Elderly Man Shoots Home Invader

This is a discussion on Elderly Man Shoots Home Invader within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Kudos to the gentleman. A sad story with a happy ending, he is alive to tell it tonight... Carnation burglar shot, wounded by elderly homeowner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderly Man Shoots Home Invader

Kudos to the gentleman. A sad story with a happy ending, he is alive to tell it tonight...

Carnation burglar shot, wounded by elderly homeowner | KING5.com | Seattle Area Local News
    Guns are meant to be shot Harley, not thrown!

Congrats to this elderly home owner, but it's too bad the dirtbag will live to enter more homes with bad intentions.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Elderly Carnation Man Shoots Burglar Who Attacked Him
    by LINDA BRILL and TERESA YUAN / KING 5 News
    Posted on April 7, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    Updated today at 5:35 PM

CARNATION, Wash. – An elderly homeowner shot an intruder who attacked him inside his home Wednesday morning.

It happened at Vern Grant's home in 3600 block of Lake Langlois Road at about 5 a.m. It started when the suspect smashed the windows of Vern's handicap van and rifled through his medicines.

"The guy was screaming crazy things and he was berzerk. He threatened to kill him," said Ernie Grant, Vern's brother.

Next, the intruder went for the back door of Vern's home, shattering the glass and entering.

"He threw his pills all over. He was ripping cabinets open. He was just … the house is trashed. The kitchen is trashed," said Ernie.

Vern, who turns 76 on Thursday, has Parkinson's Disease and diabetes. But he was able to fight back. Vern says the intruder was screaming and incoherent.

"He reminded me of Manson," said Vern.

The intruder hit Vern in the head and nearly killed him until Vern shot the suspect in self-defense.

"You just have to do it. If you don't, he'll kill you," said Vern.

After Vern shot the intruder, he made it to a neighbor's house for help.

"I was amazed he could do that because he has a difficult time walking," said Hall.

Vern suffered a head injury. He was treated and released from Snoqualmie Valley Hospital. The suspect was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with non-life threatening injuries.

It's been a very difficult time for Grant, an Army veteran. His wife died just two weeks ago and now this happens.

"You'd do the same if you thought he was going to kill you, wouldn't you?" said Grant.

Police believe the suspect may have been a transient with a Louisiana driver's license and living in the woods. He will likely be charged with burglary. Vern, police say, most likely won't face any charges
    "You just have to do it. If you don't, he'll kill you," said Vern.
    Absolutely 100% Correct! You must be prepared to take care of yourself. Even if you're disabled or handicapped.

The monsters are ruthless and have no conscious.

I'm glad he was finally able to repel the monster!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Good for the home owner he still has fight in him.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

We woke up to the sound of helicopters passing over our house this morning. This happened just a little over a mile from our house, in a rural area just outside of town.

Lesson for BGs from this: Don't mess with old veterans.

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    Lesson for BGs from this: Don't mess with old veterans.

My dad's 84, a WW2 vet, has a carry permit and usually carries a .25 auto.

We're going to the range Friday. I'm going to let him try my PT709. It's not much bigger than his little .25 and bites a little harder.

He's a gentle man, but he knows how to shoot and defend himself. I pity the fool that tries to tangle with him.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Don't pick a fight with an old man...he's too old to fight and he will just kill you!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At that age if some worthless prosecutor tries and convicts you for murder and you get a life sentence,that's like what ....next week
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Storys like this bother me sometimes because my mom has altimers and parkinsons, so I run around locking doors and night and making sure stuff is closed befor I leave (She's a work aholic) thats mostly what she remembers real well. :( Luckily for me my grandmother lives next door and I watch both houses when a noise is heard.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

The only thing that could improve on this story, would be a little better bullet placement!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The only thing that could improve on this story, would be a little better bullet placement!
    Yup. Really no need for a scumbag like that to continue sucking air!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    At that age if some worthless prosecutor tries and convicts you for murder and you get a life sentence,that's like what ....next week
    I hope that comment was said in jest. I feel that it was uncalled for, sorry. I am 72 and look forward to more than a few weeks.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Finally a good Gun story in the press in WA. We have had too many sad stories lately. Good for him. Too bad we will have to pay for the morons medical bills now.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    I hope that comment was said in jest. I feel that it was uncalled for, sorry. I am 72 and look forward to more than a few weeks.
    Let's hope it was in jest. Best wishes for many more happy years on this planet before you cross over to the other side.

The following quote from the article was what really got my attention:

"Police believe the suspect may have been a transient with a Louisiana driver's license and living in the woods. He will likely be charged with burglary. Vern, police say, most likely won't face any charges."

Now THAT is unbelievable! A man is attacked in his own home and police say he "most likely" won't face any charges for defending himself!

Carnation and the surrounding area isn't one to play games in. Like one of Vern's neighbors said, everyone around there is armed. Mostly independent types who have had creeping civilization thrust upon them over the past several years. Too many strange faces about now.
    Kinda getting to be that way in quite a few rural/former rural areas of the state.
    Everyone I know is tired of the crap and refuse to be victims. Period.

Good job, Vern

Our prayers and condolences on the all too recent loss of your wife.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links