Seven shot on Canal Street

This is a discussion on Seven shot on Canal Street within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; New Orleans Metro Crime and Courts News Tracking local crime, criminal justice and courts news in metro New Orleans, Louisiana Breaking News, Orleans Parish Crime ...

Thread: Seven shot on Canal Street

New Orleans Metro Crime and Courts News
    Tracking local crime, criminal justice and courts news in metro New Orleans, Louisiana
    Breaking News, Orleans Parish Crime »
    By Ramon Antonio Vargas, The Times-Picayune
    April 10, 2010, 10:57PM
    Michael DeMocker / The Times-Picayune
    Two injured men lie on Canal Street at Bourbon after several people were shot near the McDonald's in the 700 block of Canal Street on Saturday, April 10, 2010.
    Seven people were shot Saturday about 9:15 p.m. in the 700 block of Canal Street, near Royal Street, New Orleans police said.
    Jeb Tate, a spokesman for the city's Emergency Medical Services, said one victim arrived at a nearby hospital in guarded condition. The rest were in stable condition.
    Authorities said the shootings apparently followed a chance encounter at a McDonald's between two young men who had gotten into a dispute during Carnival.
    One of the two, a 17-year-old who apparently was the intended target, was shot in the torso and was expected to be kept overnight at LSU Interim Public Hospital.

The other victims were a 15-year-old girl, wounded in the leg; two 21-year-old men, wounded in their legs; a 50-year-old woman, wounded in the left shoulder; a 25-year-old man, wounded in the left foot; and a 20-year-old man, wounded in the right leg. Those six were all expected to be released late Saturday after treatment at LSU's trauma center, Assistant Police Superintendent Marlon Defillo said.
    Police were looking for two young men. One of them handed the gun to the shooter, who opened fire outside the fast-food restaurant. Chaos erupted after the sounds of the gunshots -- dozens of people standing nearby stampeded away in all directions, according to several eyewitnesses.
    Defillo described the shooter as a young 5-foot-6 man wearing dark clothing and a dark baseball cap. The other suspect wore long dreadlocks and dark clothing.
    Investigators planned to review surveillance footage from McDonald's security cameras. They found a semi-automatic handgun at the scene, Defillo added.
    Officers placed numerous green Tropical Isle Hand Grenade containers and plastic beer cups near numerous shell casings to mark them.
    The French Quarter Festival, taking place near the shootings, was scheduled to wrap up for the day at 9 p.m. It is not clear if any of the victims not involved in the dispute were attendees.
    Recommend (0)
    Print this Email this Share this:
    Previous story: 2 Slidell clinic owners charged in 'pill mill' scam
    Next story: Man shot dead in eastern New Orleans

Story tags: french quarter | new orleans | new orleans crime | nopd

Comments (62 total) RSS Post a comment
    Oldest comments are shown first. Show newest comments first
    Next comments » 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Posted by prestonsdad
    April 11, 2010, 1:30AM
    Posted by prestonsdad
    April 10, 2010, 11:57PM
    First of all, when you referred to Ocean Beach in Miami, I assume that you meant Ocean Drive in Miami Beach as many people seem to believe that these two independent cities are interchangeable. Secondly, there was a fatal shooting on Ocean drive while I was attending last month's South Beach Wine and Food Festival. The police said that the shooting was not connected to the festival. That is usually the story here also, but believe what you will. The link to the Miami Herald story is here: Suspect sought in fatal South Beach shooting - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com

I can understand that you may have missed this story as it was not widely reported, but I can't believe that you missed the recent mayhem in New York following the New York Auto Show. Here is a link to that story: 1 arrested in shooting amid Times Square mayhem On newyorkcrimestatistics.com

The bottom line is there are people in every area who are intent on causing trouble and inciting violence. This problem is not unique to New Orleans. It really isn't always about us. The world does not revolve around New Orleans, and we are not the center of the Universe. Maybe we should be, or maybe we should expand our horizons and see what is happening in other cities before always judging ourselves as being, "the worst", "the only", "wrong", "backwards", whatever. Sometimes it is the truth, sometimes it is not.
    Inappropriate comment? Alert us.

Posted by Numb
    April 10, 2010, 11:49PM
    A bit harsh don't ya think?

Posted by kasnola
    April 11, 2010, 12:11AM
    Then move away. If you hate the city so much, then get your degree from some other school; I dont want you to be an alum from mine.

Posted by unogradstdnt
    April 11, 2010, 12:42AM
    kasnola:

I clearly stated that I am leaving. Furthermore, I was awarded a B.S. from UNO, therefore I am already an alum. Welcome to the club. Lastly, I matriculated into a Ph.D. program at UNO but, my distaste for this swamp caused me to pare my academic career back to the Master's program so I can leave this hole as quickly as possible.

