Embarrassing: Police academy instructor shoots self in front of class. - Page 2

Embarrassing: Police academy instructor shoots self in front of class.

This is a discussion on Embarrassing: Police academy instructor shoots self in front of class. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Cupcake I don't get it. If you're cleaning a gun and have to pull the trigger for diassembly I can see an ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing: Police academy instructor shoots self in front of class.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I don't get it. If you're cleaning a gun and have to pull the trigger for diassembly I can see an ND. Your still an idiot for not clearing the weapon first, but I can see it. What I don't get is "accidentally shot self in leg" or foot or head. They must randomly pull the trigger while handling the gun? What part of a firearms safety class requires an instructor to pull the trigger outside of the range? Am I wrong?

Is it normal for people handing a firearm to randomly and mindlessly pull the trigger as if they were clicking a ball point pen?
    What about 'always point the gun in a safe direction'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Shot in the upper right thigh? That sounds like an ND while holstering. Finger, jacket toggle, shirt tail, or something getting in the trigger guard...

Yeah, those recruits will probably learn the gun safety lessons better than most. SIXTO, if you ever do find out any details you can sure, it'd be appreciated. When experienced folks have accidents like this, there is generally something to learn.

ETA: Folks in this thread seem to be assuming a classroom setting where ammo should not have been present. I disagree. The article doesn't say anything about a "class"; it refers to a demonstration at the firing range. That makes me specifically assume that live fire was supposed to be involved. Police on the range draw from holsters, and thigh is a natural point of impact for during a holstering mishap. Hence my conclusion above...
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; April 11th, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Extra comment.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I'm glad he and every body else is ok. A lapse in safety?? We can all learn from this if thats the case..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

sgb
    Ooops ...........
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Embarrassing? I'd say probably painful. Relate embarrassment with the loss of a limb or death. Play it safe all of the time......there's simply no substitute for that.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know this guy; he is a good guy and knows what he is doing. ........
    Well, he's probably a great guy and a fabulous LEO and all that stuff. But as far as "knows what he is doing", well, the evidence speaks for itself.

Luckily, no one killed or seriously injured. A good learning experience for us all. Never take gun safety lightly.

Speedy recovery to your friend.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

We had something similar happen in the local Sheriff's Reserve Academy although with no injuries. We had been dry-firing at the walls and the instructor loaned his personal firearm to a student (cleared, empty etc.) and then had a disabled gun in his holster. At the end of the class, he took his weapon back, loaded it and replaced the demo-gun. Just as we were about to be dismissed, he decided to punctuate the end of his lecture with a review of firearm presentation from the holster (LAPD method 1: hand on gun; 2: pull straight up; 3: rotate forward while flipping off safety; 4: weaver stance; 5: fire!) and fired a round past us (I was sitting on the aisle) and into the wall at the back of the room.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

VIP Member
    "Familiarity breads contempt."

When a person thinks "it'll NEVER happen to me", look out!

I will not criticize this instructor. I've never met anyone who was perfect and who never had a slip and was negligent. Thank God those mistakes don't always end up in someone getting shot and often aren't even known by anyone but the person making the mistake.

Yes, we all strive for that perfect record as we should but don't ever think it can't happen to you. You might just get humbled!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I will try to read and remember this one, with all of those others copied and pasted and posted and printed by my other gun-loving sisters and brothers. My friends, Civil War reenacting season begins again, and every one is full of people and fun and cannons and horses and kids and guns; in short, of course, every such or similar outdoor or indoor event is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. And they will until everybody is too broke, or scared or poor to sponsor or participate or perform or put them on anymore. It hurts worse when "experienced veterans" make the mistakes that break them and ruin them for all...except for the boohooers and suers and lawyers. No, I do not scoff, snear, joke or laugh when I read and hear about such and similar mistakes...that I will "probably" never make.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Well, he's probably a great guy and a fabulous LEO and all that stuff. But as far as "knows what he is doing", well, the evidence speaks for itself.

Luckily, no one killed or seriously injured. A good learning experience for us all. Never take gun safety lightly.

Speedy recovery to your friend.

-
    Good point; but brain farts happen to everybody, its a part of being human.

No excuses for him, it shouldn't have happened. However, I'm not prepared to be arrogant enough to say it will never happen to me. Vigilance is key to safety.

I'm still waiting to hear the details. Things are tight lipped right now. I have heard that it was a students gun that was not cleared prior to leaving the range (obviously). That is unconfirmed info.
    Triggers get pulled all the time in classroom settings, but chambers are roped or otherwise made inert.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The fact that this didn't have a tragically lethal ending is a result of pure luck, not quick thinking or expertise. He might be a great teacher, but he got careless with something that can kill. I suspect his recovery will provide ample time and motivation to reflect on his level of focus.

I'm very glad nobody was killed or critically injured, including this instructor. I also hope it scared the crap out of him.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Anytime I pick up a gun I clear it for myself,"assuming" can get people hurt or killed,"I thought you said it was empty" can be life changing words
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Mic
    I shouldn't laugh, but stuf like that is funny as long as no inocent people are hurt. How's the ol saying go? those that can, Do.... those that can't, TEACH
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

In school my teacher use to drop a book on the desk to wake us up,this guy took it up a coupla notches

Remember the Federal LEO in the courthouse that shot himsellf when holstering his gun,cover garment got stuck in trigger guard as he pushed gun down
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Shot in the upper right thigh? That sounds like an ND while holstering. Finger, jacket toggle, shirt tail, or something getting in the trigger guard...
    And if that is what occurred, then the take-away we should all remember is this: it can happen to anyone.

It's all too easy to get a portion of clothing hung up, or an aging body/sweat guard on a holster to flop over and catch, or ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links