlook near the parkway's northern end and blasted them in the back from his car window, authorities said.
    http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/242590
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I sincerely hope that the man and woman recover quickly.

Glad the perp was captured. At his age he will probably die in prison; a fitting end for a driveby shooter.

Links