Posted by kasnola
    April 11, 2010, 1:25AM
    you would rather ***** about the city instead of trying to do something about it? you got your degree here and are now fleeing, and you wonder why the city is in tatters? Its because of people like you. Stop complaining and stick around to change things; Make it a better city with your education and knowledge. What hope is there here if all of the people who are educated leave like you will?

Posted by atom511
    April 11, 2010, 12:49AM
    I agree, kasnola. Go privateers =)

Posted by Deecute1
    April 11, 2010, 12:30AM
    leave, Im sure your credits transfer. Let me know where u plan on going so I can give you a nice tip.

-UNO grad student as well

Posted by Deecute1
    April 11, 2010, 12:27AM
    As long as racist like you participate I support. In fact I may help fund it. No use for folks to dont respect all life. Let me know if you are interested I think we can have this lil event arranged, what you doing next mardi gras?

Posted by Deecute1
    April 11, 2010, 12:06AM
    Couldn't have said it better "newtonawlins".
    Folks like this contribute to the problems with ignorance. Most tourist destinations have these problems, no coincidence most of them made the U.S Crime list, Miami, Vegas, N.O, NY. Motive and opportunity, but again only an idiot would assume that an entire race be subjected to this lifestyle.

Posted by Numb
    April 11, 2010, 12:23AM
    My point exactly, this area is prime real estate. Give the land to the gays, and in 5 years the area will be 10 times the value it is now! Check out Virgina Highlands in Atlanta, or the Grant Park Area. Those places were ROUGH, not anymore, those dilapidated homes were purchased for 40k-80k now they are listing between 500k and 750k.

And I am not trying to be offensive, or PC. just being real

Posted by unoforever
    April 11, 2010, 1:06AM
    Curious that we've had a gaggle of bigoted posters take what is in fact a violent crime story with the responsibility for the violence upon an individual shooter and project it upon the majority of our fellow citizens. It is another sad day/night here in New Orleans.

Another Katrina legacy -- 8000 certified educators and support staff fired after the storm in the bid to capitalize upon the disaster. We have the most charter schools in the nation -- yet the very children needing the help are mostly excluded from these privately-run / publicly-paid institutions.

Actually the Mardi Gras elites/shadow government tried to keep away most working class and poor folks -- all predominately African American -- from New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Read the final draft of the Bring New Orleans Back (BNOB) plan to verify:

http://www.bringneworleansback.org/P...l%20Report.pdf

Were this plan to have been fully implemented, most of this city would've remain uninhabited -- including many of the areas in which yourselves may be living now. The devastation that this attempt to demographically reshape the city is now coming home to roost. We kept closed our public schools for nearly a year, displace thousands of solidly middle class professionals in the process. Plus the refusal to reopen and revitalize town-home style public housing developments (go to Felicity and St. Thomas Streets Uptown to see how original New Deal-era brick housing was revitalized. Compare with the barren wasteland that Lafitte Housing Development has become).

Unfortunately the decisions of a few are causing our city to reap what they've sown. THis is disaster capitalism at work.

Posted by drummer230
    April 11, 2010, 1:04AM
    After reading every comment on this story, I can't help but notice that YOU are the most ignorant, racist person posting.

Posted by LarryDman
    April 10, 2010, 11:23PM
    They just have to keep that damn "brand" alive in the City..... Shameless disregard for human decency and life.... a bunch of thug-animals out of control.

Posted by titchy
    April 10, 2010, 11:25PM
    This should make Nagin happy. More good branding for New Orleans, as he said. No doubt Riley will bury this statistic so that there were no problems over FQF weekend

Posted by kasnola
    April 11, 2010, 12:12AM
    nagin is no longer mayor, pay attention.

Posted by mysteries
    April 10, 2010, 11:31PM
    Thugs are scaring tourism away for crying out loud.

Posted by Numb
    April 10, 2010, 11:40PM
    New Orleans needs to do as Atlanta did before they hosted the Olympics. They took all the trashy projects from center city, where all the international tourist were going be, closed them down, rebuilt them, and cleaned up the area. Thus reducing the crime rate near Georigia Techs campus.

All the folks that were in the projects were spread through out the outer city limits.

Posted by unoforever
    April 10, 2010, 11:51PM
    *shakes head over all the ignorant, racist comments on this blog*

btw -- New Orleans has demolished the big four public housing developments and per capita we have MORE VIOLENT CRIME. People who lived in the developments overwhelmingly were working, were women and committed no crimes.

Look in the mirror before you post and please leave you hoods in the garbage.

Posted by Numb
    April 11, 2010, 12:02AM
    haha, hoods in the garbage. great stuff.

How bout you leave tha hood out of your music that you play for your youngest children every day. Try that. Sensor your children's Music/TV/Internet/Friends and this $hit would be a thing of the past.

Raise your kids right.

Posted by Deecute1
    April 11, 2010, 12:25AM
    All that did was distribute crime throughout the entire city. When the N.O tries to close units down folks protests bc they don't want subsidized units in their neighborhood. its a NIMBY complex. Also Atlanta has so much opportunity for jobs that folks have options so the crime rate can decrease because of it. There is no real opportunity in N.O for all.

I'm curious why you posted all the online comments to the story. Those kinds of comments are usually just chitter chatter that is of little interest to forum members and clutters up the post.

This story sounds like a bunch of drunk immature teenagers and young adults shooting up a group of people.

I tend to avoid drunks and crowds for just that reason.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Whew, it's New Orleans. I thought my next Dim Sum trip to NYC might be compromised.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I used 2 live there. Went back 2 repair our home when I was shot this 20yr old kid tried. Who to rob me of 10ten dollars July 26,2008. So I warn all folks who I meet to avoid the same fate as I went 2 thru. Well until a new police chief gets in office it wont get any better in my opinion. There are animals down there.
    Last edited by jabbo; April 11th, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: wrong word. word errors.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
    I used 2 live there. Went back my 2 repair our home when I was shot this 20yr old kid tried to rob me of 10ten dollars July 26,2008. So I warn folks who I met to avoid the same fate as I went 2. Well until a new police chief gets in office. There are animals down there.
    No doubt New Orleans is bad, but, I think this is a typical story that could be played out in any number of US cities. Most just go unreported.

I live in a relatively small town, even though it is the capital city of Florida, its still small compared to Jacksonville or Miami. Still, the past two or three years have seen shootings very similar to this one you posted. We have had several incidents at McDonalds where multiple people were shot. They just never made the national news.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I actually recently visited that city, and while true this could have happened any where, I actually stayed at the hotel across the street. That spot I walked down to smoke a cigarette, and promptly walked back up to my room and stayed indoors the rest of the night. Too many thugs, predators, and out right thieves walking around that area looking for prey.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Whew, it's New Orleans. I thought my next Dim Sum trip to NYC might be compromised.
    ROTFLMAO! I'M A NATIVE NEW YORKER!!!! i was thinking the same thing!!! what no more shopping for cheap watches and bags.....
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

whew, it's new orleans. I thought my next dim sum trip to nyc might be compromised.
    rotflmao! I'm a native new yorker!!!! Xxxxxxxxxx double entry
    Last edited by can2boy; April 11th, 2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: DOUBLE ENTRY
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Was this also caused by Bush and FEMA and Katrina?

VIP Member
    That bad guy shooter - young, 5'6" man wearing dark - sure can't shoot straight. Sorry for the seven victims. Thankfully, none of them has apparent, life-threatening injuries, although some may be life-changing.
    As a lesson from the street - shot placement counts.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I'm from New Orleans. Left years before Katrina ripped the city apart. Still gotta lotta family there though.

The mayor never could clean up the city... too concerned about consolidating his own personal power. New mayor = Worse.

It might one day recover. I remain optimistic. Still some really good people there, fun things to do and my Saints.

Until then, go armed and prepared.

But before that, use your head!!! Don't go into the French Quarter at night alone. Don't go down dark streets, etc. etc. Certain parts of the city don't go into day OR night. Even the popo doesn't go some places if they don't have to. Prob true with alot of big cities. Use that most important 5" of turf between your ears first!

So there.
    Glock 36 with Lasermax / Glock 23 / Glock 21. Ruger SP101. Taurus 85.

DZSG (Designated Zombie Survival Gun) = 870 Remington Tactical Shotgun

This can happen anywhere. This is why we cc and do not want our guns taken away from us. If the entire Country would adopt the Vermont guide lines, the crime in this Country would take a steep nosedive. As it would be just dangerous for the criminal element.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    For a second there I was really glad I when to Flushing yesterday instead.

Canal and Royal? That's a nice area right outside of the French Quarter. I've walked that area many a time.
    IMO, the folks of New Orleans need to forget Katrina, forget waiting for Uncle Sam to fix their lives, forget their lousy politicians, and clean up their own mess.
    I used to love to visit N.O. Now, if I never went back, it would be fine.
    I'll bet there is still trash from Katrina in people's front yards. (there was the last time I was there.)

Sponsored Links